New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 19 2008, 06:29 AM   #106
Kryton
Admiral

Re: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along blog

Well, at least we meet the Evil League of Evil!

Bad Horse
Professor Normal
Fake Thomas Jefferson
Tie-Die
Dead Bowie
Fury Leika
and
Snake Bite

That was sad. And not nearly as entertaining as parts 1 and 2.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 06:30 AM   #107
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

Pilot Ace wrote: View Post
FALCONX0N wrote: View Post
I kind of thought
When that didn't happen, I was kind of shocked.
That would've been awesome!
I think that would have been uninteresting, personally.

Anyway, I thought the ending was totally appropriate. This whole thing was about people failing at things. It was like the musical version of The Venture Bros really!
Old July 19 2008, 06:33 AM   #108
FALCONX0N
Captain

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Joss, you bastard. Yeah, part three was disappointing. I thought for sure that this would end with his reform. That's where the story seemed to be heading. Oh well. The first two parts were still great.

I kind of thought

Yeah, you think I'd have learned by now to try and guess what Joss Whedon was about to do...

As for Dr Horrible, I don't think the last installment was quite as bad as some people saw it. For one thing, Captain Hammer just singing "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAH" while giving Horrible the finger was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

Though, come to think of it, why did the death ray explode? Did I miss some phelbotinium?
FALCONX0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 06:37 AM   #109
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

^It's because Dr. Horrible is a totally inept supervillain and his death ray was a piece of crap.
Old July 19 2008, 06:39 AM   #110
Kryton
Admiral

It was a Stun ray with the word "Death" taped over Stun.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 06:59 AM   #111
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

For sure, Act III had some really funny bits, and I found the songs just as strong as any of the other ones all the way through--though Captain Hammer's number went on a bit too long for my liking. I just didn't think that the overall story came together well, plus it reduced Penny's character to a plot device. I don't mind unhappy endings. I like a lot of Joss' endings. This one just didn't really fit for me, and I thought that it cheated to get where it wanted to be more than a little bit.
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 09:07 AM   #112
Bob The Skutter
The Revd's Oldman

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Joss, you bastard. Yeah, part three was disappointing. I thought for sure that this would end with his reform. That's where the story seemed to be heading. Oh well. The first two parts were still great.

I kind of thought

Yeah, you think I'd have learned by now to try and guess what Joss Whedon was about to do...

As for Dr Horrible, I don't think the last installment was quite as bad as some people saw it. For one thing, Captain Hammer just singing "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAH" while giving Horrible the finger was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

Though, come to think of it, why did the death ray explode? Did I miss some phelbotinium?
When it was dropped on the floor you could see red arcs coming off it, that weren't before, that indicates it was damaged.
Old July 19 2008, 12:44 PM   #113
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I think Joss miscalculated on this one. You can go for the shocking twists when you've got other stuff to fall back on, but this effort wasn't substantive enough for that. I feel this ending is going to hurt DVD sales.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 01:40 PM   #114
Jono
Rear Admiral

The ending was a bit of a surprise but I thought it was good. Dr. Horrible was basically a super villian want to be (like Johnny Snow!) who had a sort of romantic view at his profession as shown by the first two episodes. He sort of accepts it in the end of the third and is faced with the harsh reality of what he aspires to in the end, once again thanks to the fact that he isn't really good at what he does, and in the end despite getting what he has always wanted it leaves him empty inside.

I hope they do more of this in the future, not sure if they have any set plans for continuation (if someone does know I'd like to be filled in).
Jono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 03:20 PM   #115
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I thought Act III was a fitting end to the overall story. Captain Hammer's "Everyone's a hero" was just a little too long for my personal tastes, but Fillion played that bit to perfection as the clueless, narcissistic superpowered oaf. Dr Horrible bearing responsibility for Penny's death was, I thought, the right way to handle the character. He's just not very good at being evil and his heart really isn't in it, yet he wants to be a supervillain nonetheless. It felt right to me that he would continue on, not knowing what else to do now that the life of his love was dead -- and since it was by his hands, he becomes emotionally numb, a necessary step in taking his evil goals seriously and understanding the cost of his actions.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 09:17 PM   #116
Tomato
Rear Admiral

Oh jeezz Joss, Not again. how very cliche of you.

seriously just when I thought you could make a fun campy show you had to turn around and do that.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 09:22 PM   #117
Bob The Skutter
The Revd's Oldman

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I thought Act III was a fitting end to the overall story. Captain Hammer's "Everyone's a hero" was just a little too long for my personal tastes, but Fillion played that bit to perfection as the clueless, narcissistic superpowered oaf. Dr Horrible bearing responsibility for Penny's death was, I thought, the right way to handle the character. He's just not very good at being evil and his heart really isn't in it, yet he wants to be a supervillain nonetheless. It felt right to me that he would continue on, not knowing what else to do now that the life of his love was dead -- and since it was by his hands, he becomes emotionally numb, a necessary step in taking his evil goals seriously and understanding the cost of his actions.
I agree completely. I kinda think some people got attached to their idea of what should happen, rather than just going with it.
I know people think it's cliche that Joss killed the love interest again, but I thought it was pretty much the only way it could go down.
Old July 19 2008, 09:53 PM   #118
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Basically agree with most of the sentiments, but still enjoyed it.

Great cameos from David Fury & Marti Noxon as the newsreaders, and Doug Petrie & Drew Goddard on the Evil League
(they were all writers on Buffy & Angel btw)
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 09:55 PM   #119
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Small White Car wrote: View Post
JNG wrote: View Post

Neil Patrick Harris is a selling point?
Uh...yeah. Where have you been?
I've loved NPH since Harold & Kumar. I've enjoyed Joss Whedon's little side projects like this and the Sugarshock webcomic.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 12:20 AM   #120
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

What a sad ending! But, I felt, very appropriate. As the old adage says, "Be careful what you wish for."

It did crack me up, though, that Bad Horse was a real horse.