A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old July 6 2008, 09:26 PM   #16
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Re: Abrams On 'Star Trek' Reboot

Yeah, sure it would.
Old July 6 2008, 09:28 PM   #17
Pioneer
Captain

MattJC wrote: View Post
Outside of Trek fans, nobody even realizes DS9 exists.
I'm with you on this one. This whole "reboot" thing to "appeal to a general audience" was/is a bad idea for all the reasons you mentioned. Only Star Trek fans and possibly, to a much lesser extent, some Sci-Fi and J.J. Abrams fans are going to see this movie.

It works like this: a Star Trek film should be made for Star Trek fans, period (or "full stop" for all you Brits out there.) Any attempt to make it for a general audience is a waste of time and money. Now, there are either a sufficient number of Star Trek fans left out there for it to make enough money to continue "the franchise" or there aren't. If you alienate the loyal fan base, you're only going to make matters worse, not better. This has already happened with the last few movies.

The only thing that can save Star Trek is for the producers to listen to the already-existing loyal fan base and give them what they have been clamoring for. Otherwise, "the franchise" will shrivel up and die as the loyal fans give up in disgust. I'm afraid this has already happened. And neither J.J. Abrams nor anyone else will be able to save it with some so-called re-boot.

And yes, I'm going to go see this flick regardless of the reviews and fan opinion. Once. But my expectations are low.

I expect rebuttals to my lengthy diatribe. But most minds seem already made up, mine included. So be it.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old July 6 2008, 09:39 PM   #18
Lord Garth

I'm less interested in discussing DS9 (which just killed a bit of a time) or ST XI, than I am wondering about why this article is considered news for the fifth (?) time. Isn't that just beating a dead horse.

This is really trying too hard. What if there ever is a new article but because there are so many twists on so many of the old articles that I confuse the new one for something else and don't bother to read anymore? What if other people started not to either? News is supposed to be News.

Old July 7 2008, 02:14 AM   #19
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Well, in fairness, Trek Today intercept headlines from a bunch of different sources. Different places are asking Abrams the same questions. Now, why TrekToday doesn't bother to filter this stuff is beyond me, but what do I know?
Old July 7 2008, 02:56 AM   #20
James Bond
Rear Admiral

TJinPgh wrote: View Post
James Bond wrote: View Post
Excellent news!
What news?

It's the same pointless drivel we've heard since this project began.

Every movie that has ever been made (let alone every Star Trek film) has been made with the same intent.

This is yet another non-news news story from Abrams and Co.
You're whining about my use of the word "news". My comment was that it was good news when J.J. first stated that it would be a reimagining or what have you, and it's good news now that it's been affirmed once again. My original comment stands.
Old July 7 2008, 04:15 AM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
I'm sorry to say that this is officially the death of Star Trek .
Then it should die.

The movie sounds like it'll probably be entertaining. I'm certainly looking forward to it.
Old July 7 2008, 05:22 PM   #22
T'Cal
Commodore

As with many here, I'm actually going to go see the movie before I form an opinion.
Old July 7 2008, 05:28 PM   #23
T'Cal
Commodore

BTW, I attended the Exhibition on opening day at the San Diego Air & Space Museum, June 21, 2008. It was very cool and well worth the extra money to get into it. Denise and Mike Okuda were on hand to make sure everything was correct and my sons and I got a chance to talk with him. He's such a nice person and so into Trek. My son asked if they had any involvement in STXI and he said that they didn't but spoke very possitively about JJA and his work. If Mike Okuda says to expect good things, then I'm very hopeful.
Old July 7 2008, 08:12 PM   #24
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Nothing new here really. As for it being the death of Trek that corpse has been rotting for several years now. Time to clone and genetically reengineer it.
Old July 8 2008, 05:19 AM   #25
Aragorn
Admiral

T'Cal wrote: View Post
As with many here, I'm actually going to go see the movie before I form an opinion.
Why would you want to do something like that? That's crazy talk! Especially when we have the Stamper of Officiality here to tell us how to think.
Old July 8 2008, 06:12 PM   #26
Augustus
Fleet Captain

