Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 13 2008, 08:39 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Moore On Escaping 'The Box'

Gene Roddenberry's vision of an evolved humanity made for good people, but for bad drama and caused the writers no end of grief.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, Ron Moore, who joined Star Trek: The Next Generation in the third season, he helped to change the tone of the show by adding conflict and real emotions, finding ways to get around what was termed the "Roddenberry box" of rules that made people a bit too perfect and made it harder to write an interesting story.

"I think there was a general consensus in the writers room in every season that we always chaffed at the notion that there were no petty jealousies and greed and all that," said Moore. "We railed against that on a daily basis, found ways to get around that, found ways to get through it with varying degrees of success. It was a constant problem that we just sort of gnashed our teeth about. It never made any logical sense or any dramatic sense."

Furthermore, it was not something that had been in effect during the run of the original series. "I was always saying 'the Original Series was never like this, the Original Series has plenty of problems with humanity, plenty of with jealousies and bickering and even racial prejudices are alive in the 23rd century,'" said Moore. "In 'Balance of Terror', Stiles is overtly prejudiced against Spock just because he is Vulcan. And that isn’t the only instance of that. It made for drama and it made for conflict. It made the world work."

According to Moore, Roddenberry became a visionary in place of being a writer. "He started to believe the stuff that he was creating a utopian future and wanted 'The Next Generation' universe to be reflective of the utopian universe that so many people had told him he had been creating for all these years," said Moore. "So it started to become less about the drama, less about making a television show, and more about servicing this idea of what utopianism was going to be and how perfect humanity was going to be in the future as an example of how to live our lives by, as opposed to making a great television series."

But by the time of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, the writers were able to bend and work around the limitations. "We were all in league together," Moore explained. "Ira was a big proponent of throwing the box out the door, but he knew we couldn’t really throw the box out the door. We could only go so far and find creative ways around it. We couldn’t save the Star Trek universe by destroying it. We had to keep things in place because they were the fundamentals that Gene had built in. And so we just found ways around them whenever possible."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old June 13 2008, 08:59 PM   #2
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Re: Moore On Escaping 'The Box'

I doubt this clown will be happy until Star Trek is as dark and depressing as the new BSG is.
Old June 13 2008, 09:06 PM   #3
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Ron Moore is kinda like the David Gerrold of TNG. He got a shot at a spec script and then went on to write some of Modern Trek's finest moments.

While I think his head may have been profoundly expanded since his TNG days, his opinions about GR are spot on, and in line with some of Trek's other great scribes.
Old June 13 2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

MattJC wrote: View Post
I doubt this clown will be happy until Star Trek is as dark and depressing as the new BSG is.
I could live with that.
Old June 13 2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

I doubt it. He seems to have wanted the Star Trek he worked on to be closer to TOS than it was. It doesn't seem to me he wanted Trek as dark as BSG. Roddenberry got too caught up in his visionary status that he seemed quite embarrassed about how human his characters were in TOS.
Old June 13 2008, 10:17 PM   #6
MattJC
Fleet Captain

In that interview he complains about the fact that was established in "Balance of Terror" the Romulans looks like Vulcans. He said there is probably a better to tell the Romulan story then that.
It's those kinds of arrogant remarks which make me dislike the notion of remakes in general.
Old June 13 2008, 10:30 PM   #7
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

He said there is probably a better to tell the Romulan story then that.
It's those kinds of arrogant remarks which make me dislike the notion of remakes in general.
Yes. How dare someone think they have a good idea for a story. They should all learn that other people always have better story ideas than they do.

Now go tell that ex-cop to take his stupid spaceship show and shove it, because there's no way he could do it better than '50 sci-fi movies.
Old June 13 2008, 10:38 PM   #8
MattJC
Fleet Captain

That ex-cop wasn't remaking a previous TV show like Lost in Space now was he?
Old June 13 2008, 10:43 PM   #9
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

^And that changes that both are examples of "Hey, I enjoy X, maybe I can make an even better version of it" how? Star Trek was quite heavily inspired by Forbidden Planet, among others. How much of a vacuum does the development of a project have to have been not to count?
Old June 13 2008, 10:47 PM   #10
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Star Trek was not a remake.
Old June 13 2008, 10:54 PM   #11
MattJC
Fleet Captain

If Moore has an idea for story, then he should start completely from scratch.
New title. New characters. New setting. Then he go nuts with his own creation if he so desired, instead of slapping the Star Trek label on it and then changing the things which makes Star Trek, Star Trek.
Old June 13 2008, 10:55 PM   #12
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Star Trek was not a remake.
Again, how the heck does that change that somebody looked at a set of ideas that they liked, then said "hey, I think I can do that a little bit better?" Because if that's your major objection to remakes and why you think RDM is arrogant and a clown, then all writers who got inspired by another work are arrogant too. Otherwise, you're just trying to shore up your own anti-Trek XI bias with inconsistent nonsense.
Old June 13 2008, 11:42 PM   #13
Rhaenys
Lieutenant Commander

I really don't agree with him. TNG was great. And maybe it would be better if they made a little more drama and conflict. But just a little. DS9 had too much of it.

And now he's saying that Star Trek has too much continuity, and I don't agree with that either. I think that would be a problem for him, but a better writer could write much more Star Trek stories and keep that continuity.
Canon could be a problem if you are writing a prequel, but noth with sequels.
Old June 14 2008, 01:54 AM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

God forbid Star Trek should ever be good enough to win a Peabody Award.
Old June 14 2008, 02:22 AM   #15
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

I was and still am a huge of DS9 because it made the Star Trek universe more realisitic while at the same time not making humans like 20th century apes.