Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 27 2008, 05:38 PM   #736
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
I wanted to see Gordon do more than break into a few banks. I wanted him to go after some of the petty criminals set free in Batman Begins.
You complain about a subplot that adds nothing to the movie, and then turn around and say you want the movie to waste time on Gordon chasing petty crooks, which in turn would ... add nothing of substantive value to the movie.

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 06:09 PM   #737
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Manticore wrote: View Post
MNM wrote: View Post
cultcross wrote: View Post

Really? I thought the second half was better than the first. Not that I disliked the first, but from the Mayor's assassination scene onwards I thought the pacing improved dramatically.

I thought the second half was too crammed and dis-jointed. Gave it an average too. Much too long and just didnt enjoy it as much as Begins.
That's odd. I felt that the beginning was very crammed and disjointed, while the rest flowed nicely and worked quite well.
The movie built up tension pretty well, all the way up to the Joker being captured the first time. The interrogation scene was good, but didn't really live up to the Joker's previous scenes, such as the first time he confronted the mob. The hospital plot wasn't bad, but it just felt like the movie gradually ran out of steam. The sequence with Batman in the glass building looking for the Joker just didn't work for me. The effects were cool and all, but I just didn't feel the tension the way I did with the car chase. Maybe it's because the Joker was holding a bunch of nobody hostages.

A cardinal rule of drama: if you're going to place people in danger so the hero can save them, they need to be people you care about. The chase scene worked because Dent's life was at stake, and by that point in the movie it was hard not to care what happened to him. But with a bunch of people I know nothing about being held hostage... well, who cares? If they die, it wouldn't really affect the audience in any way.

I didn't think it was a bad movie, I just think it might have actually worked better if the two big Joker plots had been reversed: have the glass building/hostages earlier on, and the big car chase as the final act's action setpiece.

And a LOT of the mob stuff could have been cut without losing much (except Tom Berenger.) The mob stuff was okay in Begins, but it just didn't do much here.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 07:32 PM   #738
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Saw it yesterday during a double-feature marathon with some friends. Loved it.

Definitely want to go see it in IMAX now.

PS X-Files sucked.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 08:02 PM   #739
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

JKTim wrote: View Post
I wanted to see Gordon do more than break into a few banks. I wanted him to go after some of the petty criminals set free in Batman Begins.
You complain about a subplot that adds nothing to the movie, and then turn around and say you want the movie to waste time on Gordon chasing petty crooks, which in turn would ... add nothing of substantive value to the movie.

I wanted more character development out of the characters. It was nearly devoid of any in the movie.

I think that if we got rid of the whole Chinese subplot (which made no sense and as you said added nothing to the movie) and used that time to added to the development of Gordon and Dent, I think that would be been better to the movie.

If you don't think adding some substance to Gordon and his rapid and confusing ascension to commissioner, then you aren't a writer.

Truthfully Batman and Superman were never my favorite DC characters. Or Wonder Woman. I liked the other ones better. There were a few Batman comics I did enjoy (Long Halloween being one of them). I enjoyed the TAS and Beyond immensely and Justice League but those are another medium.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 08:14 PM   #740
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I wanted more character development out of the characters. It was nearly devoid of any in the movie.
There was plenty of that.

I think that if we got rid of the whole Chinese subplot (which made no sense and as you said added nothing to the movie) and used that time to added to the development of Gordon and Dent, I think that would be been better to the movie.
I thought Gordon had plenty of development, at least plenty in terms of what was needed in the film.

If you don't think adding some substance to Gordon and his rapid and confusing ascension to commissioner, then you aren't a writer.
It wasn't rapid. He didn't get promoted til at least midway through the film, and even before that he was on the ground doing everything he could to catch the Joker -- which he eventually ended up aiding in doing.

Truthfully Batman and Superman were never my favorite DC characters. Or Wonder Woman. I liked the other ones better.
So despite the objective quality of the film, your subjective opinion has already marred it. Gotcha.

There were a few Batman comics I did enjoy (Long Halloween being one of them). I enjoyed the TAS and Beyond immensely and Justice League but those are another medium.
Relevance?
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 08:49 PM   #741
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Truthfully Batman and Superman were never my favorite DC characters. Or Wonder Woman. I liked the other ones better.
WHAT other ones? Green Arrow?
Old July 27 2008, 09:24 PM   #742
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
And a LOT of the mob stuff could have been cut without losing much (except Tom Berenger.) The mob stuff was okay in Begins, but it just didn't do much here.
That wasn't Tom Berenger, rather it was Eric Roberts.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 11:03 PM   #743
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Emh wrote: View Post
CRAP! I always get those two mixed up. Sorry.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 11:34 PM   #744
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I loved the movie, though some of the dialogue was a bit too pointed.

I think the best thing about the film is that filmmakers are going to realize that the story is what epople see not anything flashy. The action in the film was very authentic, without any standout CGI or anything like that. It was 't a lot of action and it didn't take away from the story, instead it added to the investment people had into the characters. Hopefully this will start a trend away from the overuse of CGI... it should only be a tool, not the reason to see a film
Old July 28 2008, 12:05 AM   #745
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Emh wrote: View Post
CRAP! I always get those two mixed up. Sorry.
Yeah. I had a hard time my first time out figuring out who he was too. I'm more familiar with Tom Berenger (thanks to his work in Platoon). It took me quite a while to recognize Boss Moroni as Mr. Bennett's boss on Heroes. The easiest way to tell the difference is that Roberts is a lot smarmier.

For that matter, I went through 2 whole viewings of the film without recognizing the guy who played Holtz on Angel Season 3.
Old July 28 2008, 01:34 AM   #746
amdmiami
Commander

So I finally saw this film today with some friends and let me say that I was not dissapointed. The movie lived up to its hipe and exceded my expectations. Ledger was creepy and that weird lip smaking noise he mad added a lot more to his character. I also loved the Harvey Dent side plot. To bad he can't be the big villain in the next movie.
(P.M. me if you know where the quote is from )
amdmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 01:45 AM   #747
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Not necessarily. Eckhart had said he's interested in returning. Some people seem to think Batman stashed Dent somewhere.

Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 02:12 AM   #748
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Mutarada wrote: View Post

There was plenty of that.

I thought Gordon had plenty of development, at least plenty in terms of what was needed in the film.

It wasn't rapid. He didn't get promoted til at least midway through the film, and even before that he was on the ground doing everything he could to catch the Joker -- which he eventually ended up aiding in doing.

So despite the objective quality of the film, your subjective opinion has already marred it. Gotcha.

There were a few Batman comics I did enjoy (Long Halloween being one of them). I enjoyed the TAS and Beyond immensely and Justice League but those are another medium.
Relevance?
There wasn't a lot of character development. Dent? Joker even had not enough character development. In fact one of my favorite things about the Joker was his origin story. I really wish they had tied that into Batman.

Gordon didn't have a lot of development. So catching Joker promoted him to commish? Hmm. I wish there was more to that, then here ya go, here's the commish part. That felt rushed and latched on, that they had to do it.

Actually, I was going into the Dark Knight hoping I liked it. I did like the Joker a LOT more than I expected. The trailers didn't do him justice at all. But...Dent? I was hoping more from him. A lot more. The film felt oddly paced and just...not good.

Because you can't simply separate the mediums, which portray the characters. In fact one of my favorite, FAVORITE movies is Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. That was one of my favorite cartoon movies as well. It took the character we knew from the cartoons and did something that we all hoped it did. I also liked the pace and style of the Long Halloween. I liked the Animated Series a lot. I like what they did to guys like Dent and to the Joker in those.
Old July 28 2008, 02:14 AM   #749
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
WHAT other ones? Green Arrow?
Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter...The Lantern Corp and what they are doing now is fascinating. I also like some of the obscure characters. The New Blue Beetle is fun. I am highly anticipating Ambush Bug and seeing what they do with him. I like the JSA a lot as well.

Green Lantern Corp though is one of my favorites.

Aquaman is even worse then those trio...I have started enjoying Batman more lately. The RIP has me intrigued on where they are going. I don't like what they did with his son or what they did to the New Robin.
Old July 28 2008, 02:15 AM   #750
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

YYZ wrote: View Post
I loved the movie, though some of the dialogue was a bit too pointed.

I think the best thing about the film is that filmmakers are going to realize that the story is what epople see not anything flashy. The action in the film was very authentic, without any standout CGI or anything like that. It was 't a lot of action and it didn't take away from the story, instead it added to the investment people had into the characters. Hopefully this will start a trend away from the overuse of CGI... it should only be a tool, not the reason to see a film
This I can agree with. One of the most outstanding things about the Dark Knight is the limited use of CGI.