Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 24 2008, 10:22 PM   #631
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

biotech wrote: View Post
BTW, how does a normal man grab a gun barrel and bend it down?
He's clearly shown putting a device away that he used to augment his strength and cause it to bend, presumably the same device he attempts to use to open the Scarecrow's van like a can.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 10:25 PM   #632
cultcross
Say my name...

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
He's clearly shown putting a device away that he used to augment his strength and cause it to bend, presumably the same device he attempts to use to open the Scarecrow's van like a can.
I'm glad I read people saying this - I totally missed this, I thought it was way too Superman. They shoudl have made more of the hydraulic arm thingy in that shot, i feel.
Old July 24 2008, 10:31 PM   #633
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

cultcross wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I'm glad I read people saying this - I totally missed this, I thought it was way too Superman. They shoudl have made more of the hydraulic arm thingy in that shot, i feel.
"Clearly shown" may have been overstating things a bit, I'll grant. I've seen the film three times (3.5, but that's another story...), but I understood what happened with the gun the first time I saw it. The device probably could've been in the shot a bit more, but there was the definitely clear hydraulic sound.
Old July 24 2008, 10:51 PM   #634
biotech
Vice Admiral

If it were that clearly shown I wouldn't have asked the question.
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 11:08 PM   #635
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

There was a clear hydraulic/mechanical sound when he bent the barrel and then there was him ditching (changing the head) the device when/after he started cutting into the side of the van. It was obvious to me on the first showing.
Old July 24 2008, 11:20 PM   #636
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
There was a clear hydraulic/mechanical sound when he bent the barrel and then there was him ditching (changing the head) the device when/after he started cutting into the side of the van. It was obvious to me on the first showing.
Same here. I thought it was pretty obvious, till I saw some people here were confused about it.

Personally, I loved it. Sure there was a couple of niggles, but overall it was fantastic. Heath Ledger really deserves the praise, but Eckhart, Bale, and Oldman were great too.
Old July 24 2008, 11:33 PM   #637
cultcross
Say my name...

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I saw it on the van sequence, obviously. Hard to miss there - but to be honest, a lot of sound subtlety was lost on me in this film simply due to the music volume. Any sound I heard I must have assumed was the gun bending. Definitely didn't spot the hand device in that move.
Old July 24 2008, 11:35 PM   #638
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

Outstanding movie.

Sadly ironic that they (most likely) kill off the character who could be kept around for future movies, yet keep alove the character that, arguably, would take a lot for anyone to even want to see show up again (given that it's hard to find anyone who could follow a performance like Ledger's).

A little bit of a waste about Scarecrow at the start - I guess it was only meant to be a cameo, but it still seemed like a bit of a waste (not least since he wasn't, well, actually scaring anyone) - but that's more of a nitpick than anything.

I still hope that Ra's - and Talia! - can find their way into a future movie, though...

----------------------
The Star Fleet Universe: ST: TOS' other legacy.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 11:44 PM   #639
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

cultcross wrote: View Post
Any sound I heard I must have assumed was the gun bending. Definitely didn't spot the hand device in that move.

How many bending gun barrels sounds like a mechanical whirr?

Last edited by Trekker4747; July 25 2008 at 12:01 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 11:48 PM   #640
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Was that definately Scarecrow at the beginning? Also, wasn't the guy that Dent was torturing Scarecrow? I wasn't positive, especially since he left the first Scarecrow with the mock-Batmen, and while the second one looked very similar, he should have been in jail already (twice!).

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 11:55 PM   #641
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Was that definately Scarecrow at the beginning? Also, wasn't the guy that Dent was torturing Scarecrow? I wasn't positive, especially since he left the first Scarecrow with the mock-Batmen, and while the second one looked very similar, he should have been in jail already (twice!).
Yes, that was Scarecrow. It was even Cillian Murphy when Batman unmasked him. And no, that was Thomas Swift, one of Joker's goons (which Batman says specifically when he finds Dent questioning him).

And at the end of Batman Begins The Scarecrow was missing. He was not taken into custody. Even Gordon mentions that they hadn't found "Crane or half the inmates at Arkham that he freed". So Batman capturing The Scarecrow was actually completing an arc that was established in Batman Begins.
Old July 24 2008, 11:59 PM   #642
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

That was Cillian Murphy at the beginning of the film as the Scarecrow. The man Dent was torturing was a different character, though one who shares similar facial features with Murphy. I can't remember that character's name now, though the Batman did say it, and so can't find the actor's name.

EDIT: And, of course, I was too slow. Damn you, Jackson. Damn you! Guess that's what I get for trying to find that actor's name instead of just going ahead and posting.

Last edited by PsychoPere; July 25 2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Too slow
Old July 25 2008, 12:02 AM   #643
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
The guy at the begining WAS Scarecrow - I liked that moment too, the suggestion that (like in the series and comics all of these themed villans are running around out there)- the guy Dent was torturing was not. I thought it may have been too but I guess it wasn't.
Old July 25 2008, 12:07 AM   #644
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I really liked that we saw Scarecrow again, and I also really liked that he was captured, and not killed (as rumored). I wanted more of Scarecrow, but he served his role, and it did offer for a great reintroduction of Batman in the film.
Old July 25 2008, 12:09 AM   #645
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I really liked that we saw Scarecrow again, and I also really liked that he was captured, and not killed (as rumored). I wanted more of Scarecrow, but he served his role, and it did offer for a great reintroduction of Batman in the film.
Batman: "[growly]I don't NEED help!!![/growly]"
Scarecrow: "[smugly]That's not my diagnosis.[/smugly]"