Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 18 2008, 01:31 PM   #106
Neroon
Mod of balance

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

My son went to see it at midnight, and I really wanted to go with him. Couldn't swing the costs (as in sleep and work I'd miss), though. In any event, he said it was "awesome!", that Ledger's performance was everything it'd been hyped to be both in quality and being disturbing. Makes me wish I had gone to see it, now.

Here's a question, one I know has been asked before in this forum. Since the Joker does not die in this film, but the actor who took him to such heights has, what is the likelihood for another Batman movie with a different actro playing Joker?
Old July 18 2008, 02:34 PM   #107
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Neroon wrote: View Post
My son went to see it at midnight, and I really wanted to go with him. Couldn't swing the costs (as in sleep and work I'd miss), though. In any event, he said it was "awesome!", that Ledger's performance was everything it'd been hyped to be both in quality and being disturbing. Makes me wish I had gone to see it, now.

Here's a question, one I know has been asked before in this forum. Since the Joker does not die in this film, but the actor who took him to such heights has, what is the likelihood for another Batman movie with a different actro playing Joker?
I can't see them re-casting the part a la Gylenhaal. I think they should just do some sort of shadowy vocal cameo. Have a siloette of a guy in a cell in Arkham, you can't see him, but you hear the laugh. Elude to his being alive, but leave him as Heath. But that's just me.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 02:52 PM   #108
Neroon
Mod of balance

Frontier wrote: View Post
I can't see them re-casting the part a la Gylenhaal. I think they should just do some sort of shadowy vocal cameo. Have a siloette of a guy in a cell in Arkham, you can't see him, but you hear the laugh. Elude to his being alive, but leave him as Heath. But that's just me.
That's an intriguing idea.... It will be interesting to see how I feel about all of this when I do get to see the film.
Old July 18 2008, 03:00 PM   #109
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Wow, a movie loved by critics that'll also make an ungodly amount of money. Man, how often does that happen?

Plan on hitting a 9:30AM showing after work on Saturday. Hopefully there'll still be a good crowd, but without so many annoying teenages talking and texting during the movie.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 03:07 PM   #110
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Wussy. My bed hit the pillow at 3AM and My alarm went off at 7AM. Actually, I need to get ready now.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 03:17 PM   #111
Brolan
Commodore

Now that I got some sleep a few random thoughts about the movie:

Heath Ledger will win an Oscar for his role as the Joker. His performance alone made it 80-90% likely he would win, but the sympathy vote will make it 100% certain.

You really need to see this movie a couple of times. The pace is frantic and relentless. I feel like I missed a lot in my first viewing and I never left my seat in the theater.

Old July 18 2008, 03:21 PM   #112
Neroon
Mod of balance

Looks like I'm headed out to a matinee showing this afternoon!
Old July 18 2008, 03:23 PM   #113
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

That's more like it!
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 03:28 PM   #114
Agent Richard07
Retired

I plan to see it today and I'm gonna stay until the end of the closing credits. I want to see Brandon Routh's cameo where he shows up as Clark Kent and tells Bruce that he's putting together a team.

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 03:36 PM   #115
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Well, that was thoroughly enjoyable. My only real complaint is with the China subplot, as it added 20 minutes to the movie and never contributed anything of real value to the movie.

Well, the "cell phones become sonar" thing was pretty stupid, too.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 03:41 PM   #116
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

Also, as a note so no one has to stay to the end, there is nothing at the end of the credits. Great music throughout, but no tidbit at the end.
Old July 18 2008, 03:48 PM   #117
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Yeah, in the wake of Ironman, everyone is staying until the credits end just in case. LOL. I did, but just because I didn't feel like fighting the whordes of fleeing teenagers.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 03:53 PM   #118
Neroon
Mod of balance

TheBrew wrote: View Post
That's more like it!
The timing is perfect. I'm in between projects at work, and my client surely doesn't mind being spared the 4 hours of billable time.
Old July 18 2008, 04:07 PM   #119
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

On a spur of the moment whim I went to a Midnight showing of this last night, it was a fun theater experience. More of a mad house and not quite the "pleasant" and community experience I've had at other late-night/special showings of movies (at one point I actually jumped up on a bench, yelled at the crowd of people pushing toward the door because the theater girl had positioned herself there as if she was going to open the rope. I yelled at the crowd and ordered them to re-form the "line" we had and told the theater girl to check tickets as people walk in as a form of "crowd"/rush control.) But I did chat with a nice guy in the seat next to me inside about many things. It was a nice time, but not the "best theater experience" I had. It was a mad house, really once everyone was inside and rushing around. But I've often had problems at that theater they're not good at managing things, often being staffed by a bunch of teenagers. But, anyway, that's neither here nor there.

