Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 5 2008, 02:18 AM   #871
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

This has doubtless been belaboured to death, and I have come very late to the party. So, I will attempt to be brief.

I was impressed. Not really a comic book movie person but I like Batman and I enjoyed this film a great deal. My only real criticisms are, firstly, some of the dialogue often felt a little forced. "You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the tagline" sort of stuff. None of this was bad - and a lot of it carried important themes to the film - but it just felt off. Also, Harvey Two-Face's embracing of being an agent of random fate... well, actually I guess that was pulled off about as convincingly as it could.

The criticisms in the preceding paragraph should not detract from the first sentence, which is the most important sentence there. This is exactly what a summer blockbuster should be. Heath Ledger managed to be scary, creepy, and funny - the business with the pencil is precisely the kind of dark humour I wanted. Christopher Nolan fails to disappoint. And so on. You've read that before.

- All About Eve.

Last edited by Kegek; August 5 2008 at 02:24 AM.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 03:08 AM   #872
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

When did they start calling him "Harvey Two-Face"? In the comics that I read, he was just Harvey Dent or Two-Face. The only other time I've heard him referred to as "Harvey Two-Face" was in Batman Forever, which I assumed was a bit of nonsense that they'd come up with for that film. But then it pops up again in TDK....
Old August 5 2008, 03:15 AM   #873
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I couldn't swear to it since it's been awhile since I've watched it, but I believe Batman: The Animated Series also referred to him as "Harvey Two-Face" a couple of times.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 03:19 AM   #874
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
I couldn't swear to it since it's been awhile since I've watched it, but I believe Batman: The Animated Series also referred to him as "Harvey Two-Face" a couple of times.
I've always known him as Harvey Two-Face but I could be cloudy. I also could've sworn Harvey would re-flip his coin if the result didn't suit his strongest desire.
Old August 5 2008, 03:24 AM   #875
Kegek
Rear Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
The only other time I've heard him referred to as "Harvey Two-Face" was in Batman Forever, which I assumed was a bit of nonsense that they'd come up with for that film. But then it pops up again in TDK....
Well, I'm mainly (read: exclusively) familiar with Batman from media, which mainly means the movies (but also some of the TV shows). So I probably picked the name up from Batman Forever. I thought that was the proper name for the character. It makes sense in TDK, considering it's a nickname given behind his back.

- All About Eve.
Old August 5 2008, 05:43 AM   #876
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

In the comics he is either Harvey or Two-Face. Only the animated series called him Harvey Two-Face as fas as I know. But the latter does make a bit of sense.
Old August 5 2008, 05:48 AM   #877
David cgc
Vice Admiral

I can buy Harvey Two-Face as a nickname for Harvey Dent pre-scarring, but once he becomes a supervillain, it should really just be Two-Face.
Old August 5 2008, 05:53 AM   #878
Kegek
Rear Admiral

^
He never calls himself Harvey Two-Face, to be fair. I think the nickname is just brought up and... well, that's it. It never reaches the nom de guerre level of Joker or Batman and, anyway, the fact Two-Face ever existed is now a secret.

- All About Eve.
Old August 5 2008, 06:10 AM   #879
clonewarrior
Ensign

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
The box office take IS impressive, but The Dark Knight has already peaked, so don't expect it to get anywhere near record box office numbers of Titanic (nonadjusted) or Gone With the Wind (adjusted).
agreed
clonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 11:50 PM   #880
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Sounds like it's a TAS thing, then, which would explain why it stuck.
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I also could've sworn Harvey would re-flip his coin if the result didn't suit his strongest desire.
Tommy Lee Jones did, but as I've seen protested elsewhere, that ruins the whole point of it. Two-Face has a maniacal code of honor/mental block, the same as the Riddler needing to leave riddles as clues.

In other TDK related news, did anyone catch the review in EW last week, in which the reviewer says that Frank Miller added the "the" to Batman? They were calling him "The Batman" back in '39 (as well as "the 'Bat-Man'", with hard quotes included), and AFAIK it came back into common usage when they started to darken him back up in the early '70s. Miller's influence on Batman is way overexagerated.
Old August 5 2008, 11:55 PM   #881
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

^I agree. Especially because when people talk of Nolan's Batman and its influences, they just pretty much list Frank Miller which is tad ridiculous. Maybe because he's been very popular lately with Sin City and 300 big hits at the box office but I would think journalists would do their research. No mention of Dennis O'Neil, Neal Adams, Jeph Loeb, Tim Sale...

Also, I found a review over at Amazon which compares The Dark Knight to Plato's Republic which I thought was a very interesting and provocative read.

Batman, for whom good and evil, life and death, are not decided by chance, intervenes. In their fight Dent and Batman both plunge to the ground from a height. Batman survives and tells Gordon that the myth of Dent's goodness must become the rallying point for the city. Dent remains the White Knight, while Batman allows himself to become The Dark Knight, spurned by the public, identified wrongly but necessarily as the source of evil, who can then secretly work for the good. Only Gordon and his son know the true story behind this myth. Gotham thus gets the hero it deserves.
Old August 6 2008, 12:20 AM   #882
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I don't think it has to do with Miller's recently-adapted works; it's a popular misconception that's out there amongst people who don't know what they're talking about. Miller certainly upped the ante, but O'Neil and his collaborators really deserve the credit for bringing Batman back to his noir roots. Anyone who actually read some Batman comics in the '70s knows this, but it seems to be lost on people who only got into the comics after Miller, or never got into them at all.
Old August 6 2008, 12:34 AM   #883
Harvey
Admiral

It helps that Miller wrote a title called The Dark Knight Returns. Those unfamiliar with the comics (of which, I admit, I am one) could easily mistake that graphic novel as the source material for Nolan's similarly titled The Dark Knight. Moreover, the property of Batman itself is rapidly approaching 100 years of existence, and as such, that's a lot of history for a journalist to absorb for what (sadly) might be little more than a throw-away article for them.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 12:38 AM   #884
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I don't think it has to do with Miller's recently-adapted works; it's a popular misconception that's out there amongst people who don't know what they're talking about. Miller certainly upped the ante, but O'Neil and his collaborators really deserve the credit for bringing Batman back to his noir roots. Anyone who actually read some Batman comics in the '70s knows this, but it seems to be lost on people who only got into the comics after Miller, or never got into them at all.
Popular misconception or not, Miller's increase in popularity as of late surely has contributed to most people referencing him when it comes to Batman. Not all, but most.
Old August 6 2008, 02:18 AM   #885
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Not to mention portions of Batman Begins taking many of its scenes out of Miller's Batman: Year One (particularly the gag at the end with Lt. Gordon giving Batman the Joker card).