Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old July 3 2008, 10:42 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Kurtzman And Orci On Upcoming Movies

Although still editing Star Trek XI, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci have other irons in the fire.

As reported by Comingsoon.net, Eagle Eye, the first feature film from a new production company set up by Kurtzman and Orci, will release in September. Eagle Eye, an action-thriller about two strangers on the run from the FBI, stars Shia LaBeouf (Transformers) and and Michelle Monaghan (Mission: Impossible III).

Orci spoke about producing Eagle Eye. "This is the first thing we were lucky enough to get to produce under our K/O banner at DreamWorks, so it's our first sort of movie as producers. Steven [Spielberg] just kind of tapped us with, 'Okay, producers, produce this thing. Hire writers, develop a script, use the kernel of the idea that I like and if you're lucky, we'll shoot it when it's perfect.'"

According to Kurtzman, "Steven actually developed the idea like ten years ago. It was something that had been brewing in his mind. The world had not quite caught up to what he had in his head at that point, and I think time took its course, and ultimately, the movie felt very timely now and it felt like the right time to make it. When Steven brought it to us and said 'Here's this idea and what do you guys think?', it was a matter of figuring out how to take that and run with it."

Kurtzman spoke about plans to promote Star Trek XI at the upcoming Comic-Con in San Diego later this month. "We are trying to get our act together here in the last moments," he said. "We're so focused on editing the movie that we've forgotten about promoting it. We're not sure what we're going to release it with. We're trying to figure it out. We're going to be there for 'Fringe' and 'Eagle Eye' and for other things. We're all going to be there, so I'm sure we'll figure out something before we get there.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old July 4 2008, 02:48 AM   #2
Procutus
Admiral

Re: Kurtzman And Orci On Upcoming Movies

Interesting, I had heard that there were no plans for any Star Trek XI stuff at Comicon, which is only weeks away. I'm curious to find out what they come up with at the last moment.
Old July 4 2008, 03:46 AM   #3
ncc74302
Captain

Send a message via AIM to ncc74302 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ncc74302 Send a message via Yahoo to ncc74302

TrekToday wrote: View Post
"We are trying to get our act together here in the last moments," he said. "We're so focused on editing the movie that we've forgotten about promoting it. We're not sure what we're going to release it with. We're trying to figure it out.
Gee that's encouraging. Isn't this the whole problem Trek has had in the past, lack of promotion?

No wonder we havent seen so much as a peep out of them regarding further trailers or clips or tidbits. I personally think that while all the secrecy and stuff is fun, there's a point at which it's getting old and they need to start spilling at least some beans without spoiling all of it for us. Me not knowing anything for this long is going to get me a "okay, I'm way past caring" mood. I could handle it if I knew they were releasing it this Christmas, but considering the movie is a whole 5 months past that... that's not good.
Old July 5 2008, 02:15 AM   #4
Procutus
Admiral

^

I have to agree with everything you said. There reaches a point, I think, where the complete secrecy surrounding this film could work against it to some degree. With the film moved back five months after Christmas, I really think that we need a slightly longer teaser NOW, then a full trailer around January.

Whether that will happen is anyone's guess. But some kind of promotion is in order here, to keep interest alive.
Old July 5 2008, 03:02 AM   #5
Nobody
Blame me, I voted Obama

I wouldn't be to concerned. While Kurtzman and Orci may have been wrapped up in post production, I'm sure the marketing department of Paramount hasn't forgot. There is still 10 months until the release -- we'll get the onslaught of marketing don't fret.

-nobody