(Batman) The Dark Knight

Much has been built up and discussed about this movie in the past few months. It has been hyped up to extraordinary levels, more than any movie since I'd probably say the Star Wars PT -possibly as far back as TPM and usually when a movie gets this hyped up it's hard for it to live up to such expectations as it invariably ends up as a disappointment (Star Wars PT, again, I look at you) well, TDK goes right up to those expectations, beats it up, stuffs a grenade in its mouth, kicks it again and keeps on going.

Ok... that's probably a bit much. But it certainly lives up to those expectations, whether it exceeds them is probably personal choice. I had not such powerful expectations. I expected a very good movie but not the second Coming that some put this up there as.

As I've said elsewhere this has been a fantastic Summer for movies, a look at my signature tells you what I've thought of every movie I've seen this Summer (it's worth pointing out that I've a very forgiving grading scale. Many of you may know how I feel about last year's Transformers and even that scored an "impressive" C or C- for me) and TDK continues this trend that will likely continue through X-Files and The Mummy.

The Dark Knight may be one of the best comic-to-film movies to come around in a long, long, time if not THE best. It's as much a "movie" as it is a "comic-book movie." There's a couple niggling little problems I had with it (I still don't like it when Bale forces his "Batman voice" and there's a couple little head scratching moments that I have that I'll get into late in the thread) but neither were enough to really fully take me out of this movie.

Everything you've heard about Ledger's performance doesn't do him justice. This Joker is menacing, unstable, chaotic, and a whole thesaurus of words for "criminally fucking insane." This is a guy who'd have Charles Manson looking at him and saying, "Dude! How many birds are on THIS guy's antenna?"

He steals the show, and for the most part the movie focus a lot on him. Best Supporting Actor? In this movie such a nomination would be a better fit for Christian Bale. This is Ledger's/Joker's movie and he delivers .

Forget Jack. Forget Cesar Romero. Heath Ledger is THE JOKER. The might as well never use the Joker again in any other Batman project because NO ONE can play him again and do it justice.

Aaron Eckhart is great as Harvey Dent/Two-Face. I actually smiled and clapped when he pulled out his one-sided coin to make a fate-based decision and the CGI/Make-up work on him when he finally does become Two-Face is awesome, frightening, and makes Tommy Lee Jones' make-up look like a kid's mask. Fantastic stuff!

And this brings us to Maggie Gyllenhhal (or whatever) as Rachael Dawes. I've made no secret about how much I love this woman as an actress and on a physical level and she's no slouch here. She does a wonderful job, is a much better fit in her role in the "love triangle" and a better match for Eckhart and Bale. Katie Holmes would NOT have worked here.

The other secondary cast, Caine (Alfred), Freeman (Fox) and Oldman (Gordon) all do very good jobs and I also smiled and clapped a bit when Oldman's character met his destiny.

The action scenes are very well done, choreographed and paced and I'm not sure what more there is to say. This is a fantastic, fantastic, awesome movie.

It knocks Iron Man off my top spot for the summer, but only slightly, and receives an A+ from me. (A 98.9% A+ to Iron Man's 97.9% A+).

If you can tickets go see this sucker as soon as you can.

At least see it before The Rapture occurs.

Oh, and there's no post-credits bit either so unless you want to watch the credits there's no need to sit through them. I was disappointed, though, that Ledger's dedication doesn't appear until "deep" into the credits rather in the front of the movie or in front of the credits.

Last edited by Trekker4747; July 18 2008 at 05:25 PM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 05:10 PM   #120
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Brolan wrote: View Post
Now that I got some sleep a few random thoughts about the movie:

Heath Ledger will win an Oscar for his role as the Joker. His performance alone made it 80-90% likely he would win, but the sympathy vote will make it 100% certain.

You really need to see this movie a couple of times. The pace is frantic and relentless. I feel like I missed a lot in my first viewing and I never left my seat in the theater.

For me, Rachel was much more of a weak spot in this movie than in Begins. Honestly, I thnk Holmes did a better job with the character, bringing a little underlying intensity to her and her passion for her work that Gyllenhaal lacked. Rachel was far more underwritten in this story, but the dynamic between her and Bruce is underlined I think in her line, "Don't make me your one hope for normal life." While it's obvious in both stories that Bruce loves her, there's a sense that he's trying very hard to be in love with her, to believe that he's capable of such a thing, that he has a reason to lay down the mask - something to live for besides Batman. But it's not real, because he doesn't believe in anything as much. There's nothing, even Rachel, that he's willing to go as far for. This is one of the strengths of TDK that all this material subtext and part of Bale's incredibly nuanced and subtle portrayal.