The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 24 2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Mutara Nebula 1967
Captain

Has it been established anywhere in STAR WARS canon that

...the Stormtroopers scene in the orginal three movies are a mixture of clones and normal non clone Imperial citizens or are they all clones as well?

"Looks like the good folks of Island Town are roundin' up a possy and I bet Jack leads the charge in a big white hat."
Mutara Nebula 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2008, 05:18 PM   #2
blaXXer
Fleet Captain

Re: Has it been established anywhere in STAR WARS canon that

Yep, they are a mixture of several clone templates (apart from Jango Fett) and non-clone recruits. You may want to check the wookiepedia on that issue, it has all relevant sources neatly listed.
Old December 24 2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Hicks
Captain

Considering how in the OT all of the Stormtroopers sounded the same, they probably should have said they were still all clones, just of someone other than Jango.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2008, 06:12 PM   #4
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Hicks wrote: View Post
Considering how in the OT all of the Stormtroopers sounded the same, they probably should have said they were still all clones, just of someone other than Jango.
I didn't think they sounded all alike.

In any case, even in the Special Editions, they weren't dubbed over with Temuera Morrison's voice (unlike Boba) so it seems that the ones in the OT - the ones that spoke, anyway - aren't Jango clones.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Well I'm not sure if this counts but after the mission in battlefront 2 where the 501st puts down a clone rebellion on Kamino the narrator says the Empire began using more clone templates believing that by not using only one template it that another clone rebellion wouldn't occur.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Plomeek Broth
Captain

What was the selling point of becoming a Stormtrooper? You could fight for evil? Great medical benefits?
Plomeek Broth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

Black Lodge wrote: View Post
What was the selling point of becoming a Stormtrooper? You could fight for evil? Great medical benefits?
that would be to go to great new places meet new people and kill them.... just like the us marine corp... then theirs always the ability to get away from your current stinking situation.
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2008, 07:23 PM   #8
captcalhoun
Admiral

depends how you define 'canon'.

Lucas canon (IE the movies and the new 'toon.): No, not yet.

EU-canon: yup. Republic Commando: Order 66 deals in part with non-Kamino produced Fett clones and mentions non-Fett clones, whilst the 2nd thru 4th RC novels make mention of 'mongrels' serving as officers aboard fleet ships.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2008, 07:28 PM   #9
Morfius
Lieutenant Commander

Black Lodge wrote: View Post
Throughout history people have volunteered to be Nazi Stormtroopers, soviet soldiers, DEA agents and even Al-Queeda Suicide pilots.
All the people believe that their service will make the world a better place.
Morfius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2008, 08:42 PM   #10
blaXXer
Fleet Captain

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Hicks wrote: View Post
I didn't think they sounded all alike.

In any case, even in the Special Editions, they weren't dubbed over with Temuera Morrison's voice (unlike Boba) so it seems that the ones in the OT - the ones that spoke, anyway - aren't Jango clones.
Well in the OT, most of the Stormtroopers seen would have been members of the 501st or "Vader's Fist", they were still mostly clones.
Old December 24 2008, 09:34 PM   #11
nx1701g
Admiral

Wookiepedia: Star Wars Canon Explained
Old December 25 2008, 02:13 AM   #12
T'Baio
Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Thank you for that. I've now found my new favourite quote;

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

The bolding, obviously, is mine. That's so awesome.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2008, 02:26 AM   #13
blaXXer
Fleet Captain

T'Baio wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
Thank you for that. I've now found my new favourite quote;

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

The bolding, obviously, is mine. That's so awesome.
Pff, you'Ve been missing out on much. The EU, that is, especially the comics (read: Legacy und KOTOR) are full of awesome, right now.

Funny thing, same year, same man, different opinion:

Lucas: "But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books. But there's three worlds: There's my world that I made up, there's the licensing world that's the books, the comics, all that kind of stuff, the games, which is their world, and then there's the fans' world, which is also very rich in imagination, but they don't always mesh. All I'm in charge of is my world. I can't be in charge of those other people's world, because I can't keep up with it."
Old December 25 2008, 12:01 PM   #14
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Never mind that it's revisionism on Lucas' part because he said for YEARS he had a "trilogy of trilogies" to tell.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2008, 02:59 PM   #15
Tulin
Vice Admiral

^ Indeed.

Go read old Starlogs and he constantly references the three trilogies. I have given up on the man. While I have no love for the EU, it makes me laugh that he basically shits on it whilst putting his hand out for the licensing and royalty fees.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote