New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

View Poll Results: What did you think?
1 - V. Poor shouldnt have made this movie. 4 2.34%
2 - Pretty Poor 7 4.09%
3 - Meh.. okay. definitely worth a download.. 38 22.22%
4 - V. Good. 104 60.82%
5 - Best Stargate ever. 18 10.53%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 1 2008, 07:20 PM   #151
cylkoth
Commodore

Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

^^The one Vala keeps her eyes on....
Old August 1 2008, 07:54 PM   #152
drasche
Captain

cylkoth wrote: View Post
drasche wrote: View Post
* Nice picture in Cam's locker (I'm guessing that in the end, he knows what really happened)
Alternate universe rule No 1(tm) would preclude Mitchell-mark 1 from telling Mitchell-version 2 (the one we've known all along) anything about the gate, or history having once been changed, at least, until after Ba'al's demise.
You're right, as much as I love time travel and alternate universes, I forgot about that aspect.
Old August 1 2008, 08:56 PM   #153
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
There's always the possibility they could have sound another loyal queen, or as long as they are able to keep finding willing hosts, there shouldn't be a reason any more that they would be dying out.
Are there any young symbiotes still being born? They just need to find one that would be willing to live the Tok'ra lifestyle and suddenly they're not dying anymore...or a queen-in-hiding...really the Tok'ra could be revived as a species for future plotlines without any logic issues.
Old August 2 2008, 04:51 AM   #154
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
^^
I gather he wasn't played by the same guy who was in the movie,
That is correct. In the first movie, it was Jaye Davidson. In Continuum, it was Jay Williams.

but was it at least the same actor who was in Moebius?
Yes. Though it wasn't the least bit neccesary to get the same guy, since we never saw his face in Moebius.
Old August 2 2008, 02:53 PM   #155
flux_29
Commodore

Lexa, MS and Browder at Entertainment Weekly:

http://lexafans.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1425

"Victory is mine!" -- Stewie (Family Guy)
Old August 2 2008, 06:24 PM   #156
Harvey
Admiral

Finally saw it last night. It was exactly what I expected: big, dumb, illogical fun.

Yes, the time travel mechanism where people disappeared at different times was incomprehensible and entirely a device of lazy writing.

Yes, it's a great coincidence that O'niell is the one to discover SG-1 in the arctic, and surprising (ridiculous) that they manage to use 80 year old gear to survive the cold, but the arctic long-shots and the submarine coming through the ice were great set pieces (none of which required the cast to be there--stand ins would have done the job, and probably saved money to be spent elsewhere).

And I had a hard time figuring how none of the system lords seemed to know what Earth was nor what value it had, but all still carried the identities of Earth deities.

All the cameos (or supporting roles) from the many, many cast members seen previously on the show were great. And, by my count, O'niell had 25 minutes of screen time (although his early death was badly staged), not 10 minutes. His performance (probably due to the silly writing) in the first scene was a little off, though. I guess when the writers phone it in, RDA can't help but do the same.

Above average. Far, far better than Ark of Truth.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old August 2 2008, 07:28 PM   #157
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

And I had a hard time figuring how none of the system lords seemed to know what Earth was nor what value it had, but all still carried the identities of Earth deities.
My guess is that after the first two gates went offline (the Antarctic gate and Ra's gate) they stopped caring about Earth and started ignoring it. By most accounts, had they been paying attention to Earth, it would have never gotten that advanced.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old August 2 2008, 08:22 PM   #158
DWF
Vice Admiral

Ra's gate was still active thousands of years ago the only thing Baal did was to prevent the creation of the SGC and SG1 the System Lords still had been able to come to earth for many thousands of years before that.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old August 2 2008, 08:30 PM   #159
cylkoth
Commodore

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
My guess is that after the first two gates went offline (the Antarctic gate and Ra's gate) they stopped caring about Earth and started ignoring it. By most accounts, had they been paying attention to Earth, it would have never gotten that advanced.
IIRC the Antarctic gate should've been put there by the Ancients (or were there frozen Jaffa found by Carter and O'Neill when they were trapped there?) , so only the Giza gate was used by the Gouald. As Ba'al said, Earth had largely been forgotten by them, but that line, does stretch things a bit.
Old August 2 2008, 08:43 PM   #160
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

But if you recall from season one's "Solitudes", O'Neill and Carter found a jaffa frozen at the Antarctic gate. If I recall correctly, it was also mentioned somewhere that they were using the Antarctic gate and then lost it, so Ra eventually returned and brought his own gate from somewhere else.

Old August 2 2008, 09:31 PM   #161
cylkoth
Commodore

^^ Thanks..it's been a long while since I've seen that ep. Sci Fi appears to avoid showing the early seasons in the evening slot. I don't recall running across any eps before s4. They're currently in season 8, and I simply can't remember what they were running back in May.
Old August 2 2008, 09:33 PM   #162
James Bond
Rear Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Ra's gate was still active thousands of years ago the only thing Baal did was to prevent the creation of the SGC and SG1 the System Lords still had been able to come to earth for many thousands of years before that.
I think that Baal was keeping the other system lords in check though, so he could have Earth for himself when the time was right.
Old August 2 2008, 10:25 PM   #163
James Bond
Rear Admiral

flux_29 wrote: View Post
Lexa, MS and Browder at Entertainment Weekly:

http://lexafans.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1425
Michael and Ben look like they're baked out of their minds.
Old August 3 2008, 04:58 AM   #164
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

So I got my repeat viewing in, and I do have to say that I liked it more the second time. The first thing I had to do was completely throw out any form of logical time-travel effects that I think about because if I kept getting caught up in that, I would never enjoy it. Second, something occurred to me that also effected some of my initial AoT viewings too: I was expecting too much. For both of those movies, I was going in planning on "Lost City" caliber material, which meant that they could be as good or great as they wanted, but they would have to be down-right phenominal to make me happy. So I had to throw that standard out too. So, once I stopped over thinking the time travel and stop expecting so much, it really was a quality movie. Definately worth a 4. A couple things I got from round two- some observations and some problems.

-I previously mentioned that the ending was weak and a cop out. Well, I was talking to one of my buddies the other day and he made a pretty decent case. Sometimes, the writers get the heros written into such an incredibly impossible corner that they have to settle for the simple solution because any incredible escape could very easily kill the suspension of disbelief. And it made sense. As much as I disliked the ending, how were they supposed to get out of that?

-Some people have complained about a lot of the recent O'Neill behavior, and I definately noticed and agreed this movie. Real-O'Neill was never serious with the exception of when everybody started disappearing. It was literally one smart-assed comment after another. Don't get me wrong, I love O'Neill, and I love his humor, but that was over-kill.

-As much as some people tried accusing the character of Mitchell of being a wanna-be O'Neill, he definately brings his own flavor to everything. There are some lines that I literally can't see anyone else saying- "Carter! That is a terrible plan!" "Daniel, why would you go and do a thing like that?"

-I found it interesting that in both movies, they have to make moral decisions, pick what some might see as the "wrong" answer both times, and they never batted an eye. Sure, AoT had references to "We're not happy that we had to use the device", but they never hesitated to make these calls with sweeping ramifications.

-A minor note on Mitchell going back. Since they had Browder playing one guy back there all ready, they should have had him played by one person in the beginning and then played by Browder at the end. Have our Mitchell replace someone. I can understand two Mitchell's, but we didn't need two Mitchells both protrayed by Ben Browder.

-The writers and directors have put both of these movies together time-wise like they are being filmed for television. They need to stop that. If it's a matter of money limiting them to an hour and 20 or 30 minutes, then they can cut out the location filming. As much as I like those outdoors shots, a bigger story can help things feel epic just as much as big, expensive shots do. We've done two really great movies that were filmed for TV that had huge, beautiful shots, now lets have some great movies that get filmed for DVD that have huge stories.

Last edited by snowman1701; August 3 2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: last point
Old August 3 2008, 08:01 AM   #165
Gatekeeper
Commodore

Well, I purchased the Blu-ray version of "Stargate Continuum," watched it, and came away OK with what I got. Not overly impressed, but not underwhelmed, either.

I thought the movie skimped in places — especially at the end, what with Mitchell arriving in 1929 and having 10 years to twiddle his thumbs, none of which was shown — but was pleased to see cameos by so many characters, such as the system lords. I also liked Ba'al, the battle around the time machine and, of course, seeing the alternate Earth get bombed from space. All were good scenes.

As others have said, the movie was nothing original. Various Stargate episodes have dealt with time travel and parallel timelines (hell, SG-A just did one in its newest episode), to varying degrees of entertainment. So that's kind of a big strike against "Continuum." It would have been interesting to see how Ba'al's "velvet glove" treatment of the Tauri would have paid off for the Go'auld. It's a shame we'll never get to see it, unless we see the alternate reality of an alternate reality at some point.

The Blu-ray version definitely was crisp, but I'm sure there were scenes and stock footage in the movie that weren't in 1080p.

Gatekeeper