Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 26 2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Christopher
Writer

IDW Trek comics plans for '08-'09

TrekMovie.com is reporting the latest Comic Con announcements from new IDW Trek editor Andrew Schmidt:

http://trekmovie.com/2008/07/26/comi...f-trek-comics/

In addition to what we already knew about, the John Byrne Romulans: The Hollow Crown and the Alien Spotlight II series including a Klingon tale by KRAD and a Q tale by the Tiptons, the highlights include this:

Star Trek - The Last Generation (November)
Written by Andrew Steven Harris, illustrated by Gordon Purcell
A five issue ‘Myriad Universe’ (not Mirror Universe), story akin to the new Pocket Books Myriad Universe stories. The background ‘what if’ premise is that Kirk did not save the Federation President at the end of Star Trek VI and a war erupted between the Federation and the Klingons with the Klingons eventually conquering Earth. Series takes place seven decades after STVI, or around the same time as the early seasons of TNG. The series will feature alternate timeline versions of Worf, Picard, and Sulu.
Neat. Will it actually use the Myriad Universes heading? (And will article writers ever figure out that "Myriad" takes a plural noun?)

Also:

John Byrne will follow his two-issue Romulan series with another series and a number of different ideas are being discussed, but the veteran hasn’t yet decided which one he wants to do yet. One possibility has the working title of ‘Crew’ which would be a pre-TOS era series set on a shake-down cruise. Another possibility is a follow up to his "Assignment Earth" series from this year.
Other tentative ideas include a movie prequel and adaptation, a Titan series (which I'd love to participate in if it happens), and maybe a Captain Sulu series.

Schmidt's plans sound very ambitious and intriguing. It's great to see Trek comics going strong once again, and I love the greater ties with Pocket's Trek fiction program.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: IDW Trek comics plans for '08-'09

Sounds great! I also love the greater ties with Pocket's work, and I've been crossing my fingers for more stuff like this ever since the New Frontier series was first announced.

A Titan series would be awesome, especially written by you, Christopher. I have to admit that my first thought was Mangels and Martin, as I've read and enjoyed their comics work before, but I'd be just as happy if they did the proposed Sulu/Excelsior series instead. Have you written any comics before?

I would also love to see a Vanguard book. Either a mini or a one-shot would be cool (Of course, I would prefer a mini). Come to think of it, I've read and enjoyed David Mack's comics work before as well...

A Titan or Excelsior series or even Byrnes's propsed "Crew" series would be a good way to see if an on-going series with an evolving storyline would work for them. My favorite Trek comics in the past were the ones with evolving characters and storylines (Starfleet Academy, Early Voyages, DC's first run).
Old July 26 2008, 09:56 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

I have no formal comics experience, but I'd like to get some.

Old July 26 2008, 10:32 PM   #4
DarkHorizon
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Neat. Will it actually use the Myriad Universes heading? (And will article writers ever figure out that "Myriad" takes a plural noun?)
According to Andrew Harris' comments on Newsarama's report, yes.
Old July 26 2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Cool! The Myriad Universes storyline idea sounds very interesting, especially since The Undiscovered Country is my favorite Star Trek movie.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 11:29 PM   #6
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I would also love to see a Vanguard book.
Pick up Uchu, the third volume of the Star Trek manga. Vanguard Station appears in one of the stories.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 11:47 PM   #7
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

I myself would love to see the Titan in Comic form, I have been trying to get samples of my work over to IDW, but have heard nothing back from them. A Vangaurd and Sulu comic also cound like a great Idea.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 12:07 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer

DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
Do you mean comments in the sense of blog-type comments in response to an article, or do you mean his statements quoted in the article proper? Because the article proper calls it a Mirror Universe story, and I can't find any comments of the other sort on the article page. Do you have to be registered to see comments or something?

Old July 27 2008, 12:42 AM   #9
DarkHorizon
Captain

Do you mean comments in the sense of blog-type comments in response to an article, or do you mean his statements quoted in the article proper? Because the article proper calls it a Mirror Universe story, and I can't find any comments of the other sort on the article page. Do you have to be registered to see comments or something?
The former. It's at the bottom of the page, about five comments in (registration isn't needed) - he addresses the Mirror/Myriad error, and goes on to state:

It'll have the Myriad Universe trade dress, include excerpts from some of the Pocket Books novels, the works
Old July 27 2008, 12:55 AM   #10
JD
Admiral

Wow, sounds like they are doing some really cool stuff next year. I would love to see an ongoing monthly Titan, Excelsior, or Vanguard series, especially if the Pocket authors were involved. That MyrU story definitely sounds cool, and I'm really happy to see that they are actually using the MyrU title with it.
Old July 27 2008, 01:09 AM   #11
Christopher
Writer

The former. It's at the bottom of the page, about five comments in (registration isn't needed) - he addresses the Mirror/Myriad error, and goes on to state:

It'll have the Myriad Universe trade dress, include excerpts from some of the Pocket Books novels, the works
Okay, apparently it was a browser issue. The comments don't display in Opera; I had to open the page in Firefox. The Internet is weird.

Old July 27 2008, 01:24 AM   #12
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Okay, apparently it was a browser issue. The comments don't display in Opera; I had to open the page in Firefox. The Internet is weird.
Or maybe Opera is just weird. I'm a Firefox user (since the 0.99 days) and 3.0.1 simply rules.

By the way, I finished Greater Than the Sum last night. A review is forthcoming, but I'd like to say: very nice job.

EDITED TO ADD: A Titan series would simply be awesome, as would a Vanguard one. It would tip the scales for me to start buying more of IDW's Trek comics.
Old July 27 2008, 02:35 AM   #13
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
Or maybe Opera is just weird. I'm a Firefox user (since the 0.99 days) and 3.0.1 simply rules.
Odd, of all the things in the world Christopher and I agree on, we agree on the splendiforousness of Opera.

There are websites that browser sniff and serve Opera incomplete pages. Newsarama appears to be one of them. Masking Opera as Firefox worked, and brought up the comments.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 04:23 AM   #14
Christopher
Writer

^^How do you mask Opera as Firefox? And why would websites deliberately deny content to certain browsers?

Old July 27 2008, 05:17 AM   #15
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The Last Generation sounds really cool...I wonder if it will be based on the "Yesterday's Enterprise" timeline but I guess not if its branch off point is Kirk saving Chancellor Azetbur?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote