USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 27 2010, 03:47 AM   #706
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Re: Top Gear New Series

Damn, that was the best regular hour of Top Gear in YEARS (the season-ending travel challenges excepted since those always rule). The thought of James May as the fastest man alive cracked me up, and the Senna special was just amazing.

More things like this and less juvenile overly-scripted stunts please!

Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
Hermiod wrote: View Post
StolenThunder wrote: View Post
Rumour has it that the show will be taken off iPlayer after the repeat tonight so if you're putting it off.. put it on.
What ? Why ?

I Sky+'ed it so I won't miss it but shows on iPlayer last for seven days. In fact, after the mid-week repeat those seven days are normally reset.
This series is on series catch up, so it should be available until a week after the last episode. Why would they remove this episode early?
A Final Gear post indicated there were some money issues with the F1 footage in Clarkson's Senna tribute (and the Beeb not wanting or not being able to afford paying for it on a pay-per-view basis, apparently) which means this one's going away and will probably be chopped out of the DVD release.

Thank goodness for torrents.

Last edited by Sheep; July 27 2010 at 04:28 AM.
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 05:53 PM   #707
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Well my TV guide says Top gear will be on at 9.30 so I will have to catch it on I player as I will be watching Sherlock.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 06:40 PM   #708
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Yep midweek repeat for me. Can't believe this series is over already.
Old August 1 2010, 06:56 PM   #709
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Is it true there won't be a series 16 just a christmas special?
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2010, 05:25 AM   #710
CorporalClegg
Admiral

^
I sure hope not.

I'm already disappointed this series was so short.
Old August 3 2010, 09:36 AM   #711
Kibbin
Fleet Captain

Well it was a good episode to end on, imo. This series really felt good and soild, like they weren't trying to hard, or goiung over the top too much, to outdo themselves on whacky hijinks.
Please say there is a summer special at they will be back october-ish
Old August 3 2010, 09:55 AM   #712
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I didn't realise Jeff Goldblum was such a luvvy. Perhaps he was just flummoxed by Clarkson's interviewing method: shout a few things and then shout a few things more.
Old August 3 2010, 10:00 AM   #713
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I didn't realise Jeff Goldblum was such a luvvy. Perhaps he was just flummoxed by Clarkson's interviewing method: shout a few things and then shout a few things more.
I thought he was a bit odd, but it seems like the American stars who get on shows over often don't quite get it and are overwhelmed.
Old August 3 2010, 10:16 AM   #714
Kibbin
Fleet Captain

I think Top Gear is different enough that very few people get it. You sort of have to have seen the show a few times to realise that they are gonna ask you little to nothing about you work, social life and so on and just want to know what cars you like. After all is there another chat show that makes its guests drive round in a four door famaily car for a morning as part of their screen time? I think Goldblum, Cruis and Diaz adapted quite well.
Old August 3 2010, 10:28 AM   #715
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I suspect Cruise had probably seen the show a few times. The two of them were petrolheads so it wouldn't be that strange.
Old August 3 2010, 10:32 AM   #716
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Kibbin wrote: View Post
I think Top Gear is different enough that very few people get it. You sort of have to have seen the show a few times to realise that they are gonna ask you little to nothing about you work, social life and so on and just want to know what cars you like. After all is there another chat show that makes its guests drive round in a four door famaily car for a morning as part of their screen time? I think Goldblum, Cruis and Diaz adapted quite well.
I don't just mean Top Gear though. Seems like they feel out of place on stuff like Alan Carr, Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton and the comedy panel shows too. I don't know if it's the humour or what but it can often seem like they don't understand a lot of it's not serious.
Old August 3 2010, 10:37 AM   #717
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Love the avatar, Bob.
Old August 3 2010, 10:55 AM   #718
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Love the avatar, Bob.
Thanks. Just saw it online the other day and had to have it as my avatar.
Old August 3 2010, 12:08 PM   #719
Servo
Rear Admiral

I don't just mean Top Gear though. Seems like they feel out of place on stuff like Alan Carr, Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton and the comedy panel shows too. I don't know if it's the humour or what but it can often seem like they don't understand a lot of it's not serious.
I notice the same thing. There are very few American stars who come onto UK shows and "get it". They seem to work on the notion that they're on the show solely to promote something, rather than just enjoying being on the show. That might work on the US circuit, but it tends to fall flat over here.

One thing they need to realise though; nine times out of ten, we, the viewers, don't give a flying fuck what they're over here promoting. We have advert breaks for shit like that. We just want to see Ross, Clarkson, Carr...etc, ask them stupid questions, have a bit of banter, and then get rid of them in time for the next guest/segment.
Old August 3 2010, 12:30 PM   #720
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Servo wrote: View Post
I notice the same thing. There are very few American stars who come onto UK shows and "get it". They seem to work on the notion that they're on the show solely to promote something, rather than just enjoying being on the show. That might work on the US circuit, but it tends to fall flat over here.

One thing they need to realise though; nine times out of ten, we, the viewers, don't give a flying fuck what they're over here promoting. We have advert breaks for shit like that. We just want to see Ross, Clarkson, Carr...etc, ask them stupid questions, have a bit of banter, and then get rid of them in time for the next guest/segment.
Yeah, they just seem bemused by the whole thing, especially on the comedy panel shows.