IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 29 2008, 01:21 AM   #796
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
not to mention a mayor who wears more eyeliner than I did in my Goth days...
It's not eyeliner. Just really thick eyelashes.
Dude, it's eyeliner. No one's lashes give them thick black lines around their entire eye.
He's been on Lost several times with the same look. So unless he's got in his contract somewhere that all his apperances must have him given thick eyeliner he's got "something crazy" going on naturally with his eyes.
Old July 29 2008, 01:23 AM   #797
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

It's not eyeliner. Just really thick eyelashes.
Dude, it's eyeliner. No one's lashes give them thick black lines around their entire eye.
He's been on Lost several times with the same look. So unless he's got in his contract somewhere that all his apperances must have him given thick eyeliner he's got "something crazy" going on naturally with his eyes.
Oh, I wasn't slow on the uptake.

Yes, actors often have a specific look or makeup requirement. Do you think the makeup crew on Lost doesn't have an eyeliner pencil?
Old July 29 2008, 01:29 AM   #798
mredom
Lieutenant Commander

OK, it took me three days to wade through this thread, but I finally did it. Just some thoughts.

This movie is firmly based in the real world, with practical technology which is for the most part plausible. (OK, someone will now scream 'sonar! sonar!' yes, it's a little on the iffy side, but there are many technologies in movies that I have to buy at face value even though it doesn't make complete sense)

It is a crime thriller more than a "super" movie, and I would say that for the most part it holds up as well as many equally gritty crime/thriller/adventure movies such as Live Free or Die Hard, Die Hard With a Vengeance, Miami Vice,
Speed, etc. Make Batman a PI with high tech gear working with the police on a case, and the plot is reasonably sound.

It is because of this that some people might be put off, because it doesn't require a fantastical setting to work. I however having seen it twice (I'm tracking down spare change to see it again) think that not only is it the best movie I have seen this year, it may be the most compelling movie I've seen in a few years.

I can respect people who disagree for several reasons, but the character development and acting in this movie I found to be excellent across the board. I will own this movie, and watch it repeatedly. I can't imagine how the next installment can be a better film than this, but I will await it with baited breath. I really hope that Mr. Nolan will come up with another compelling story to wrap up this arc. If he doesn't return, I would be hard pressed to see this universe sustained. This particular vision of Batman is Nolan's and Bale's. If they don't continue it, we will still see another movie, but I doubt it will resemble what we've seen with these two movies.

I ranked it excellent, and while it's not a perfect movie, (I haven't seen one yet) it is a compelling one which I will enjoy for a long time.

MRE
mredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 01:29 AM   #799
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Yes, actors often have a specific look or makeup requirement. Do you think the makeup crew on Lost doesn't have an eyeliner pencil?
Occam's Razor.

Either Nestor Carbonell has it his contract -inexplicably- that when he appears on a show he's got to have thick black lines around his eyes and this silly requirement doesn't turn people off on his mediocre talents and "star draw" to loon somewhere else OR he's got naturaly thick eyelashes or something else going on there.

The latter of that seems more likely to me.

Do a Google Image Search on him and all of his pictures (including publicity ones) has the "thick eyelashes"/"eyeliner" and on (my) closer observation it just looks like he has thick, dark, eyelashes.

No doubt he's the envy of many a woman.
Old July 29 2008, 01:43 AM   #800
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

For the "realism" or the real-world believability, I have to be honest: NO superhero or comicbook hero looks like they belong in the real world. If Batman dropped the helmet, he might be able to pull it off or the X-Men might be able to pull it off, but if someone is going out to save the world they aren't going to go out in tights, capes, or masks unless they served a very specific purpose. Bad guys aren't going to go out in silly helmets or suits either.

With that said, while Batman simply won't look like he belongs in the Land of Reality, I do appreciate and like the fact that Nolan really did try to put a more realistic spin on Batman. He's not a superhero, he's literally a vigilante. He's not wearing tights and a cape for a fashion statement. He's wearing armor and a cape that serves a purpose. His villians aren't crazies that are trying to use TV's to steal personal information or freeze town. They are bank robbers, bombers, murders, kidnappers, and bio-terrorists. Gotham looks like any other big town across America.

Sure, no matter how you will stack it, a guy who calls himself "Batman" (Spiderman/ Green Lantern/ etc) and wears a silly mask is going to look stupid, some of the technology is questionable at best, and mountain-top ninjas are just different, but I really do like that it was all taken and put in a context or format where I could almost think that it was a plausible situation.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 01:49 AM   #801
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Can't we all just be happy that there's no bat-nipples or one-line catchphrases well suited for trailer teases?

Old July 29 2008, 02:20 AM   #802
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Maybe people will think I'm going blind or something, but... I didn't think he had particularly thick eyelashes or eyeliner.

Old July 29 2008, 03:08 AM   #803
Evil Headhunter
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Headhunter Send a message via AIM to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Headhunter

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
For the "realism" or the real-world believability, I have to be honest: NO superhero or comicbook hero looks like they belong in the real world. If Batman dropped the helmet, he might be able to pull it off or the X-Men might be able to pull it off, but if someone is going out to save the world they aren't going to go out in tights, capes, or masks unless they served a very specific purpose. Bad guys aren't going to go out in silly helmets or suits either.
Well, Magneto had a very good reason for his helmet (to keep Charles out).

S. Gomez wrote: View Post
Maybe people will think I'm going blind or something, but... I didn't think he had particularly thick eyelashes or eyeliner.

To be honest, I never noticed either from Suddenly Susan to Lost to The Dark Knight until people were bitching about it in this thread. I paid close attention during my second viewing and I sort of see it...

Frankly, I think people just like to find things to complain about, no matter how excellent a movie (or a show) is.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Evil Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 04:12 AM   #804
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

To be honest, I never noticed either from Suddenly Susan to Lost to The Dark Knight until people were bitching about it in this thread. I paid close attention during my second viewing and I sort of see it...

Frankly, I think people just like to find things to complain about, no matter how excellent a movie (or a show) is.
I only brought it up because of the eyeliner-deniers, who make me giggle. Can't quite figure out why they find the idea of an actor wearing makeup worth arguing over.
Old July 29 2008, 04:14 AM   #805
Tim
Vice Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Frontier wrote: View Post
Wow.

TDK made more money in 10 days than Indie made in 9 weeks.

LOL!
The same can be said about a lot of movies. Don't gang up Indy alone, okay?

Hell, The Dark Knight was a few hundred grand short of Iron Man which has been out longer than Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls.
And both films have quite a ways to go before they catch up with Indy's worldwide box office gross, which is just shy of $770 million at last checking.
Old July 29 2008, 05:00 AM   #806
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

BTW Script Book confirms that Harvey Dent is definitely dead and the two cops he killed is still unknown. Detective Wuertz in the bar and...?
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 05:28 AM   #807
davejames
Vice Admiral

Except neither Batman Begins or The Dark Knight are actually gritty, realistic crime thrillers. Ninjas in mountaintop monasteries plotting the destruction of the world's major cities? You ain't gonna find that in Scorcese. Neither will you find a bank with $68 million in cash in the vault but only 3 employees and no security guards, or psychotic guys in clown make up who can mysteriously survive an explosion that seems to kill everyone else in the room (Joker's escape from MCU), or guys who can have their eyeball survive a fire that burned off all the surrounding skin - not to mention a mayor who wears more eyeliner than I did in my Goth days, and is still taken seriously. These movies have the style and tone of realistic crime thrillers, but it's not just the hero that is unrealistic.

I guess I'm saying if you can buy all the other stuff in the story, what is it about the guy in the Batsuit that's throwing you off?
Well that was kind of an extreme example I was using to make a point; certainly Begins wasn't quite as gritty and real as French Connection.

But still, even the slightly wackier plot points you mention still felt pretty grounded in the movie to me (the only one that really felt out of place was the microwave device at the end of Begins).
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 06:26 AM   #808
Jax
Admiral

Am going to see this movie in about 6 hours, I cannot wait
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 02:03 PM   #809
Evil Headhunter
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Headhunter Send a message via AIM to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Headhunter

I only brought it up because of the eyeliner-deniers, who make me giggle. Can't quite figure out why they find the idea of an actor wearing makeup worth arguing over.
I don't care if an actor wears make up or not (hell, Eddie Izzard is my favorite comedian), but I do care about the truth. If it turns out that Carbonell does wear eyeliner, then no big whoop. However, I have never seen any evidence to support that, rather that he just has thick eyelashes or something else going on.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Evil Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 03:11 PM   #810
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Likely answer: Nestor Carbonell has thick distinctive eyelashes, its his defining feature. As his defining feature - his trademark if you will - he always wears eyeliner for emphasis.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote