RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,959
Posts: 5,391,430
Members: 24,722
Currently online: 439
Newest member: Jadakiss

TrekToday headlines

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Free Star Trek Trexels Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 26 2011, 07:02 AM   #811
BigFoot
Admiral
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Location: Slovenia (EU)
Re: Top Gear New Series

^ Yeah it's a pretty neat car, but I like slightly bigger cars.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 04:44 PM   #812
Emher
Admiral
 
Emher's Avatar
 
Location: Emher
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher
Re: Top Gear New Series

I'm warming up to small cars after having a Volvo C30 as a work car for two months now. Great little car.
__________________
"I am who I am. Someone has to be."-Brendan Gleeson as Reynald in Kingdom of Heaven. - Emher
Emher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 05:34 PM   #813
ITL
Vice Admiral
 
ITL's Avatar
 
Location: Palace Of The Brine
Re: Top Gear New Series

Excuse me, but...

There's a lot of sensible car talk about sensible cars going on here. In a Top Gear thread, need I remind you.

You people sicken me.

__________________
"Closed this morning as Ravenscroft, the bakery's dog, sprained his mouth whistling round a corner."
- Tockleys Bakery
ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 06:20 PM   #814
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Top Gear New Series

ITL wrote: View Post
Excuse me, but...

There's a lot of sensible car talk about sensible cars going on here. In a Top Gear thread, need I remind you.

You people sicken me.

Needs more exploding caravans?
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 06:36 PM   #815
marillion
Vice Admiral
 
marillion's Avatar
 
Location: Hangin' with Smokey Bear
View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: Top Gear New Series

Emher wrote: View Post
I'm warming up to small cars after having a Volvo C30 as a work car for two months now. Great little car.
I've really been thinking about a C30 as my next car.. Can you give me some thoughts about it? I drive about 100 miles a day and need something that will hold up.

It gets comparable gas mileage to what I drive now, a Saturn Vue and I like the looks of it.
__________________
Find a new way of life - www.marillion.com
marillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 08:10 PM   #816
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral
 
Serial thread killer's Avatar
 
Location: uk
View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile
Re: Top Gear New Series

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
ITL wrote: View Post
Excuse me, but...

There's a lot of sensible car talk about sensible cars going on here. In a Top Gear thread, need I remind you.

You people sicken me.

Needs more exploding caravans?
Which is being towed by a Morris Marina.
__________________
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 11:24 PM   #817
ITL
Vice Admiral
 
ITL's Avatar
 
Location: Palace Of The Brine
Re: Top Gear New Series

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
ITL wrote: View Post
Excuse me, but...

There's a lot of sensible car talk about sensible cars going on here. In a Top Gear thread, need I remind you.

You people sicken me.

Needs more exploding caravans?
Which is being towed by a Morris Marina.
And it's ON FIRE!
__________________
"Closed this morning as Ravenscroft, the bakery's dog, sprained his mouth whistling round a corner."
- Tockleys Bakery
ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 11:32 PM   #818
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral
 
Serial thread killer's Avatar
 
Location: uk
View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile
Re: Top Gear New Series

The TG team have just won best Factual Program at the 2011 National TV Awards.

Jezza points to (lowset) mics, then Richard
These have been set up for you, haven't they?
If it's any consolation to the people from Masterchef, that's my daughter's favourite programme. Mostly though, I'd just like to say an enormous thank you for all those people who voted for us, particularly in the 'Factual television programme' category as there hasn't been a fact on Top gear for seven years now, it's just three middle-aged men falling over every week. But really we are enormously grateful to you, I think this is our third or fourth - third victory in this category and it makes us feel very proud and it makes us feel it's all worthwhile so thank you so much.

Richard steps to the mic
Yeah, thank you to everyone who voted. (looks at mics) These are fine, I like these, these are OK! Thank you to everyone who voted and thank you as well we must say to the whole of the Top Gear team, some of them are down there (Jezza and James turn and applaud them). Really, we can't tell you how brilliant they are, without their fantastic work we really would be three middle-aged men falling over and that would be it, so thanks to them.

James comes to the mic
Yeah, we'd also like to say an especial thank you to the girl who tucked our microphone cables down our trousers earlier on, thanks very much.

Jezza pushes James gently away and takes the mic again
Well that's good, that's good, you're now sacked.

James
Go on, I'm forty eight

Jezza
Yeah, you won't be able to get a job on Countryfile any more. So a really, really big thank you to everybody, this makes us feel very, very proud, not particularly of the show we've made today for Sunday evening, but there we are we'll move on, thank you very much.



]
For non UK people Country file is a TV show that has just lost a court case for sacking a older female presenter.
__________________
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 11:39 PM   #819
Emher
Admiral
 
Emher's Avatar
 
Location: Emher
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher
Re: Top Gear New Series

marillion wrote: View Post
Emher wrote: View Post
I'm warming up to small cars after having a Volvo C30 as a work car for two months now. Great little car.
I've really been thinking about a C30 as my next car.. Can you give me some thoughts about it? I drive about 100 miles a day and need something that will hold up.

It gets comparable gas mileage to what I drive now, a Saturn Vue and I like the looks of it.
The quality is awesome. Both interior and exterior. Seats are very comfy and mileage and power is awesome. Should however be noted that I drive the D2, as in the smallest diesel without the start/stop function, and I saw that in the US only the T5 engine is available (I'm assuming your in the US), which is is the top of the line motor around here.

But let me tell you, my diesel has about 115 bhp and is very torquehappy in the lower range, and it is a blast to drive. Always have the power when you want it and since you got the wheels almost in every corner and it's a bit low and wide, it just sticks. The stability control on this car is amazing. there's a long, low curved bridge on the way to work and when it was really slippery I was able to go sideways on the bridge and still be in control. I can only imagine that the T5 with it's more even torque curve and almost double the horsepowers is a hell of a fun car.

Overall the entire car in any configuration (except for the smallest petrol engine here in EU) is great value for money. My view on Volvo as a car maker has completely changed to the better while I've driven this car.


That being said, yes this is the Top Gear thread. So more talk about growling V8s and RWD!
__________________
"I am who I am. Someone has to be."-Brendan Gleeson as Reynald in Kingdom of Heaven. - Emher
Emher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2011, 04:17 PM   #820
marillion
Vice Admiral
 
marillion's Avatar
 
Location: Hangin' with Smokey Bear
View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: Top Gear New Series

Emher wrote: View Post
marillion wrote: View Post
Emher wrote: View Post
I'm warming up to small cars after having a Volvo C30 as a work car for two months now. Great little car.
I've really been thinking about a C30 as my next car.. Can you give me some thoughts about it? I drive about 100 miles a day and need something that will hold up.

It gets comparable gas mileage to what I drive now, a Saturn Vue and I like the looks of it.
The quality is awesome. Both interior and exterior. Seats are very comfy and mileage and power is awesome. Should however be noted that I drive the D2, as in the smallest diesel without the start/stop function, and I saw that in the US only the T5 engine is available (I'm assuming your in the US), which is is the top of the line motor around here.

But let me tell you, my diesel has about 115 bhp and is very torquehappy in the lower range, and it is a blast to drive. Always have the power when you want it and since you got the wheels almost in every corner and it's a bit low and wide, it just sticks. The stability control on this car is amazing. there's a long, low curved bridge on the way to work and when it was really slippery I was able to go sideways on the bridge and still be in control. I can only imagine that the T5 with it's more even torque curve and almost double the horsepowers is a hell of a fun car.

Overall the entire car in any configuration (except for the smallest petrol engine here in EU) is great value for money. My view on Volvo as a car maker has completely changed to the better while I've driven this car.


That being said, yes this is the Top Gear thread. So more talk about growling V8s and RWD!
Damn.. I think you just sealed the deal for me.. I LOVE to drive and here in New Mexico we have lots of great stretches a car like that would love to take...

Time to start convincing the wife that our tax refund this year would be put to good purposes by replaceing my Vue, which just topped 204,000 miles.
__________________
Find a new way of life - www.marillion.com
marillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2011, 10:06 PM   #821
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral
 
Serial thread killer's Avatar
 
Location: uk
View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile
Re: Top Gear New Series

The Mexico jokes did not go down too well.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/741742.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12338053
http://www.economist.com/blogs/prosp...gear_backfires
When I watched it I felt they went a little to far, I also found it a little sad to watch to be honest.
__________________
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."

Last edited by Serial thread killer; February 3 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2011, 10:38 PM   #822
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Top Gear New Series

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
The Mexico jokes did not go down to well.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/741742.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12338053
http://www.economist.com/blogs/prosp...gear_backfires
When I watched it I felt they went a little to far, I also found it a little sad to watch to be honest.
I think it was deliberate, it was like they were daring people to complain.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2011, 11:06 PM   #823
Canadave
Vice Admiral
 
Canadave's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Catharines, ON
View Canadave's Twitter Profile
Re: Top Gear New Series

^ Yeah, unlike most of their joking around and making fun of people, it didn't come across very naturally. Especially from Richard, it seemed a fair bit more blatant than he normally is.
__________________
My blog!
Canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2011, 12:20 AM   #824
Emher
Admiral
 
Emher's Avatar
 
Location: Emher
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher
Re: Top Gear New Series

marillion wrote: View Post
Emher wrote: View Post
marillion wrote: View Post

I've really been thinking about a C30 as my next car.. Can you give me some thoughts about it? I drive about 100 miles a day and need something that will hold up.

It gets comparable gas mileage to what I drive now, a Saturn Vue and I like the looks of it.
The quality is awesome. Both interior and exterior. Seats are very comfy and mileage and power is awesome. Should however be noted that I drive the D2, as in the smallest diesel without the start/stop function, and I saw that in the US only the T5 engine is available (I'm assuming your in the US), which is is the top of the line motor around here.

But let me tell you, my diesel has about 115 bhp and is very torquehappy in the lower range, and it is a blast to drive. Always have the power when you want it and since you got the wheels almost in every corner and it's a bit low and wide, it just sticks. The stability control on this car is amazing. there's a long, low curved bridge on the way to work and when it was really slippery I was able to go sideways on the bridge and still be in control. I can only imagine that the T5 with it's more even torque curve and almost double the horsepowers is a hell of a fun car.

Overall the entire car in any configuration (except for the smallest petrol engine here in EU) is great value for money. My view on Volvo as a car maker has completely changed to the better while I've driven this car.


That being said, yes this is the Top Gear thread. So more talk about growling V8s and RWD!
Damn.. I think you just sealed the deal for me.. I LOVE to drive and here in New Mexico we have lots of great stretches a car like that would love to take...

Time to start convincing the wife that our tax refund this year would be put to good purposes by replaceing my Vue, which just topped 204,000 miles.
Just realized I didn't say anything negative about the car And yes, while it is really great it has a few downsides.

Mainly loading baggage. The trunk is perfectly mine, as is the space when you fold down the rear seats. it's just that the design of the rear hatch makes some wide and/or tall things impossible to fit in. But then again, it's not a wagon, it's a coupe.

And also it only seats four, but that's by design and you couldn't really seat five in it unless the one in the middle in the back was really small.


Make sure that if you get one, get one with the ABL Xenon lights. I have them and I love them! Best low-beams lights (that turns with the steering wheel in corners at night) I've ever had in a car and the high-beams are great.
__________________
"I am who I am. Someone has to be."-Brendan Gleeson as Reynald in Kingdom of Heaven. - Emher
Emher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2011, 07:24 AM   #825
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral
 
Serial thread killer's Avatar
 
Location: uk
View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile
Re: Top Gear New Series

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
The Mexico jokes did not go down to well.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/741742.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12338053
http://www.economist.com/blogs/prosp...gear_backfires
When I watched it I felt they went a little to far, I also found it a little sad to watch to be honest.
I think it was deliberate, it was like they were daring people to complain.
That is how I saw it too, but I just find that a little sad to be honest.
__________________
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.