Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 26 2008, 08:59 PM   #706
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
The character development of Harvey Dent was the most uneven I believe. We don't see a lot of his 'dark' side. And even when we do, it is more believable that he is unhinged not because of psychological reasons but because of stress and fear. I also don't see him as "the white knight," simply because we are told.
While I disagree with your assertion that the Long Halloween approach was the one to take, I do agree that Dent's transformation into Two-Face was far weaker than it should have been. Dent's character would have been better served by replacing Rachel in Batman Begins with Dent, and allowing the character to develop across two movies.

I didn't like how Gorden was promoted to Commissioner without having any evidence to back up how well he is doing. Show us, don't tell us.
He had served his job well as a Sergeant, done the same as a Lieutenant, and had proven that he was a good, true, honest cop in a city with few such people. Don't forget that he was able to manage the outbreak in the Narrows (in Batman Begins) and had orchestrated the Joker's capture in The Dark Knight.

I still don't understand the whole Chinese plot, as it made absolutely no sense but eh. It's a comic book movie. Nothing too deep about that when things don't make sense.
The Nolans' script adhered to Anton Chekhov's idea that if a plot element were introduced in the first act of a story, it must be used by the third act of the story (otherwise, there was no point in adding that element in the first place). The Hong Kong subplot served to introduce the Batman's mini-C4 gun (or whatever the hell that thing was), as well as the sonar technology.

I'm not saying I like it, but I understand its placement in the story.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 09:20 PM   #707
Harvey
Admiral

David cgc wrote: View Post
Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
I wish it had been explained as such in the film, but thanks for this. I don't suppose there's a webpage out there that explains microwaves in laymen's terms, is there?
Even if there is, there surely isn't one that explains non-dairy powdered creamer.
I'm sensing a story idea for the X-Files 3.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 10:05 PM   #708
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I don't think the box office will be high enough to warrant X-Files 3.
Old July 26 2008, 10:19 PM   #709
Harvey
Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Hey, a fanboy can dream, can't he?

Hold on, I'm going to go watch my copy of Buckaroo Bonzai vs. The World Crime League, and after that take a nap while Serenity 2: Electric Boogaloo and a third season of 24 that properly resolve the season 2 cliffhanger act as some nice background noise.

Oh, fanboy sadness.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 10:53 PM   #710
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Hey, a fanboy can dream, can't he?

Hold on, I'm going to go watch my copy of Buckaroo Bonzai vs. The World Crime League, and after that take a nap while Serenity 2: Electric Boogaloo and a third season of 24 that properly resolve the season 2 cliffhanger act as some nice background noise.

Oh, fanboy sadness.
I don't suppose you have the fifth season of Farscape, too?

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 11:02 PM   #711
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I do. It's called Stargate...
Old July 26 2008, 11:07 PM   #712
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I watched that and that was no Farscape. Thanks for trying.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 12:22 AM   #713
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

This works here probably as well as anywhere else, but the Angry Video Game Nerd takes a look at some Batman games for the NES, SNES, Sega CD and Commodore 64.

LINK

If you're not familliar with this guy, he takes a look at (old) video games and "reviews" them in an, er... "colorful" manner. WARNING: Graphic, vile, language.
Old July 27 2008, 12:25 AM   #714
nx1701g
Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
I watched that and that was no Farscape. Thanks for trying.
Eh he shoots and misses. The Death Star has cleared the planet and now the Rebellion is destroyed.

Sorry, I'm in geek mode today.
Old July 27 2008, 12:26 AM   #715
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

JKTim wrote: View Post
The character development of Harvey Dent was the most uneven I believe. We don't see a lot of his 'dark' side. And even when we do, it is more believable that he is unhinged not because of psychological reasons but because of stress and fear. I also don't see him as "the white knight," simply because we are told.
While I disagree with your assertion that the Long Halloween approach was the one to take, I do agree that Dent's transformation into Two-Face was far weaker than it should have been. Dent's character would have been better served by replacing Rachel in Batman Begins with Dent, and allowing the character to develop across two movies.
Well, I would have liked to see more of Harvey Dent's dark side. I understand that the effects of what happened (Rachel's death) and his disfiguring played a major part, and maybe I am transferring what I know of Dent to the character, about his two-sided personality. And maybe he is just unhinged by all of it? Who knows. But it was weak if Harvey Dent is suppose to be more like his comic book persona than anything.

I didn't like how Gorden was promoted to Commissioner without having any evidence to back up how well he is doing. Show us, don't tell us.
He had served his job well as a Sergeant, done the same as a Lieutenant, and had proven that he was a good, true, honest cop in a city with few such people. Don't forget that he was able to manage the outbreak in the Narrows (in Batman Begins) and had orchestrated the Joker's capture in The Dark Knight.
True, they TOLD us he was doing well. But to me it came out of the blue. Is Lieutenant Gordon the only cop on the force? And with Dent's comment earlier that he's been cleaning up the GCPD, I don't see Gordon as the only good cop. While he has an impressive record, the movie felt like there was more to Gordon. I am wondering about the GCPD because it all felt uneven.

I still don't understand the whole Chinese plot, as it made absolutely no sense but eh. It's a comic book movie. Nothing too deep about that when things don't make sense.
The Nolans' script adhered to Anton Chekhov's idea that if a plot element were introduced in the first act of a story, it must be used by the third act of the story (otherwise, there was no point in adding that element in the first place). The Hong Kong subplot served to introduce the Batman's mini-C4 gun (or whatever the hell that thing was), as well as the sonar technology.

True but I wish they cut out the entire Chinese plot. It made no sense to the story whatsoever.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 12:34 AM   #716
nx1701g
Admiral

JKTim wrote: View Post
Well, I would have liked to see more of Harvey Dent's dark side. I understand that the effects of what happened (Rachel's death) and his disfiguring played a major part, and maybe I am transferring what I know of Dent to the character, about his two-sided personality. And maybe he is just unhinged by all of it? Who knows. But it was weak if Harvey Dent is suppose to be more like his comic book persona than anything.
I personally would have liked to see him start off as Holiday.
Old July 27 2008, 12:52 AM   #717
davejames
Vice Admiral

True but I wish they cut out the entire Chinese plot. It made no sense to the story whatsoever.
Huh? I thought it was pretty clear that they needed to bring the guy back to Gotham to testify against the mob bosses. Seemed pretty straightforward to me.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 01:01 AM   #718
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post

Huh? I thought it was pretty clear that they needed to bring the guy back to Gotham to testify against the mob bosses. Seemed pretty straightforward to me.
Even in the 'comic book world', the abduction of a citizen outside United States jurisdiction is a bit iffy, if not highly illegal. It can be done if there is extraditing laws, but I highly doubt that China and the United States have extraditing laws.

First off, they didn't run it by the Mayor. Secondly, it was on the freaking NEWS. Third, even if the Chinese, ignored it, they would still be in there right to protest the kidnapping and incarceration of one of their citizens indefinitely. Fourth, since he died. Well that brings up even more repercussions not only for the GCPD, but for Gotham itself and the United States. What the hell are they going to say, "Oops our bad." Yeah, like that'll fly.
Old July 27 2008, 01:12 AM   #719
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

True, they TOLD us he was doing well. But to me it came out of the blue. Is Lieutenant Gordon the only cop on the force? And with Dent's comment earlier that he's been cleaning up the GCPD, I don't see Gordon as the only good cop. While he has an impressive record, the movie felt like there was more to Gordon. I am wondering about the GCPD because it all felt uneven.
Don't forget to consider that Gordon was in charge of his own special squad, one that was apparently considered to be so important that it was given its own designated headquarters separate from any precincts or GCPD headquarters. Heading up the Major Crimes Unit may well have been an important reason Mayor Garcia promoted Gordon, despite Loeb's belief that Gordon was unlikely to ever ascend that high within the GCPD.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 01:15 AM   #720
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

True but there were corrupt cops still in Gordon's unit. I just don't SEE how they made it. I understand it but too much dialogue, not enough showing. I wanted to see Gordon do more than break into a few banks. I wanted him to go after some of the petty criminals set free in Batman Begins.