Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 20 2008, 07:55 AM   #286
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Terak Rall wrote: View Post
Camelopard wrote: View Post
There is a Batman "theme," and it's quite distinctive, when you hear it. But it's just two long notes in the background, like a hunting horn: naa-NAA. My knowledge of music theory is relatively limited, and my ear is not altogether reliable, but I believe the interval between the two is called a "perfect fourth". It's heavy, slow, and somber.
As a musician I couldn't let this one slide. It's a minor third, not a perfect fourth.
No, please: correct me! I'm actually trying to learn more music theory. It's frustrating to be a classical music lover, and to be unable to discuss the subject.

I just checked my "solfege" program and I hear it now. Thanks for not letting me slide.
Old July 20 2008, 07:57 AM   #287
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

davejames wrote: View Post
Well as someone who didn't care for Begins and is a lifelong admirer of the '89 movie..... I gotta say TDK was really damn good. The story was a huge improvement over the one in Begins (even though it did lose me a few times, lol), and of course Ledger's Joker is absolutely perfect (and yes, much better than Nicholson's hammy version).

But still... while I agree with all the accolades, I'm a bit torn. As good as this movie is, this didn't really feel enough like a Batman movie to me. This was just a really good crime movie... with a few appearances by a guy in a batsuit.

Maybe I'm just being childish, but I'll always prefer the more colorful superhero/comic book world of the Burton movies and BTAS-- where there was still something fantastic about Batman and his world (and his villains), whether he actually had super powers or not.

As great an accomplishment as TDK is, I just think Nolan took the character a little too far from that comic book world, and what made me love Batman in the first place
I think that is what my problem is as well. It was good but...didn't feel right in a lot of ways.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 08:00 AM   #288
Goliath
Vice Admiral

T'Pers0n wrote: View Post
Bruce accepting responsibility for the murders would work for both Dent's reputation and Batman's. The problem relayed to Batman by Maroni was that no one was scared of him anymore because he wouldn't kill. Now that people think Batman has killed dirty cops and crooks, they would be afraid of him because he may kill again.
That's true. I never thought of that.
Old July 20 2008, 08:27 AM   #289
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Saw it earlier tonight. Freaking excellent. Ledger and Eckhart both turned in amazing performances, finally giving me the Joker and Two Face as I've longed to see them.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 08:41 AM   #290
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
S. Gomez wrote: View Post
And I'm really, really glad Gordon isn't dead! I have to admit they got me with that one.
Yeah, I didn't see that one coming either; which was weird, looking back, because intellectually I knew Gordon couldn't possibly be dead, but the movies old me on it subjectively.
I think I finally clicked in that it was a fake-out about five seconds before the reveal, when I realized that there were scenes with Gordon in the trailer that we hadn't gotten to yet. But they had me going for quite a while...
Old July 20 2008, 08:51 AM   #291
Reynolds
Commander

Camelopard wrote: View Post
Bruce accepting responsibility for the murders would work for both Dent's reputation and Batman's. The problem relayed to Batman by Maroni was that no one was scared of him anymore because he wouldn't kill. Now that people think Batman has killed dirty cops and crooks, they would be afraid of him because he may kill again.
That's true. I never thought of that.
Yeah. Criminals were scared shitless of Batman in the 1989 version.
"They say he can't be killed. They say he drinks blood."
Old July 20 2008, 09:23 AM   #292
TGTheodore
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
Maybe I'm just being childish, but I'll always prefer the more colorful superhero/comic book world of the Burton movies and BTAS-- where there was still something fantastic about Batman and his world (and his villains), even if he wasn't your traditional, super-powered superhero.
God bless you for not using "fantastical." Talk about the trendy running of a word into the ground ...

--Ted
Old July 20 2008, 11:43 AM   #293
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Actually, his wife's name is Barbara. Meaning his daughter's name isn't.
Is there some physical law I'm not aware of that prevents someone from naming their kid the same name as a parent?
Old July 20 2008, 01:16 PM   #294
Crewman6
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Dent's reputation had to be maintained in order to keep the convicted cons/mafia in prison. If what Dent did as Two-Face got out then his credibility would be harmed and it'd endanger the convictions on the mafia guys.
But, due to the death of Lao, none of those convictions were going to stick. Gordon even has a line where he admits that, and that everything they worked for was for nothing.
Crewman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 01:50 PM   #295
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

And I'm really, really glad Gordon isn't dead! I have to admit they got me with that one.
I'd decided they pulled a fake-out with the trailer.

After they said that Gordon was down, I mentally flashed to the scene in the trailer where Gordon is talking about the things in Joker's pockets.

And I'd decided, "They must have filmed that especially for the trailer, so that Gordon's death halfway through the film is a surprise."

So when Gordon turned up alive? My jaw nearly hit the floor.

Only the reveal of Ra's al-Ghul in Batman Begins shocked me more.
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 02:32 PM   #296
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
Actually I believe in Batman Begins, Barbara is the name of his daughter as well.
No, neither of the children are named in Batman Begins, nor is his wife.

Canadave wrote: View Post
CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Yeah, I didn't see that one coming either; which was weird, looking back, because intellectually I knew Gordon couldn't possibly be dead, but the movies old me on it subjectively.
I think I finally clicked in that it was a fake-out about five seconds before the reveal, when I realized that there were scenes with Gordon in the trailer that we hadn't gotten to yet. But they had me going for quite a while...
I knew Gordon couldn't be dead because I remembered the clip of Gordon being held back by two cops (which turned out to be when Rachel died). Still, I was surprised that they tried to pretend that Gordon was dead.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
Actually, his wife's name is Barbara. Meaning his daughter's name isn't.
Is there some physical law I'm not aware of that prevents someone from naming their kid the same name as a parent?
I think Aragorn is saying that it's unlikely for that to happen for a daughter to be named after her mother. Which, of course, is complete rubbish. I can think of multiple cases, both real and fictional, where the daugther is named after the mother.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 03:09 PM   #297
Hicks
Captain

YYZ wrote: View Post
What happened the court rooms... they looked like sets compared to the first film...
What was different about them? The only thing I can think of is that I believe they didn't have windows this time. Many court rooms don't. But the one in Begins did.

Their sizes also vary.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 03:15 PM   #298
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Hicks wrote: View Post
YYZ wrote: View Post
What happened the court rooms... they looked like sets compared to the first film...
What was different about them? The only thing I can think of is that I believe they didn't have windows this time. Many court rooms don't. But the one in Begins did.

Their sizes also vary.
The court scenes was the only thing I didn't like about The Dark Knight. The court room seen in The Dark Knight does look like a set, not just because of the lack of windows, but because they were dressed simpler. From what I recall, there was nothing on the walls, no seal, no architectural pleasantries, no flag (but I could be wrong about that bit), nothing but flat boring walls. The court room in Batman Begins had much going on for it.

In addition to the actual set, I thought the acting was a bit awkward and stilted, but maybe that's because I've watched too much Law & Order.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 03:29 PM   #299
Hicks
Captain

Yeah, you're right. I thought about that after I walked out of the movie.

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
Actually I believe in Batman Begins, Barbara is the name of his daughter as well.
And now that I think about it, there's a continuity error there.

The implication has been that the time between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight is no more than a year (in fact it feels less than that to me).

Yet in Begins, we see Gordon's wife feeding a baby in a high chair, and yet in TDK both kids are at least 4/5 years old.

Emh wrote: View Post
The court scenes was the only thing I didn't like about The Dark Knight. The court room seen in The Dark Knight does look like a set, not just because of the lack of windows, but because they were dressed simpler. From what I recall, there was nothing on the walls, no seal, no architectural pleasantries, no flag (but I could be wrong about that bit), nothing but flat boring walls. The court room in Batman Begins had much going on for it.

In addition to the actual set, I thought the acting was a bit awkward and stilted, but maybe that's because I've watched too much Law & Order.
I guess I'll have to send a memo to the court houses I visit near my home (I do depositions) to spruce up their court rooms?

Last edited by Hicks; July 20 2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old July 20 2008, 03:35 PM   #300
Hicks
Captain

*delete please, sorry*