Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 19 2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Captain Ryan
Captain

What to read??

I have never read any of the star trek books, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
Captain Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 04:00 AM   #2
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Re: What to read??

The field is pretty wide; what do you like in terms of the shows/characters, and what do you look for in terms of fiction (action, humour, cultural exploration, character study, etc.)?

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old July 19 2008, 04:05 AM   #3
Captain Ryan
Captain

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
The field is pretty wide; what do you like in terms of the shows/characters, and what do you look for in terms of fiction (action, humour, cultural exploration, character study, etc.)?

Well, my favorite series is Voyager. I really like how they are fighting to get back to the delta quadrent. I also like the Enterprise and next generation. For culture I find the Borg very interesting, as well as the humans (star fleet, earth, and the federation).
Captain Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 04:37 AM   #4
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Captain Ryan wrote: View Post
Well, my favorite series is Voyager. I really like how they are fighting to get back to the delta quadrent. I also like the Enterprise and next generation. For culture I find the Borg very interesting, as well as the humans (star fleet, earth, and the federation).
For Voyager, I recommend the String Theory trilogy: Cohesion by Jeffrey Lang, Fusion by Kirsten Beyer, and Evolution by Heather Jarman. It takes place between the end of the fourth and the beginning of the fifth season. If you want to see what happens to them after they get home, check out Homecoming, The Farther Shore, Old Wounds, and Enemy of My Enemy, all by Christie Golden. For more Delta Quadrant adventures, check out the short-story anthology Distant Shores, edited by Marco Palmieri.

For the Borg, I strongly recommend Resistance by J.M. Dillard, Before Dishonor by Peter David, and the about-to-be-released Greater than the Sum by Christopher L. Bennett, all TNG books. (I also recommend Q & A by me, Keith R.A. DeCandido, which doesn't have the Borg in it, but does take place between Resistance and Before Dishonor).

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 04:44 AM   #5
Captain Ryan
Captain

KRAD wrote: View Post
For Voyager, I recommend the String Theory trilogy: Cohesion by Jeffrey Lang, Fusion by Kirsten Beyer, and Evolution by Heather Jarman. It takes place between the end of the fourth and the beginning of the fifth season. If you want to see what happens to them after they get home, check out Homecoming, The Farther Shore, Old Wounds, and Enemy of My Enemy, all by Christie Golden. For more Delta Quadrant adventures, check out the short-story anthology Distant Shores, edited by Marco Palmieri.

For the Borg, I strongly recommend Resistance by J.M. Dillard, Before Dishonor by Peter David, and the about-to-be-released Greater than the Sum by Christopher L. Bennett, all TNG books. (I also recommend Q & A by me, Keith R.A. DeCandido, which doesn't have the Borg in it, but does take place between Resistance and Before Dishonor).
Thanks, I will definatly check those out!
Old July 19 2008, 04:59 AM   #6
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

One thing worth mentioning - the TNG novels that KRAD recommended take place after Nemesis, and start several new, long-term plots, so they don't stand alone. If you want to read all of them, it's worth going in chronological order so that all makes sense. That order would be:

Resistance
Q&A
Before Dishonor
Greater Than The Sum

There's also a book, Death In Winter, that takes place before Resistance but after Nemesis that has to do with the Romulan situation after the film ends, but many of the plots brought up in that book are resolved in another series entirely (Star Trek: Titan, the story of Riker's ship after Nemesis) so you may want to avoid that novel. Just know that it's there, so that when Resistance references it you aren't confused.

Aside from that, just read what KRAD wrote
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 04:28 PM   #7
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

If you're a big Voyager fan, pick up Fire Ship (part of the Captain's Table). That was one of my most enjoyable reads.
Old July 19 2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

^ Opinions on that one are divided. Likewise, if you like Voyager, I disrecommend the post-series books that have been published so far. If you can find it, Echoes (15 in the numbered Voyager novels) by Kristine Kathryn Rush, Dean Wesley Smith and Nina Kiriki Hoffman is an all-time classic. Mosaic and Pathways by series co-creator Jeri Ryan provide backgrounds for all the characters (the first Janeway, the second the rest of the crew), and also tells you more about Federation society outside of Starfleet. Speaking of which, once you've read the books KRAD suggest, I would suggest tackling Articles of the Federation, an epic novel about the first year in office of a new Federation president which adds a lot to our understanding of civilian life in the 24th century.

Old July 19 2008, 08:01 PM   #9
captcalhoun
Admiral

that was Jeri Taylor, not Ryan. please turn in your Trekkie badge and leave the site.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 08:09 PM   #10
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Dammit; I always make that mistake. Too many Jeris. Gonna just start calling them 'big Jeri' and 'little Jeri'.

Old July 19 2008, 08:24 PM   #11
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

There's a ton of great stuff. I'll recommend the Titan novel Orion's Hounds. If you love Voyager, this novel exemplifies everything Voyager could have been and more. Plus, it speaks to the core spirit of Trek (exploration) and has such an amazing scope... man, I can't say enough good things about it. Trust me. It's worth every penny.
Old July 19 2008, 08:26 PM   #12
Captain Ryan
Captain

soo many books so little time! thank you all for the suggestions, now what to choose...
Old July 19 2008, 09:46 PM   #13
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

soo many books so little time! thank you all for the suggestions, now what to choose...
Everything written since 2000 is a good place to start, just speak to your bank manager first.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 01:21 AM   #14
Captain Ryan
Captain

Xeris wrote: View Post
Everything written since 2000 is a good place to start, just speak to your bank manager first.
Loan approved! I just need a cosigner, anybody willing?
Old July 20 2008, 02:39 AM   #15
Ktrek
Captain

Ryan,

In my opinion you should start with where your interest lies and since your favorite series is Voyager then I think Pathways and Mosaic are the place to begin. Everyone has differing opinions about the Voyager relaunch books but I didn't think they were too bad. If you are curious as to what happened after the series ended those might be very fun and quick reads for you. Also the three volume String Theory is a series that I think almost everyone has enjoyed and lavished praise on. Anyway, welcome to the world of Star Trek books and I hope that as you get your feet wet it will whet your appetite for more. There are some really great stories that have been written and some have been more enjoyable to read than then shows were to watch, if that is possible. Good luck!

Kevin