Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 26 2008, 08:17 AM   #691
3D Master
Rear Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
Kaijufan wrote: View Post
I can't even imagine the problems he would have as a prisoner at Arkham, being the former director. Didn't he test his fear toxin on the inmates? I'm sure there's more then a few inmates who want him dead.
In the novel it was one of his own test subjects that came back to look for him to help him. There was a certain degree of loyalty in the people he experimented on toward him. This isn't exactly uncommon in psychology either for the person being experimented upon to remain loyal to or become loyal to the tester.
Oh I'm sure some of his test subjects became loyal to him but I doubt all of them are. Some of them probably hate him for what he did to them.
More likely too scared of him to do anything but scream and run away, or cower and obey.
3D Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 10:41 AM   #692
T'Pers0n
Fleet Captain

I liked the part where Fox finally met The Batman. For over a year, he's playing this game of plausible deniability with Bruce. When he finally sees Bruce in the suit, he's admiring this monstrous machine and still talking in that strange Batman voice. Fox has to be thinking "Oh hell. What have I done? This guy is actually completely insane".
Old July 26 2008, 01:30 PM   #693
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Or he just realizes that Wayne is using that voice out of habit.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 02:46 PM   #694
nx1701g
Admiral

^ In the novel he was genuinely frightened of Bruce when he heard the Batman voice. It was like they were two different people he comments.
Old July 26 2008, 03:24 PM   #695
captcalhoun
Admiral

which is the whole idea and why i *love* the Bat-voice. it's intimidating, yes, but it also serves to set Batman apart from Bruce.

i mean, honestly, how no one ever twigged Clooney-Bats or Kilmer-Bats were Bruce I will never know...

and as for Robin...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 04:09 PM   #696
Augustus
Fleet Captain

I like the bat voice personally....

"I killed those people"..... sounds like he is about to sneeze

Old July 26 2008, 04:29 PM   #697
jbny67
Commander

Tyberius wrote: View Post
Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Where Nolan's film stumble a bit is in the more extreme technical concepts, which are probably the same "confused and ridiculous tech" you reference. Batman Begins' microwave generator isn't preposterous, but the way it selectively vaporizes water in the movie certainly is....
I have seen several people express issue with this microwave device. We are all accustomed to the little box that boils water, heats our chicken and pops popcorn. This is not that device.

The consumer microwave oven operates over a broad range of frequencies. In contrast, the microwave emitter of BB would have the capability to operate on a single frequency. This single frequency would be the one that boils water (or in the case of BB, the single frequency would be the one that boils water laden with toxin) and not one that boils a saline solution (a different frequency).
That's a great theory and it would do a great job of explaining how it was able to work the way it did in The Narrows. It would not explain, however, how it worked on the ship it was stolen from. Any water in the pipes of the ship would not have had the fear toxin in it.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 04:36 PM   #698
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I liked how Batman didn't always show up when the bat signal was turned on and that Gordon and the force understood. It's a refreshing change from the old "he's not coming" let-down attitude we saw in the past. I've always figured that Batman can't always be there.

I'm also wondering how Batman made his way through the police station to meet Gordon without being seen. Or did he even have to since Nolan's Batman doesn't live completely in the realm of rumor and myth and has developed a partnership with the police. And since we're on the subject, how do people feel about Batman not being more of a mystery to the public?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 05:37 PM   #699
captcalhoun
Admiral

i think he is still something of a mystery. they may know he exists, (like in Batman 89) but not a lot more. looking at the GCN viral site, there seems a lot of mystery attached to him. it's not like f***ing Batman and Robin with them attending a charity event and being interviewed on TV...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 05:41 PM   #700
nx1701g
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I'm also wondering how Batman made his way through the police station to meet Gordon without being seen. Or did he even have to since Nolan's Batman doesn't live completely in the realm of rumor and myth and has developed a partnership with the police. And since we're on the subject, how do people feel about Batman not being more of a mystery to the public?
In the novel Gordon leaves the window open for him to come into the office. There are several parts (in both TDK and GK novelizations) where people are trying to see into Gordon's office to see if Batman is there. A lot of them had never seen him before.
Old July 26 2008, 06:52 PM   #701
nx1701g
Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ In the novel he was genuinely frightened of Bruce when he heard the Batman voice. It was like they were two different people he comments.
Ok I just reread the part where Lucius and Batman met.

The Dark Knight:
What Wayne had done with the technology Lucius' had given him was, in Lucius' opinion, pure evil. He had no doubt that Bruce Wayne was a good man, but he was starting to doubt Bruce's nocturnal alter ego, and the lengths that it seemed willing to go to. The lines that had been crossed... Maybe this was one of those three faces-of-Eve deals, different personalities inhabiting the same body. And maybe Lucius wasn't serving the good personality anymore.
Old July 26 2008, 07:34 PM   #702
davejames
Vice Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
which is the whole idea and why i *love* the Bat-voice. it's intimidating, yes, but it also serves to set Batman apart from Bruce.

i mean, honestly, how no one ever twigged Clooney-Bats or Kilmer-Bats were Bruce I will never know...

and as for Robin...
Yeah Clooney and Kilmer didn't even try to change their voice. Keaton did a better job, although he didn't really need to because you could barely recognize him with the costume on ANYWAY. lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 07:39 PM   #703
davejames
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I liked how Batman didn't always show up when the bat signal was turned on and that Gordon and the force understood. It's a refreshing change from the old "he's not coming" let-down attitude we saw in the past. I've always figured that Batman can't always be there.
Speaking of which... wouldn't it be a lot more convenient for both of them if Batman just gave him his freakin cell phone number?

I mean, this isn't 1940 anymore. Technology HAS progressed since then. (Yeah yeah, I know the bat signal is part of the mythos and has to be there)
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 07:40 PM   #704
DWF
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
captcalhoun wrote: View Post

and as for Robin...
Yeah Clooney and Kilmer didn't even try to change their voice. Keaton did a better job, although he didn't really need to because you could barely recognize him with the costume on ANYWAY. lol
No I thought Kilmer changed his voice more than once he had a public Bruce Wayne voice, a Batman voice and a private Bruce Wayne voice.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 07:42 PM   #705
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

I'm going to do a quick review, since I have been thinking about this movie a lot:

I liked it. It was a strong movie. Above average but there was something off. I had a lot of fun and Heath Ledger was the definitive live action Joker, but in all -- this movie was lacking something here or there.

The character development of Harvey Dent was the most uneven I believe. We don't see a lot of his 'dark' side. And even when we do, it is more believable that he is unhinged not because of psychological reasons but because of stress and fear. I also don't see him as "the white knight," simply because we are told. There isn't much action around him portraying him as the white knight. Yes, he goes after mobsters, and yes he is starting to clean up the streets but we can only assume this through words and not action. It would have been nice to see him actually going out like in the Long Halloween.

The Joker. I don't know. He was brilliant but again, something off. I wanted to see his parallel to the Dark Knight more than just that he is a deranged lunatic that dresses up. I wanted to see part of his origin because of the Dark Knight. He comes out of almost no where and has been making some noise for the past what? 6 months? I wanted to see a small flashback of him, how he became the Joker. I wanted him to be a two-bit criminal that crossed paths with the Dark Knight before and it was the Dark Knight that pushed him over the edge. As the Joker said, "you complete me." Why? Because it is the Dark Knight that created him. The Joker is interested in the Dark Knight psychologically, and as Terry said in Batman Beyond, it is because Batman is so serious, so uptight that is why the Joker is his foil, why he is interested in him. They are two halves of a whole.

Rachel should have left in Batman Begins. She should have taken a job in another city. She offered little to the story, except for an emotional outlet for the two main leads.

Harvey Dent's transformation into Two-Face was more believable physically than anything and I believe psychologically as well, even if we didn't see his Dark side before.

I didn't like how Gorden was promoted to Commissioner without having any evidence to back up how well he is doing. Show us, don't tell us.

Batman was Batman. And the minors did well like Fox and Alfred.

I still don't understand the whole Chinese plot, as it made absolutely no sense but eh. It's a comic book movie. Nothing too deep about that when things don't make sense.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote