Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 20 2008, 05:14 AM   #121
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along blog

That was bloody brillant!!! I love the whole concept of this thing from start to end, I might be the only one here who LOVES the ending. It was sad what happened but ironic in a way too the villan finally WON and seeing Captain Hammer in therapy was hilarious! Everyone performed beautifully...this should be released in theatres in front of a movie so more people can see it! I can't wait to get the DVD...I want a soundtrack too because the songs were great. I wouldn't mind getting Captain Hammer's t-shirt...

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 05:29 AM   #122
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Upon watching Part 3 again, I can appreciate it more. However, I do wish Penny had gotten one more song in this segment....I want to know what she was thinking at the end there.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 05:31 AM   #123
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Actually I thought that she might break into a song during her death scene...that would be like Joss.

Old July 20 2008, 05:34 AM   #124
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Best Supervillian musical ever!

Best line is "The hammer is my penis".
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 05:52 AM   #125
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Oh I should mention...the final scene of Dr. Horrible walking into the conference room with the League of Evil in his new bitchen awesome red suit was awesome. NPH was truly awesome in this...

Old July 20 2008, 08:09 AM   #126
Technobuilder
Commodore

If anything, Penny's Death scene summarizes exactly what Dr. Horrible was talking about.

Even Penny who knew the man behind the Hammer as it were, was of the belief that this guy who thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and only thought of himself, would save her in the end. To be that deluded about those we see as Heroes is frightening. Just because Capt. Hammer was "The Good Guy", didn't mean he was a good guy. Yet the "shee-ple" don't see the flaws, and go along anyway even when he insults them, belittles them, and in the end endangers them by pulling the trigger on a damaged ray gun.

Sadly, Horrible was right about everything. Penny's last words solidified his resolve more than anything else, and he starts down his path, but that still doesn't mean his path won't be an empty one.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 09:48 AM   #127
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

auntiehill wrote: View Post
What a sad ending! But, I felt, very appropriate. As the old adage says, "Be careful what you wish for."

It did crack me up, though, that Bad Horse was a real horse.
Yeah, I loved that too. And it seems to add more to the "Or he'll make you his mare." line.
Old July 20 2008, 01:24 PM   #128
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Dr. Horrible: The Early Years
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 03:30 PM   #129
witchie
Commodore

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
If anything, Penny's Death scene summarizes exactly what Dr. Horrible was talking about.

Even Penny who knew the man behind the Hammer as it were, was of the belief that this guy who thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and only thought of himself, would save her in the end. To be that deluded about those we see as Heroes is frightening. Just because Capt. Hammer was "The Good Guy", didn't mean he was a good guy. Yet the "shee-ple" don't see the flaws, and go along anyway even when he insults them, belittles them, and in the end endangers them by pulling the trigger on a damaged ray gun.

Sadly, Horrible was right about everything. Penny's last words solidified his resolve more than anything else, and he starts down his path, but that still doesn't mean his path won't be an empty one.
Bravo! Nothing to add. Carry on.
witchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 03:57 PM   #130
stonester1
Rear Admiral

I agree completely. I kinda think some people got attached to their idea of what should happen, rather than just going with it.
I know people think it's cliche that Joss killed the love interest again, but I thought it was pretty much the only way it could go down.
Count me in this as well, and it's not with Joss. I see this a LOT in fandom, with fans wanting to go x direction with a story and getting out of sorts when the author goes his/her own direction instead.

Just go with it.
Old July 20 2008, 04:26 PM   #131
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

Or, you know, people just have different opinions. No need to justify yours by saying that anyone who thinks differently must not be enlightened enough (like you are) to go with the flow. I'll respect yours if you can respect mine.
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 04:39 PM   #132
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Hunter X wrote: View Post
Or, you know, people just have different opinions. No need to justify yours by saying that anyone who thinks differently must not be enlightened enough (like you are) to go with the flow. I'll respect yours if you can respect mine.
Was that directed at me? Nothing about "enlightenment". I just don't have the temerity to think that I know better than the author how he should write his story, especially one as accomplished as Joss.

As a rule, when I'm enjoying something created by someone else, I'm content to sit back and let them take me for a ride. Not come up with how I think the characters should go on their journey. I didn't write it, so it's not up to me.
Old July 20 2008, 04:50 PM   #133
cultcross
Say my name...

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
That was bloody brillant!!! I love the whole concept of this thing from start to end, I might be the only one here who LOVES the ending. It was sad what happened but ironic in a way too the villan finally WON and seeing Captain Hammer in therapy was hilarious! Everyone performed beautifully...this should be released in theatres in front of a movie so more people can see it! I can't wait to get the DVD...I want a soundtrack too because the songs were great. I wouldn't mind getting Captain Hammer's t-shirt...
Ditto to all this, loved it, fantastic songs and some really brilliant humour - "the hammer is my penis"

thank you for introducing that to me, Bob! I'm still laughing at it now
Old July 20 2008, 04:59 PM   #134
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post
Was that directed at me? Nothing about "enlightenment". I just don't have the temerity to think that I know better than the author how he should write his story, especially one as accomplished as Joss.

As a rule, when I'm enjoying something created by someone else, I'm content to sit back and let them take me for a ride. Not come up with how I think the characters should go on their journey. I didn't write it, so it's not up to me.
The "you" was plural, for all who were saying that anyone who didn't like it must be unable to accept the author's right to write what he/she wants. I agree that the viewer should be willing to go along with the ride, but there's nothing wrong with getting off the ride and not enjoying it as much as others might have, so there's no need to say that those who didn't like it must've been in a certain mindset that prejudiced them from the start.
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 05:12 PM   #135
stonester1
Rear Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post

The "you" was plural, for all who were saying that anyone who didn't like it must be unable to accept the author's right to write what he/she wants. I agree that the viewer should be willing to go along with the ride, but there's nothing wrong with getting off the ride and not enjoying it as much as others might have, so there's no need to say that those who didn't like it must've been in a certain mindset that prejudiced them from the start.

There is nothing wrong with that, true. But it is also true that some fans DO go with that attitude. That the ride should go in the direction THEY want, and if it doesn't, they get out of joint.