Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 15 17.24%
Above Average 36 41.38%
Average 24 27.59%
Below Average 8 9.20%
Poor 4 4.60%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 8 2008, 12:33 AM   #76
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Re: Hancock - Grading & Discussion

TG Theodore wrote: View Post
An interesting but not great movie. Very odd structure. The twist happens about ten minutes too soon and the X-Files writers' influence of "less exposition=better product" is definitely there. But in this case weakens the storyline.

Act Three got pretty disjointed for awhile and the whole thing about proximity was very inconsistent. Likewise, the origin explanation was pretty shaky and unsatisfying.
I quoted this because it pretty much sums up my opinion of the film pretty well.

Average - not great, but not bad.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2008, 12:41 AM   #77
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Supervisor 194 wrote: View Post
StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
I bet two hundred quatloos Hancock will have more business than Superman Returns.
Sure, it'll do more business that SR--but Hancock isn't even a patch on that film as far as quality is concerned. Hancock's jarring tonal shifts, under-developed characters, and frankly stupid 'twist' are more suited to a direct-to-video project than to a feature film.
As if Singer sucking the cock of Donner wasn't bad enough, but people think S:R is actually a quality film?
Let me ask you this: if Hancock starred an unknown rather than the most bankable star in Hollywood at the moment, do you really think the numbers would be the same?
No it wouldn't, but the numbers would be far better than S:R, that's for sure. S:R was supposed to blow off everything in its path, instead it was a massive embarrassment for every good fan of Superman.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2008, 06:52 AM   #78
TGTheodore
Writer

BenRoethig wrote: View Post
If you're talking about a typical super hero origin story, you'd be correct. However this isn't as much as super hero story than it is about people finding their way in a super hero setting. If they would have laid all the cards out on the table at the beginning, it wouldn't have been as interesting as it was.
I'm talking about ANY story. You can do more backstory and still be creative and unpredictable.

And this film especially missed that golden opportunity and, for me, took the lazy way out.

--Ted
Old July 8 2008, 11:32 AM   #79
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Here's a question... the main theme, with all the brass, heard during the part where Hancock picks up the car while rescuing the police offer... that's not actually on the soundtrack?

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2008, 10:19 AM   #80
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

I saw it last night and was very underwhelmed by it. I thought there was a terrible mess, the story tried to go in several opposite directions. Saw it in French so I couldn't tell about the halfway cuts in dialogs...
It started well, though.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2008, 10:42 AM   #81
kalysto
Captain

I really enjoyed this. Yes, I'm a complete Will Smith fangirl, but it kept me laughing and entertained the whole time, which in the end is what it's all about!
kalysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2008, 10:51 PM   #82
M
Vice Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
Saw it this afternoon. Basically I share my sentiments with OdoWanKenobi, first half was good, second half not so much

But even then as I was watching the first half I felt like asking myself "have I seen this film before", as pretty much ALL the funny scenes in the first half were in the trailers that thanks to Hulk, Iron Man, Indy Jones etc I've seen about a million times now.
The whale, the train, the freeway, the head-in-ass, the French girl, etc, all of that I'd already seen in a sense in the trailers.

The second half I just didn't like, felt like it lost the plot and was meandering around for the last 45 mins. And the whole relationship between Hancock and the Theron character didn't really make any sense, or maybe I missed something-
Said that if they stayed together they'd lose their powers and stop being immortal, five minutes later they say the two of them were together for over 2000 years!

Thinking back it was pretty gash, definitely won't be buying the DVD
Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
I thought it was really good, up until the "twist" with the wife. At that point, the whole thing goes off the rails, is completely out of left field, and isn't properly explained... it's all just sort of mumbled out.

in fact, they could have left the entire thing with the wife out, and the plot would kind of have been the same. It almost feels like.... the writer wrote out their movie, their story arc for Hancock... got to the part where he wins the adoration of the city... wrote the last scene with the heart logo on the moon... then realized he was 45 minutes short and inserted the whole strange backstory with the wife.

Interesting movie, pretty good, and gets credit for trying "something", but falls short of greatness.
I pretty much agree with the sentiments expressed in these quotes. I thought it was just average. The first half was excellent, but the whole Theron-as-Superheroine stuff was just half-baked and didn't quite make sense. I wish they'd have left that out.

