Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 30 2008, 03:18 PM   #1
rmkwebdesign
Commander

How to start my wife on Trek?

Not being sure which forum to post this (whether TOS or Movies), I'll start it here.

I'm recently married and want to introduce Star Trek to my new bride. She knows I love it, but has never seen any movies or episodes. So, where do suggest I start her?

I'd like to start with either TOS episodes or movies. My quesdtion, I guess, is should I start with some episodes and then a few movies? Or start with TMP? Maybe Space Seed followed by TWOK? The Cage, Where No Man, and...

Any suggestions?
rmkwebdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Re: How to start my wife on Trek?

My suggestion to you is to think about what movies and shows she likes best and tailor her Trek experience accordingly. Trek IV is good for newbies. It's fun and light-hearted.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2008, 06:22 PM   #3
cardinal biggles
Danny Donkey hates you

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Yes, but Trek IV also makes a bit more sense if you've seen II and III first. It certainly explains why they're on a crapped-out Bird of Prey instead of the Enterprise, Spock acting slightly off-kilter, and why everyone except Scotty and Uhura are in their civvies.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Smiley
Rear Admiral

I'd start off with a classic first season episode like "Balance of Terror" or "Space Seed." The movies have a different look and feel, and I think it's easier to start with the series and upgrade the visual quality than going the other way.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2008, 07:56 PM   #5
maryh
Commander

I tried to interest my kids in ST (later incarnations) for years, and they just wouldn't bite. Then they put the TOS episodes on the internet and I started watching them. It is almost like it was years ago for me. At first my kids would just glance up at my computer screen. Then they did it more and started asking questions. Now they watch them on their own. There just is something about TOS that pulls you in.
maryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2008, 08:35 PM   #6
Wonderlust King
Captain

Send a message via AIM to Wonderlust King

Trek IV got me started on trek, and its how i've gotten several girlfriends started. It gets them to know and love the characters with out getting right into the space/science fictiony kind of stuff they may be repelled by.
Old May 30 2008, 08:40 PM   #7
RobertScorpio
Pariah

rmkwebdesign wrote: View Post
Not being sure which forum to post this (whether TOS or Movies), I'll start it here.

I'm recently married and want to introduce Star Trek to my new bride. She knows I love it, but has never seen any movies or episodes. So, where do suggest I start her?

I'd like to start with either TOS episodes or movies. My quesdtion, I guess, is should I start with some episodes and then a few movies? Or start with TMP? Maybe Space Seed followed by TWOK? The Cage, Where No Man, and...

Any suggestions?
Dude..listen to me...I just went through this 7 years ago, and now my wife loves Star trek..

Find the episode HIS WAY. This is the DS9 episode where Odo and Kira finally find their love for each other. Give her a quick five minute on who they are and what motivated them and then let her watch that episode...they love that romance stuff, and when they finally kiss at the end, your wife will be so happy...TRUST ME...it works..

Rob
scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2008, 12:30 AM   #8
Fedaykin
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to Fedaykin

My wife and I met in a Star Trek fan club, so I have it easy. She even calls her mom moogie for crying out loud.

DS9 has lots of 'cute' stand alones, but I would recommend 'In Theory', it's a fun Data episode that gives you some nice character moments. TOS is not as accessible to women folk, for some reason. I agree with the poster above who said STIV, anyone can get behind that. Fish out of water story, nice moments throughout.
"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?"-John Lennon
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2008, 06:25 PM   #9
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

All right, after further review, this thread is off to Gen. Trek! You'll probably get more ideas.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2008, 09:24 PM   #10
SpockWeed
Fleet Captain

If she's a Sex In The City fan, just tell her Samantha is really a Vulcan. Got my wife to bite.

Kim Cattrall

Valeris

Last edited by StolenThunder; June 3 2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Please don't hotlink.
SpockWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2008, 09:30 PM   #11
Danoz
Rear Admiral

The Inner Light.

Trust me, works every time. When she loves it, put in "tapestry", and then show her a couple light-hearted Data episodes. After that, play Chain of Command. If she likes CoC, hook line sinker.
Old June 1 2008, 11:10 PM   #12
Rabittooth
Commander

Only one thing to say here:
DEEP SPACE NINE
Sucked my wife right in. She's a HUGE trek fan now. TOS, TNG, Voyager...she can't get enough of it now. She even bought all 4 seasons of Enterprise and we're both getting set to watch that whole series for the 1st time (for both of us actually). It's completely awesome. She was a mild TOS fan when I met her because of her older brother, but now...we got her...new full blown Trek fan.
Just get the entire series of DS9 and start at the beginning.
Tell her it's a soap opera in space!
We're currently at the end of Season 7 of DS9...it's s second viewing of the whole series for both of us. ENT is next.
Trust me...DS9....you'll have her after the first few episodes.

-Rabittooth
Old June 1 2008, 11:23 PM   #13
T'Leisha
Lieutenant

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to T'Leisha

TNG did it for a couple of friends of mine. It was Inner Light. Damn fine episode. I'm another one that had it easy, my partner and i met on a Star Trek PBEM about 8 years ago.
Ask her to do you a favour. Ask her to sit with you and watch one really amazing episode from each series.
She'll likely find one that she likes, and then you can show her more from that series. Then you can move one from one series to all of them.
This way you don't have to pick a series, because you can use all of them, and it'll give her a broader view of what Star Trek really is.
T'Leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2008, 02:41 AM   #14
indranee
Vice Admiral

I'd start her off with a choice few TOS eps. i.e., the really enjoyable ones like City on the Edge of Forever, the Trouble with Tribbles, This Side of Paradise, Balance of Terror, Space Seed, etc. then if you detect interest, start showing her the seasons in progress. and pop in a TOS movie (start from WOK and go on from there). then progress to TNG and then Generations and First Contact and so on. you just have to watch what sort of stuff she likes and feed her those first.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2008, 03:03 AM   #15
Joshua Howard
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joshua Howard

If it was me, I would probably introduce her to TMP. It eliminates the need for backtracking, and in 10 sequential films covers a fair bit of both TOS and TNG.
Joshua Howard is offline   Reply With Quote