Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10 2008, 04:56 AM   #931
Mantyclause
Rear Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Manticore wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Transformers: The Movie.

::rocks out to "The Touch"::
I hate that movie. The only cool moment is Optimus smiting all of the Decepticons single-handedly, and even that's nearly ruined by the terrible music playing over it ("The Touch" in fact, I think).

All IMO of course.
Heh, I love the movie (mostly for nostalgic reasons), but I was just kidding.
Oh, phew. The love that this movie gets online scares me.
Old August 11 2008, 03:48 PM   #932
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Well I'm WAAAY late to the party because I just finally got around to seeing this Friday night. This thread is way too long to read, so I'll probalby repeat some things that numerous other people have said several times, but here goes anyway.

I ended up voting "Above Average" because there were just a few things that were kind of "off putting" for me. For starters, it was a bit long for my taste. The one chase scene just seemed to go on forever.

Lucisous Fox's reaction to the survellance system kind of bothered me. I felt like he should have had a little more faith in Bruce Wayne to do the right thing.

Finally, I guess its' a byproduct of growing up with the 60's TV show and Saturday cartoons, but I just didn't really like the way they left his status at the end of the movie. I guess I do want to see Batman as the hero and I don't like anything that smacks of him being the villain, even if it is just public perception.
Old August 11 2008, 05:16 PM   #933
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Robert downey Jr's comments on the Dark Knight

http://www.moviehole.net/200814729-i...rt-downey-jr-2
"My whole thing is that that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so f--king smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? F-ck DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from." Well clearly Downey isn't about to do anything for DC Comics anytime soon. "You know, you're never too old to burn your bridges because I believe I have offended everyone," he says, laughingly. "I think I've got a couple more. 'I'll burn that bridge when I come to it' is my favourite phrase I've ever coined."
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 07:20 PM   #934
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I so hope he was joking.
Old August 11 2008, 07:24 PM   #935
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I got a laugh out of it so I'm assuming it was all in good fun...or maybe he really was so blown away by The Dark Knight that it was beyond his comprehension?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 07:34 PM   #936
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Aw, come on. It's gotta suck to have the most successful movie of your career, rave reviews, tons of money, a surprising break out hit that everyone's talking about ... until another movie in the same genre flattens your flick both in box office and critical praise like the Tumbler going over a cop car and suddenly everyone's all "Iron who?"

Downey Jr. is not one known for a lot of impulse control so I'm sure the 50th time someone rolled up on him and asked, "So, what's it feel like to have The Dark Knight blot out your early summer triumph?", he got a little bitchy. I would too.
Old August 11 2008, 07:39 PM   #937
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Yeah, before the summer officially began all the buzz was about Iron Man with people even speculating that it would be the highest grossing film of the year and outshine The Dark Knight (hey, #2 isn't so bad).

So now that Iron Man came out, experienced its success and fortune, The Dark Knight has com along and basically shattered all expectations. That's not to detract from Iron Man's success, though. I thought it was a great movie, a wonderful way to open the summer and obviously a great success.

The Dark Knight just did a little bit better.
Old August 11 2008, 07:53 PM   #938
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post

The Dark Knight just did a little bit better.
Just a smidgen

Downey holds Iron Man in the highest regard. He even said on the tonight show that he hopes Tropic thunder doesn't destroy all the good will from Iron Man.

and yeah downey was joking. More or less the same article
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/jun...in-farrell.php
When you sit down with Robert Downey Jr these days (like I do, all the time) no matter what the reason for being there, there are a few things you can’t help but think about - how funny and earnest he is and how awesome Iron Man 2 is going to be. Despite being there for Tropic Thunder, conversation at the table with Downey and our journalistic peers quickly veered into comic country.

Regarding the tin-man sequel, Downey quickly indicated that he and Favreau were both very involved with coming up with the story alongside newly announced scribe Justin Theroux. On the original Iron Man, Downey indicated that he and Favreau received a script and then began work within that world. This go around, both men will have their input into the very earliest stages of conceptualization. Good news to us, I think, considering how hilarious and charming Downey can be - a real life Tony Stark.

As for what to expect, Downey promised to keep the movie faithful to the tone of the original and that it will be “appropriately well thought out so that we don’t forget what got us the response that we appreciated so much.” He described the original as a pretty simple story and said that the sequel wouldn’t be going to great lengths to trick the audience or lead them on a twisting topsy-turvy type road.

In contrast to that approach, he said of The Dark Knight:

I saw The Dark Knight, I feel like I’m dumb because I don’t get how many things [are going on]…. I clearly need a college degree to understand this.

He further likened the Batman sequel to a “Ferrari engine of story telling.” For you non-gear heads, a Ferrari engine is a very complex machine. A few seconds later when probed about his feelings on the Christopher Nolan film, he responded with the now, in my mind, immortal line: Well you know what, fuck DC Comics. He then clarified that he’s a fan of Marvel.

Now that may seem a bit prickish, but it was all in good fun. Everyone laughed at the table, including Downey himself, who then chuckled about burning bridges and expressed his affinity for the line “I’ll burn that bridge when I come to it.” In no way, either, should Downey’s comments be read to express some ill-feeling towards the Batman franchise or its stars - he expressed great appreciation (thought it was fantastic) over the Nolan, Bale, Caine reunion flick The Prestige. He just felt that The Dark Knight was a bit high-brow, a bit intellectual, and while those aren’t necessarily bad things, he didn’t want Iron Man to go that route, which I can appreciate.

When it comes to the Iron Man sequel, it seems to be in good hands with the clever, charming, and world-wise Robert Downey Jr. In a short little tidbit, Downey expressed an interest in working with another cinematic bad boy, Colin Farrell. He felt that they would have great on-screen chemistry similar to himself and Val Kilmer in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Count me in!

Tropic Thunder Opens on August 13th.

Battle Royale: DC vs Marvel? Batman vs Iron Man? Who comes out on top?
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 01:30 AM   #939
Agent Richard07
Retired

If it ever comes out that Batman didn't kill those cops, what will happen to Gordon? Will his going along with Batman's story also come out?

Also, what does the public think happened to Harvey Dent since he was found dead with Gordon?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 01:36 AM   #940
nx1701g
Admiral

^ It's not been specifically answered in the film or the novel. Gordon could claim ignorance of Batman's story if it came out that Two-Face killed the cops. If I recall correctly though Batman is being blamed for Harvey's death too. Maybe Gordon is using a cover story that he simply got away before Batman could kill him too.
Old August 12 2008, 03:05 AM   #941
Kegek
Rear Admiral

He just felt that The Dark Knight was a bit high-brow, a bit intellectual, and while those aren’t necessarily bad things, he didn’t want Iron Man to go that route, which I can appreciate.
As can I - a film sequel should pattern itself on the original rather than its rival. Still, I certainly express no regret over passing seeing this film if The Dark Knight was 'high-brow and intellectual' in contrast. The Dark Knight was non-moronic and smartly written - a relative rarity, I'll concede, in summer fare (where once upon a day the latest garbage the Wachkowskis were peddling qualified as intelligent) - but I don't think the film is difficult at all to understand for your average moviegoer. Given the box office success the film is recieving, I believe the average moviegoer concurs.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 03:14 AM   #942
Harvey
Admiral

Kegek wrote: View Post
He just felt that The Dark Knight was a bit high-brow, a bit intellectual, and while those aren’t necessarily bad things, he didn’t want Iron Man to go that route, which I can appreciate.
As can I - a film sequel should pattern itself on the original rather than its rival. Still, I certainly express no regret over passing seeing this film if The Dark Knight was 'high-brow and intellectual' in contrast. The Dark Knight was non-moronic and smartly written - a relative rarity, I'll concede, in summer fare (where once upon a day the latest garbage the Wachkowskis were peddling qualified as intelligent) - but I don't think the film is difficult at all to understand for your average moviegoer. Given the box office success the film is receiving, I believe the average moviegoer concurs.
I'll concede that Iron Man was a lot of fun, even if I found some of the plot twists to be poorly thought out and the politics insulting. Robert Downey Jr. really, really, really carries the movie. But I must admit he's one of my favorite actors alive--if not my overall favorite. It was typical summer fare--but as far as typical summer fare goes, you aren't going to do much better (The Dark Knight was not typical summer fare in my view).

Speaking of The Dark Knight, I saw it on IMAX yesterday. I picked up on a few things I missed. Two (Batman's hydraulic hand and Batman's cape that slows his and Rachel's fall) have been mentioned an awful lot in this thread. One (the plane in Hong Kong was explained as flying under radar--which isn't the most realistic explanation for how it gets in and out of there undetected, but it is an explanation enough for me) I haven't seen mentioned, so there it is.

Oh, and to echo everyone else, the IMAX was incredible. And, still, even in IMAX, I'm totally disinterested in Watchmen.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 03:20 AM   #943
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
I'll concede that Iron Man was a lot of fun, even if I found some of the plot twists to be poorly thought out and the politics insulting. Robert Downey Jr. really, really, really carries the movie. But I must admit he's one of my favorite actors alive--if not my overall favorite.
I've only seen Downey Jr. in that PKD adaption I sometimes mention, and I thought he was very impressive in that - he stole the whole movie. I was worried Iron Man might be like Pirates of the Carribean - one actor preforming so marvelously one almost forgets the film is actually pretty mediocre.

This reminds me. I recorded Zodiac a while back, I really should watch that. I will tomorrow, honestly.

Oh, and to echo everyone else, the IMAX was incredible. And, still, even in IMAX, I'm totally disinterested in Watchmen.
So am I. I understand it's a classic for comic book fans, but I get the impression you really have to be a comic book fan to appreciate what the film is about, or something. Once upon a time I really was a comic book fan - but those comics were about Gauls comically knocking Romans around. Europe, you know. Never read a superhero comic.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 06:15 AM   #944
grabmygoblin
Commodore

this get linked yet?
Old August 12 2008, 06:34 AM   #945
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Actually, that's the less disturbing pictorial take I've seen on that scene.