I sometimes wonder about Star trek for everyone. Can Star Trek become a brand that people want to see? I don't know if it can happen opening weekend. But if this movie is really good and entertaining, then word of mouth can do it. I think. But so many people would have to rethink what the way they see Star Trek, which CAN happen....will it?
I don't know.
I wish Abrams and his team the best of luck.
Old July 8 2008, 06:43 PM   #27
TJinPgh
Captain

Augustus wrote: View Post
I sometimes wonder about Star trek for everyone. Can Star Trek become a brand that people want to see? I don't know if it can happen opening weekend. But if this movie is really good and entertaining, then word of mouth can do it. I think. But so many people would have to rethink what the way they see Star Trek, which CAN happen....will it?
I don't know.
You've basically touched upon why I think this movie will be a financial failure.

Far too much preconceived baggage among non-fan movie goers.

Far too much money spent on the project.

Far too much competition for the same genre-related money, many from franchises with a far better dollar performance than anything Trek related.

While there may be nothing about this film to keep many Trek fans from going to see it, there's also nothing about this film to make non-Trek fans change their mind.

We are now less than a year away from the release. Less than 6 months away from it's original release date. And there's been ZERO buzz about this film. Zip. Nada.

By the time Christmas comes around, people will already be gearing up for things like Transformers 2 and Wolverine with toys and video games.
Old July 8 2008, 08:12 PM   #28
Augustus
Fleet Captain

TJinPgh wrote: View Post
I don't know.
You've basically touched upon why I think this movie will be a financial failure.

Far too much preconceived baggage among non-fan movie goers.

Far too much money spent on the project.

Far too much competition for the same genre-related money, many from franchises with a far better dollar performance than anything Trek related.

While there may be nothing about this film to keep many Trek fans from going to see it, there's also nothing about this film to make non-Trek fans change their mind.

We are now less than a year away from the release. Less than 6 months away from it's original release date. And there's been ZERO buzz about this film. Zip. Nada.

By the time Christmas comes around, people will already be gearing up for things like Transformers 2 and Wolverine with toys and video games.
Well, while I agree it is a risk, it is not a forgone conclusion that it will fail. I imagine that trailers and marketing, etc will hit early fall or in the next couple of months. By early next year, we'll have a good idea of what kind of buzz this thing has.
Something about it must be exciting to make the big boys change it to a summer release.
I think it is possible for this movie to be a great success, but I am not sure if it is likely and it is far too early to say it isn't going to happen.
Old July 8 2008, 10:46 PM   #29
Aragorn
Admiral

I sometimes wonder about Star trek for everyone.
Hell, Star Trek isn't even for Trekkies. Look how many people just on this board believe there is only one true, narrow-minded vision of Trek and it happens to be theirs.
Old July 9 2008, 03:39 PM   #30
TJinPgh
Captain

Well, while I agree it is a risk, it is not a forgone conclusion that it will fail. I imagine that trailers and marketing, etc will hit early fall or in the next couple of months. By early next year, we'll have a good idea of what kind of buzz this thing has.
Nothing is ever a forgone conclusion when it comes to movies. There are sleeper hits all the time.

Then again, sleeper hits are usually the ones that cost $30m to make and end up earning $150m at the box office, not the other way around.

Buzz for movies this expensive usually starts early and grows.

Something about it must be exciting to make the big boys change it to a summer release.
Necessity.

As I pointed out before, this is not necessarily a show of good faith as everybody seems to think it is.

For a movie to make $150 during the Christmas season, they essentially need to make about $100m of it the opening weekend because there's an abbreviated movie season (about one month, if that). After that, a movie MAY make another $50-100m from New Years to Easter if it lasts that long, as there isn't always much else going on.

As you pointed out, it's not likely to make that much the opening weekend. So, they need to take advantage of the longer movie season.

Movies usually fall into one of two categories over the summer. The blockbusters, and the failures. And there's rarely a whole lot in between.

The blockbusters hang around. They make $100m+ in the first two weekends and continue to simmer long enough to warrant keeping them around.

The failures... well... they don't. And, they're usually on the video shelves by the start of the school year.

For this movie to be a success, it needs to fall into the first category. But, given the competition for sci-fi/fantasy dollars around the same period...

I think it is possible for this movie to be a great success, but I am not sure if it is likely and it is far too early to say it isn't going to happen.
It's never too early to say. It's just to early to declare that you're right