Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 14 2008, 08:15 PM   #136
Csalem
Commodore

Re: Shore Leave

Great line up and with the trade paperbacks we are almost back to two books a month. Now I must go speak with my bank manager...
Old July 14 2008, 08:39 PM   #137
captcalhoun
Admiral

one day, i'm going to get to the US in July and be at Shore Leave and ComicCon...

maybe if my book takes off, i'll get invited...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2008, 09:05 PM   #138
Christopher
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
FYI: I just got word that the panel on the 4400 book program has been moved to 11 am on Sunday. The change won't make the printed programs, alas, but look for us in the Hunt Room at eleven.
Alas, I got the news too late. I would've liked to see that panel. Except in that hour I was busy getting ready to check out of my room.

terpette wrote: View Post
You're not going to eat that nasty overpriced food at the hotel, are you? =P
I got a rather nice chicken caesar wrap, which was a bit pricey, but I didn't have many other options.

By the way, one thing I discovered on the way back from Shore Leave last year, and took advantage of again this year: 7-Eleven sells surprisingly good shrinkwrapped sandwiches. Most convenience stores' sandwiches are just styrofoam white bread around processed meat and fake cheese, but these are downright gourmet food by comparison. I think the one I had for lunch on Friday was turkey with dill Havarti cheese and roasted tomatoes on focaccia bread.

tenmei wrote: View Post
My favourite cover is the one for Over A Torrent Sea, because it's the first time we're presumably seeing my beloved Ensign Aili Lavena!
Yep. When we show you Aili Lavena, we don't do it by half-measures!

Baerbel Haddrell wrote: View Post
I find it very interesting that NF will be a trade paperback for the first time and we get an omnibus as harcover! Enterprise as a trade paperback that is not a novelization, that is new too!
Bookstores love trade paperbacks because they bring in a higher "price point" (i.e. more money per copy) and are apparently considered more prestigious-looking. So expect to see an increasing number of TPBs in the future.

Has anyboy some more information about the new New Frontier novel "Treason"? Is it another Destiny related book?
According to TrekMovie.com, it isn't.

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
and my answwer is: yes i will wait. i've waited on the MMPB release of every NF HC and i'm waiting for the TPB reprint of the IDW comic series.
So... you'll buy a TPB that reprints comic books, but you won't buy a brand-new TPB?

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
I've been meaning to ask, is that the official title? If so would it be ok if I added to the Memory Beta entry.
At the moment, yes, that's the official title - I originally used the phrase as an email subject line, then when it came time to pick a title I said "cos we'll never get away with that," Marco said we'd stick with that as he liked it...
Well, if the shows could do titles like "A Fistful of Datas" and "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places," I don't see why "Reservoir Ferengi" would be a problem.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2008, 10:08 PM   #139
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
So... you'll buy a TPB that reprints comic books, but you won't buy a brand-new TPB?
The question was tangentional on whether there would be an MMPB reprint (which we still don't have an answer for, by the way, to anybody in the know who might be reading). Different mediums work best in different formats, not too strangely. TPB are best for comics because you don't have to deal with the flimsiness of individual comics, or the adverts, or the gaps of time between the squirt of story a single comic actually contains. MMPB are better for prose because of their portability, and there's no imagery where a larger page might be advantageous.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old July 14 2008, 10:38 PM   #140
Jim Johnson
Writer

I got a rather nice chicken caesar wrap, which was a bit pricey, but I didn't have many other options.
Andi and I packed a cooler from home with lunchmeats and bread and stuff for lunches on Saturday since we were sick to death of the crappy cafe food four years in a row. It's an advantage to driving in which I know a lot of people aren't able to do, of course.

Maybe we need to work out something for next year. Nothing wrong with saving a little money and (heaven forbid) eating somewhat healthy.
Old July 14 2008, 10:56 PM   #141
Dancing Doctor
Admiral

Location: At the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound
View Dancing Doctor's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dancing Doctor

For those who flew in, what was the financial damage report?

Loyal member of the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees
Dancing Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2008, 11:13 PM   #142
tenmei
Fleet Captain

Yeah, how much does Shore Leave cost to attend? If I can convince my partner to let me go, it might be fun to go next year - if I've not been offered a contract that starts pre-summer by then!
Old July 14 2008, 11:45 PM   #143
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

hmmmm... maybe there is an incentive to write for IJCAI next year after all......
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 07:39 AM   #144
captcalhoun
Admiral

ah, but see the comic book Trades are a different (and more manageable) size to the 'novel' trades. and plus all my Ultimate Marvel trades are together on a shelf in a nice matching format. an NF TPB wouldn't fit on the shelf with the NF MMPBs and wouldn't match the rest of the set either.
Old July 15 2008, 09:09 AM   #145
HIj'Qa
Fleet Captain

Jim Johnson wrote: View Post
Andi and I packed a cooler from home with lunchmeats and bread and stuff for lunches on Saturday since we were sick to death of the crappy cafe food four years in a row. It's an advantage to driving in which I know a lot of people aren't able to do, of course.

Maybe we need to work out something for next year. Nothing wrong with saving a little money and (heaven forbid) eating somewhat healthy.
FYI - The Wegmans supermarket in the Hunt Valley Mall across the road has an extensive salad/sandwich/hot food buffet for take-out.

It was amusing catching Christopher munching away between panels!

I ran around from 10 am to 4 pm or later without eating anything. Now I'm back home and hungry all the time!?!?!?
HIj'Qa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 04:34 PM   #146
Deano2099
Commander

captcalhoun wrote: View Post

ah, but see the comic book Trades are a different (and more manageable) size to the 'novel' trades. and plus all my Ultimate Marvel trades are together on a shelf in a nice matching format. an NF TPB wouldn't fit on the shelf with the NF MMPBs and wouldn't match the rest of the set either.
Put it next to No Limits?
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 04:53 PM   #147
HIj'Qa
Fleet Captain

Man of Steel wrote: View Post
Can someone post pics of Shore Leave?
There are peoples' pics up on Flickr, search "Shore Leave 30". If you see Rodney McKay you're at the right place!

Also some on Photobucket.
HIj'Qa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 08:18 PM   #148
tenmei
Fleet Captain

Put it next to No Limits?
Which really wouldn't work if, like me, he tries to put things in chronological order - when I get home I might even try to put EVERYTHING in my Trek in chronological order given I've got a month off with very little to do.
Old July 15 2008, 08:50 PM   #149
captcalhoun
Admiral

No Limits is on a seperate shelf with TDW and TFCT, while the SCE TPBs and the MU pair are on the shelf below.
Old July 15 2008, 09:20 PM   #150
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

I have so little space, I put my HBs and TPBs at the back in descending height, and the MMPBs at the front in the order they've been read, except I try and put series, like TTN and VAN, together. I currently have about 100 ST novels, and they take up almost two full shelves.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote