The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

Old June 18 2008, 08:25 PM   #1
RoJoHen
Awesome

How often does it get moved?

Obviously, Ben knows how to move the island. Has he done it before? How many times has it been moved? And how far does it move?
Old June 18 2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: How often does it get moved?

I don't think Ben has done it before, or else he wouldn't have been able to stay on the island. Even if it is possible to get back to it after moving it, Ben doesn't seem to think so, meaning he has never done it before. I think that he watched someone else do it, perhaps Widmore.
—T.S. Eliot
Old June 18 2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It can move as far into the future or the past as Ben wants it. Depends on how much he turns the Frozen Donkey Wheel.

You want to know something bizarre, I had a Lost dream last night. The island had travelled to heaven! But nobody on the island realized it.
Old June 19 2008, 07:25 PM   #4
biotech
Vice Admiral

How often?

If I was to guess, at least three times before.

If we assume my guess was right before, and that the polar bears were trained to turn the wheel so no people get left behind, then we know it moved once before to drop that bear in Tunisia, this could have been the same event that moved the island under the black rock sailing ship, stranding it in the middle of the jungle.

The island could still have been there, somewhere near africa when Yemi's drug plane crashed there, but I have to assume it was closer to america when Henry Gale's balloon crashed there, or at least somewhere near the equator. Call that a second move.

It could be that when Desmond didnt enter the numbers, and a magnetic pulse was initiated, that it did more than just break up flight 815, it could be that the whole island moved under the plane, causing it to blow up, and giving it somewhere to land, thats three.

Its possible the failsafe incident was another move, which would make four, and Ben's move a fifth.

I also believe that the island is not rooted to the ocean floor, but actually sits on a massive iceberg, and some unknown mechanism keeps it frozen, so the island can move to any part of the earth's ocean where the sea is deep enough for the 9/10ths of the island thats under the water to settle without touching bottom.
Old June 21 2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Morpheus 02
Commodore

biotech wrote: View Post
How often?

If I was to guess, at least three times before.

If we assume my guess was right before, and that the polar bears were trained to turn the wheel so no people get left behind, then we know it moved once before to drop that bear in Tunisia, this could have been the same event that moved the island under the black rock sailing ship, stranding it in the middle of the jungle.

The island could still have been there, somewhere near africa when Yemi's drug plane crashed there, but I have to assume it was closer to america when Henry Gale's balloon crashed there, or at least somewhere near the equator. Call that a second move.

It could be that when Desmond didnt enter the numbers, and a magnetic pulse was initiated, that it did more than just break up flight 815, it could be that the whole island moved under the plane, causing it to blow up, and giving it somewhere to land, thats three.

Its possible the failsafe incident was another move, which would make four, and Ben's move a fifth.

I also believe that the island is not rooted to the ocean floor, but actually sits on a massive iceberg, and some unknown mechanism keeps it frozen, so the island can move to any part of the earth's ocean where the sea is deep enough for the 9/10ths of the island thats under the water to settle without touching bottom.
intereting theory...but what about the Dharma food drops every 6 months or so? The Island couldn't have been moved since Dharma starting dropping food.
Old June 21 2008, 07:58 AM   #6
biotech
Vice Admiral

You are assuming the food is dropped from off the island, and not from a different part of the same island.
Old June 22 2008, 01:38 AM   #7
Luke Lightsaber
Captain

I wonder if the incident they refer to was the island moving for the first time?
Old June 22 2008, 05:51 AM   #8
Evil Headhunter
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Headhunter Send a message via AIM to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Headhunter

Hmmm...that would make sense considering Candle/Wickman/Halliwax was the first person to mention "The Incident" and he seems to have a "strong" (relatively speaking) background in the workings of The Island.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Old June 26 2008, 11:45 PM   #9
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

In one of the podcasts Lindelof hinted that the incident was that Dharma was drilling into the island during an experiment and they drilled right into the electromagnetic anomaly which is why the bottom part of the Swan was covered in concrete. The button kind of releaved the pressure I guess. I doubt they'll ever explain exactly what the incident was on the show until near the end of the final season. If at all.
Old June 27 2008, 01:36 AM   #10
Mallet
Fleet Captain

I'm not sure about the other times people have mentioned, but I imagine that it was moved after the "Hostiles" took over and killed off all of the Dharma people.

Why? Well Widmore obviously had/has strong ties to Dharma he knew about the experiments they were conducting, he knew about the Orchid station and where to find it, etc... so it's a good assumption that he knew where the island was as well and may have even visited it a few times.

After the take over by the "Hostiles" they would have had to move the island to keep Dharma from coming back and reclaiming it.

Also, this would be why Widmore told Ben that "Everything" Ben "had he took from him [Widmore]."

Widmore use to "own" the island and then Ben "stole" it by taking over and moving it where Widmore couldn't find it (at least until now).

As to who moved it last time, well in "Cabin Fever" Ben says that it was the leader before him that ordered the killing of the Dharma people and maybe it was this leader who also moved the island, leaving Ben in charge after he left.

It is basically what has just happened in the series, Ben "passed" the leadership of the island on to Locke then moved the island to protect it.
Old June 27 2008, 01:41 AM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Remember that little incident where Sayid noticed on the boat it was the "wrong day"?

The island has moved in time at least once since Flight 815 crashed. Time isn't moving faster or more slowly - the time jump(s) is the explanation.
Old June 27 2008, 06:03 AM   #12
Luke Lightsaber
Captain

And what about the whole Penny/Desmond calling her at Christmas time, and the meeting with Faraday?
Old July 1 2008, 08:01 AM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Luke Lightsaber wrote: View Post
And what about the whole Penny/Desmond calling her at Christmas time, and the meeting with Faraday?
That was Desmond doing some bopping around in time. He changed reality so that the past includes a meeting with Faraday whereas it didn't before.

I was thinking more of just the island going into "statis" because of a time jump (when the hatch blew?) - or maybe I mean the reverse, the island jumped forward in time a little bit, and is ahead of where it should be.

I forget, did Sayid notice the date was too far in the future or in the past?
Old July 2 2008, 09:01 PM   #14
propita
Rear Admiral

Like people have posted, the Island doesn't move in space, it moves in time.

When Desmond bounced around in time, he bounced to where he was at the time to which he bounced. The Island didn't go to London because it was never in London; Desmond was in London on that day, so when he bounced to that day, he went to the same place. The Island is still there but in a different time.

What I want to know is, when Desmond bounced to his past, what happened to past-Desmond? Was he there? Not there? Why doesn't Desmond remember if this was in his past and he's already experienced it?
Old July 3 2008, 01:51 AM   #15
Mallet
Fleet Captain

propita wrote: View Post
What I want to know is, when Desmond bounced to his past, what happened to past-Desmond? Was he there? Not there? Why doesn't Desmond remember if this was in his past and he's already experienced it?
Yah, that is an issue they will (or at least should) address. Especially since they said they were going to do it without paradoxes (I wish them good luck with that).

The other things is why didn't Faraday remember Desmond, he had to open his book and see his notes before he remembered him, and I highly doubt he would forget (under normal circumstances) the guy who leaped through time and gave him the answer to his time travel problem.