Did anyone notice that when Hanckock and Theron's character where fighting in the streets there was some kind of cyborg walking over the cars? What was that about?

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Saw it in German, and must say the Germans do the dubins very well.
Dankeschön.

BTW, why did you watch the German version?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2008, 11:58 PM   #83
M
Vice Admiral

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Did anyone notice that when Hanckock and Theron's character where fighting in the streets there was some kind of cyborg walking over the cars? What was that about?
Ah, okay. A little googling solved the mystery.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2008, 09:32 PM   #84
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Looks like the movie is still going strong. It made $33 million this past weekend for a box office total of $165 million so far. I didn't think it would hit $200 million, but it looks like it will.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2008, 09:46 PM   #85
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I never doubted $200m but some had it as a $300m contender and not even with Will Smith did I see that. I think Ent.Weekly had a $275m guess on this film and it will not do that, $250m is going to be its ceiling as of now and that might come down some after the force of TDK is measured.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 08:15 AM   #86
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

I just saw this Movie today. Wow what a dissapointment.

It started out good, but the "heroic bum" stuff could have definitely been expanded a lot more. The part with superCharlize was just weird, and stretched believability. The thing that annoyed me the most is that she also has all these superpowers, and yet she never lifts a finger to help anyone (all the time while watching the news and feeling guilt about it) and tells Hancock that he's the one meant to be a hero. Yeah ok.

It would have been much better if the movie would have had a supervillain instead, and make something else his weakness.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually liked Superman Returns more than this movie.
Old July 18 2008, 01:30 PM   #87
Demiurge
Vice Admiral

I read the original script was a lot more dark, and they altered the second half of the movie. No big surprise there, the tone and character of the movie completely change at the midpoint.

I think I would have liked a deeper treatment of Hancock in his 'asshole' stage. They could have left his origins to a sequel.

That being said, I thought it was a fun movie that didn't take itself too seriously, had great SFX, and all in all was worth my $10 and two hours.

The only real complaint I had was the fact that Hancock had been around sans memory for the last 80 years. It didn't explain at all how he had kept under the radar for eight decades, or why he decided to become a superhero in the current time frame.

And of course I would expect a bit more depth of character to an 80 year old, let alone an immortal.

But still, it was what it was, and that was a fun ride.
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 06:26 PM   #88
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Well.. saw it and a big, resounding "meh" from me.

I totally adore Will Smith but this movie isn't one of his best. The trailers really have shown the best parts of the movie and the movie itself seemingly couldn't decide what its focus was.

I was spoiled about the plot twist but even if not i doubt it would have made the movie for me. Even after it the movie didn't become that more interesting so it won't enter my Smith collection for quite some time.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 03:27 AM   #89
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
For those who are claiming the Second and Third Acts of Hancock are where the movie goes off the rails - what do you think should have been done with the promising First Act? Hancock is introduced. He's drunk, smelly and obnoxious, which is funny for fifteen minuntes or so. He is convinced (incredibly quickly - if you found the developments of the Second and Third Acts abrupt, please be consistent and note that Hancock is very easily swayed by Ray) to try to become a responsible citizen. He goes to jail where he appears to learn a little about paying one's dues. He is called to action by the Chief of Police and acquits himself well as a hero. And then...

??
I thought the movie should have happened right where you've pointed. WHY was he a screw-up? and why would he change his mind?

and after going to jail, why would he come out to save people?

I see him being a little more "If I'm going to come out of jail to help you people, then I'm going to be who I am - either you leave me in jail or you set me *free*."

I think there's a much more interesting movie in either watching him be convinced there's a better way OR in watching him prove that having powers doesn't make him the person people want him to be.

Looking back, the movie told a bunch of *what* happened, without much *why* or *how*. What is easier, but not as substantial.

It was entertaining and different, but Charlize's story seemed convoluted, foreshadowed in some obvious ways and not in some other ways (they meet several times, talk, fight and then he's lost his powers during a robbery the next day? but falling out of the hospital saves them?)

Like so many have said, good, but frustratingly not great.
Old July 28 2008, 02:47 PM   #90
Yassim
Fleet Captain

For anyone interested, here's a link to the script for "Tonight, he comes", the original screenplay Hancock is based on:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/image...08/tonight.pdf