Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 23 2010, 05:49 AM   #766
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile
Re: Top Gear New Series

Canadave wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed that one, myself. The whole news segment was one of the funniest they've done in a long time, I think.

And I really liked that they spent so much time on the road trip, that was a good film.
People who went to the filming said there was a lot of the news they could not show before the water shed.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2010, 08:56 AM   #767
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

They need to put it back in the 9pm slot.
Old December 23 2010, 06:49 PM   #768
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Strange that they're billing this as 15x07 rather than 16x01 but whatever the case it was brilliant. The energy drink (and the rest of the news segment, for that matter) and Stig-bashing was hilarious.

I wonder how much of that was them actually speeding through NYC (they were going significantly faster than other traffic at various points) and how much was embellished. I can't imagine the NYPD being too happy if they were indeed racing (even in small spurts) to get to the TV studio. NYC did look absolutely breathtaking through the Top Gear lens though.

While I was warming up to TGUS, this episode just made everything TGUS has done look like utter crap on every front--hosts, cinematography, cars, you name it. TGUS would be fine as filler between TGUK seasons, but it's going to be hard to watch TGUS if it's on the same time as the UK show.

Last edited by Sheep; December 23 2010 at 07:01 PM.
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2010, 07:04 PM   #769
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

Red Nosed Skutter wrote: View Post
From what I heard they would have needed to make the show a lot longer to fit it all in.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Old December 23 2010, 07:31 PM   #770
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
From what I heard they would have needed to make the show a lot longer to fit it all in.
Well it was already 10 minutes longer than usual wasn't it?
Old December 24 2010, 06:32 AM   #771
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Saquist wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Haha, I thought the US TG was ok, but what a pleasure to have the real deal back.
The American TG was crap...BEGONE!
Meh, I thought it was fine. You guys need to go re-watch seasons 1 and most of 2 of the original Top Gear, I dare you to give it a free pass. Does anyone even remember the name of the fatty that used to co-host before May?

The new episode of the original TG was great, they really tore a piece out of the Stig.
Old December 25 2010, 02:02 PM   #772
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Well it was already 10 minutes longer than usual wasn't it?
They got 15 minutes in the end.
From what I have been told by people who have been to the filming, If their having fun the news can go on for a while and can be a bit naughty for 7pm. So their is no way we would ever get to see a full version on TV.
Sometimes bits get put on the net like the bar 6 scene.
Old December 26 2010, 10:32 PM   #773
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

So what do you think will get the most complaints.. Men wearing a burka or turning the baby Jesus into the baby stig.
Old December 26 2010, 11:01 PM   #774
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I saw Baby Stig coming a while off to be honest. I'm gonna sit back and watch the complaints about the whole thing roll in
Old December 26 2010, 11:58 PM   #775
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

FordSVT wrote: View Post
Meh, I thought it was fine. You guys need to go re-watch seasons 1 and most of 2 of the original Top Gear, I dare you to give it a free pass. Does anyone even remember the name of the fatty that used to co-host before May?
The trouble with this excuse is they didn't have an excellent franchise to draw inspiration from. They wrote the book... all the TG USA folks had to do is read it.
Old December 27 2010, 12:04 AM   #776
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

Old December 27 2010, 03:47 PM   #777
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Mr. B wrote: View Post
FordSVT wrote: View Post
The trouble with this excuse is they didn't have an excellent franchise to draw inspiration from. They wrote the book... all the TG USA folks had to do is read it.
I don't think you can read 'have excellent chemistry between presenters' in a book and just make it so.
Old December 28 2010, 08:27 PM   #778
Sheep
Vice Admiral

I literally felt sick to my stomach upon seeing May's nasty fall. His head injury was legitimately scary, especially when they were asking him questions to test his awareness and he was completely unable to answer. The sight of Clarkson and Hammond's two cars continuing on instead of the usual three was surprisingly effective too.

While I don't think it was as good as the other international specials due to some of the silliness (the completely unnecessary desert modifications, the "Do they know Top Gear in Syria?" burka antics), I still really enjoyed this one. When Top Gear as we know it inevitably goes away, if Clarkson, May and Hammond do a few of these specials each year, I'll be a happy camper.

This week's episode is a great example of why TGUS will NEVER be as good as TGUK. Can you imagine the American show doing any challenge anywhere near as complex as this one? I don't see Rutledge, Tanner and Adam ever being able (or allowed) to convey a more poignant, serious side though things like this episode's metaphorical amusement park scenes or cynically showing an Israeli walled checkpoint while commenting about "peace on Earth".
Old December 28 2010, 08:56 PM   #779
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

Sheep wrote: View Post
I literally felt sick to my stomach upon seeing May's nasty fall. His head injury was legitimately scary, especially when they were asking him questions to test his awareness and he was completely unable to answer. The sight of Clarkson and Hammond's two cars continuing on instead of the usual three was surprisingly effective too.

While I don't think it was as good as the other international specials due to some of the silliness (the completely unnecessary desert modifications, the "Do they know Top Gear in Syria?" burka antics), I still really enjoyed this one. When Top Gear as we know it inevitably goes away, if Clarkson, May and Hammond do a few of these specials each year, I'll be a happy camper.

This week's episode is a great example of why TGUS will NEVER be as good as TGUK. Can you imagine the American show doing any challenge anywhere near as complex as this one? I don't see Rutledge, Tanner and Adam ever being able (or allowed) to convey a more poignant, serious side though things like this episode's metaphorical amusement park scenes or cynically showing an Israeli walled checkpoint while commenting about "peace on Earth".
Have to say even though I knew what was going to happen to James, I still had a OMG moment when I saw the blood.
The complaints are starting to trickle in ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...=feeds-newsxml
I know its not really a news paper but the star high brow reporting made me LOL.
But an unnamed nut wrote: “Death to America.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view...KA-GEAR-STORM/
Old December 28 2010, 10:43 PM   #780
Lonemagpie
Writer

I love how the Hate Mail offers, in support of their sense of outrage, a statement from "muslim extremist Anjem Choudary".

They don't think it's a bit odd that, after spending the other 364 days of the year scaremongering about the likes of Choudary, and Islamic extremism (Choudary's the guy in charge of Islam4UK, who put up a load of anti-Xmas posters last week, claiming that Islam protects people from the Xmas evils of domestic abuse and violence. How you can beat your sister or daughter to death for dating a non-muslim without being either violent or abusive wasn't explained in the flyers), that they then claim to be on his side or something? WTF?

I mean. They're complaining about TG mocking the burqa? When they themselves are the most racist anti-Islam, anti-burqa-wearing corner of the media that there is? What the smeg is going on? Is their hatred of Jezza just that much above their hatred of foreigners, non-godfearing Christians, etc?

I think they're just pissed off that The Daily Star grabbed the headlines about Chouary's anti-Xmas posters first, cos it'd have been perfect Hate Mail material.

It was a great special, but I saw the baby Stig coming way off.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com

Last edited by Lonemagpie; December 28 2010 at 10:59 PM.
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote