Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 27 2008, 01:40 AM   #721
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
True but I wish they cut out the entire Chinese plot. It made no sense to the story whatsoever.
Huh? I thought it was pretty clear that they needed to bring the guy back to Gotham to testify against the mob bosses. Seemed pretty straightforward to me.
Even in the 'comic book world', the abduction of a citizen outside United States jurisdiction is a bit iffy, if not highly illegal. It can be done if there is extraditing laws, but I highly doubt that China and the United States have extraditing laws.

First off, they didn't run it by the Mayor. Secondly, it was on the freaking NEWS. Third, even if the Chinese, ignored it, they would still be in there right to protest the kidnapping and incarceration of one of their citizens indefinitely. Fourth, since he died. Well that brings up even more repercussions not only for the GCPD, but for Gotham itself and the United States. What the hell are they going to say, "Oops our bad." Yeah, like that'll fly.
Well. Everyone's "offical position" seems to be that uhh... what's his name just "showed up" back in Gotham and no one really knew how. (I mean, everyone KNEW but no one was taking that stance.) The Batman operates independantly. Once (Lao?) was back in the states why should they extradite him back to China? They wanted him and they had him. They simply took the postion that "apparently his travel plans brought him back to the US."
Old July 27 2008, 01:49 AM   #722
TK421
Commodore

Best. Joker. Ever.
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 02:10 AM   #723
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Well, I saw it again this afternoon, and if anything, I liked TDK better the second time.

One thing I really noticed this time: The Dark Knight is a very fast movie. Everything happens quickly, and there's always something going on. Even with a running time of 150 minutes, it felt like it never slowed down to catch its breath--or let me catch mine. It's the LA Confidential of comic-book movies.

As a result, I was able to keep up a lot better the second time around, and both noticed and remembered subtleties and nuances that I missed the first time. Things like Gordon's conversation with Ramirez, early in the movie, on the roof of the MCU building.

On the other hand, I also noticed just how stilted some of the dialogue was, right at the end. Ouch.

Still, overall, if I had a chance to vote again, I'd say this movie was 'excellent' rather than 'above average'.
Old July 27 2008, 03:29 AM   #724
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

I saw it again this weekend too, and it's interesting upon a second viewing. Some things work just as well - I almost think Joker is more mesmerizing the second time around. Obviously the ferry boat dilemma loses a little tension when you know what's going to happen. There were some continuity things peope have complained about - the monorail for instance - I saw it in the background of at least two Gotham shots, including the shot of the new black Wayne Tower. I also caught the "Sweet Home Chicago" sign behind the Joker as he stalks down LaSalle Street - oops! (Great candy shop though!)

I'd venture to say the dialogue is stilted in a quite a few places. Strangely enough, in other places, it's fantastic.

Some where in this thread (or maybe the "lingering questions" thread) someone asked about why Joker gave the city time to evacuate the hospital before blowing it up - watching it again, I think he pulled the whole thing just so he could get to Harvey and complete his degradation. It was never about anything but that and grabbing a busload of hostages, and he went ahead and blew it up just for kicks basically.
Old July 27 2008, 03:33 AM   #725
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I guess I'll be one of the heretics rating this an Average.

It was definitely better than Batman Begins, but the second half of the movie completely fell apart, after a very compelling first half.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 04:02 AM   #726
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Some where in this thread (or maybe the "lingering questions" thread) someone asked about why Joker gave the city time to evacuate the hospital before blowing it up - watching it again, I think he pulled the whole thing just so he could get to Harvey and complete his degradation. It was never about anything but that and grabbing a busload of hostages, and he went ahead and blew it up just for kicks basically.
That's a very good point. During my second viewing, I did realize that The Joker blew up the hosiptal immediately after he got out (or rather began blowing up as he was leaving) with no consideration of time or whether Reese had been killed. I just didn't go the whole nine yards to the point you got to.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 05:12 AM   #727
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post

Huh? I thought it was pretty clear that they needed to bring the guy back to Gotham to testify against the mob bosses. Seemed pretty straightforward to me.
Even in the 'comic book world', the abduction of a citizen outside United States jurisdiction is a bit iffy, if not highly illegal. It can be done if there is extraditing laws, but I highly doubt that China and the United States have extraditing laws.

First off, they didn't run it by the Mayor. Secondly, it was on the freaking NEWS. Third, even if the Chinese, ignored it, they would still be in there right to protest the kidnapping and incarceration of one of their citizens indefinitely. Fourth, since he died. Well that brings up even more repercussions not only for the GCPD, but for Gotham itself and the United States. What the hell are they going to say, "Oops our bad." Yeah, like that'll fly.
Well. Everyone's "offical position" seems to be that uhh... what's his name just "showed up" back in Gotham and no one really knew how. (I mean, everyone KNEW but no one was taking that stance.) The Batman operates independantly. Once (Lao?) was back in the states why should they extradite him back to China? They wanted him and they had him. They simply took the postion that "apparently his travel plans brought him back to the US."
But that makes no sense still! The police will have seen Batman abducting Lao or whatever his name is, and I don't think the Chinese GOVERNMENT (the people maybe) are living in such a vacuum they don't know who Batman is. And if it is on the news, well you can bet the Chinese government is trying to figure out who abducted their citizen.

The biggest thing is the police in this. If Batman had killed everyone in the building and left no witnesses, FINE. But put two and two together.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 09:04 AM   #728
the_wildcard
Rear Admiral

TK421 wrote: View Post
Best. Joker. Ever.
Period.
the_wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 11:37 AM   #729
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

But that makes no sense still! The police will have seen Batman abducting Lao or whatever his name is, and I don't think the Chinese GOVERNMENT (the people maybe) are living in such a vacuum they don't know who Batman is. And if it is on the news, well you can bet the Chinese government is trying to figure out who abducted their citizen.
I don't know. It's possible that outside Gotham Batman is very unknown. He's not a "superhero" at this point who has saved the world or done anything dramaticly, well, superhuman. He's just a nut job in a mask and cape taking crime-fighting into his own hands. I doubt anyone outside Gotham really knows or cares who he is.
Old July 27 2008, 11:59 AM   #730
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Camelopard wrote: View Post
It's the LA Confidential of comic-book movies.
Blasphemy!!

Ok, I'll calm down. LA Confidential is in my top 5 of all time.
TDK was very good but I don't think it's a movie that will stay in my affections. I will buy it when it comes on Blu-Ray but it won't be one I take down and watch very often like X2 or Spidey 2. Some people have compared it to Heat. I feel the same; a film I admire rather than love.

Oh, and Christian? Get some throat lozenges before B3!!
Old July 27 2008, 12:10 PM   #731
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

jbny67 wrote: View Post
Tyberius wrote: View Post
Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Where Nolan's film stumble a bit is in the more extreme technical concepts, which are probably the same "confused and ridiculous tech" you reference. Batman Begins' microwave generator isn't preposterous, but the way it selectively vaporizes water in the movie certainly is....
I have seen several people express issue with this microwave device. We are all accustomed to the little box that boils water, heats our chicken and pops popcorn. This is not that device.

The consumer microwave oven operates over a broad range of frequencies. In contrast, the microwave emitter of BB would have the capability to operate on a single frequency. This single frequency would be the one that boils water (or in the case of BB, the single frequency would be the one that boils water laden with toxin) and not one that boils a saline solution (a different frequency).
That's a great theory and it would do a great job of explaining how it was able to work the way it did in The Narrows. It would not explain, however, how it worked on the ship it was stolen from. Any water in the pipes of the ship would not have had the fear toxin in it.
Why would the devices default be set to the frequency of water containing the fear toxin? I think we can assume the thing has different settings.
Old July 27 2008, 12:11 PM   #732
cultcross
Say my name...

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
It was definitely better than Batman Begins, but the second half of the movie completely fell apart, after a very compelling first half.
Really? I thought the second half was better than the first. Not that I disliked the first, but from the Mayor's assassination scene onwards I thought the pacing improved dramatically.
Old July 27 2008, 01:00 PM   #733
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Sagart wrote: View Post
Camelopard wrote: View Post
It's the LA Confidential of comic-book movies.
Blasphemy!!

Ok, I'll calm down. LA Confidential is in my top 5 of all time.

Hey--it's one of my favourite movies as well. But I had to watch it three times (and read the book) before I was able to follow the plot from start to finish.
Old July 27 2008, 03:40 PM   #734
MNM
Captain

cultcross wrote: View Post
Really? I thought the second half was better than the first. Not that I disliked the first, but from the Mayor's assassination scene onwards I thought the pacing improved dramatically.

I thought the second half was too crammed and dis-jointed. Gave it an average too. Much too long and just didnt enjoy it as much as Begins.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 04:50 PM   #735
Manticore
Rear Admiral

MNM wrote: View Post
cultcross wrote: View Post

I thought the second half was too crammed and dis-jointed. Gave it an average too. Much too long and just didnt enjoy it as much as Begins.
That's odd. I felt that the beginning was very crammed and disjointed, while the rest flowed nicely and worked quite well.