RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,719
Members: 26,183
Currently online: 410
Newest member: dean 1960

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 7 2009, 06:55 AM   #301
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Re: Top Gear New Series

While it wasn't the best episode ever, May's reactions driving around with Ken Block (and the rest of that segment)and the cheap car challenges made up for any shortcomings the episode might have had.

I can't wait to see guys make fun of the animal rights crowd who will inevitably complain about the treatment of the dogs in next week's episode--you KNOW it's coming.
Old July 7 2009, 07:31 AM   #302
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I fell asleep.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 07:36 AM   #303
Hermiod
Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Well, that's something I've never done during Top Gear before - changed channels to look at ceefax while a boringly wittering twat went on and on and on and on and on and on and on in the apparent over-enthusiatic belief that he was being amusing and/or interesting.

I've never seen this Michael McIntyre bloke in anything before. And now I'm going to make damn sure I never do again.
Michael McIntyre is a twat, but he has actually managed to be funny during his Comedy Roadshow on BBC One.

Oh for fuck's sake, it didn't start recording till 15 minutes in this time. Sodding media centre.
If it makes you feel any better, my Sky+ box did the same thing. I think it's due to the Wimbledon final overrunning so much that they had to dump a load of programming on to BBC2, messing up the schedule.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 08:29 AM   #304
Hermiod
Admiral

Finally got to see the first 15 minutes on iPlayer last night. Mercedes have only imported eight of those £250,000 "things" that Jeremy was testing.

Then they told us which person with more money than sense the one Jeremy tested belonged to - Theo Walcott.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 10:51 PM   #305
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

How hard can it be.
Old July 10 2009, 02:02 PM   #306
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

On another board i go on we like to see what twat has complained about top gear.
Well this week some people on there let us down and complaned to the BBC about a Illegal site for watching top gear being shut down.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/resp...nthessmo.shtml
Thats like moaning to the cops if they nick your usual drug dealer
There also another complaint about the BBC taking a repeat of TG off the listing.
BBC is probably the only people who would get told off for NOT having reruns
Old July 10 2009, 11:25 PM   #307
payndz201
Commodore

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
On another board i go on we like to see what twat has complained about top gear.
Well this week some people on there let us down and complaned to the BBC about a Illegal site for watching top gear being shut down.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/resp...nthessmo.shtml
Thats like moaning to the cops if they nick your usual drug dealer
There also another complaint about the BBC taking a repeat of TG off the listing.
BBC is probably the only people who would get told off for NOT having reruns
The annoying thing is that I just recently discovered Hessmo, and was watching all the really old episodes that no longer get repeated on the BBC or Dave. But no more! Really, they should turn BBC3 into the Top Gear/Doctor Who 24/7 repeat channel - it would probably get just as good viewing figures...
payndz201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 06:50 AM   #308
thedude
Lieutenant Commander

Anybody catch Sunday's episode? Rubbish, to quote Jezza. I watched it with a few friends who hadn't seen the show before, thinking I'd turn them on, and low and behold we see this abortion of a Porsche racing a f'ing envelope across the UK... really??? THIS is what we waited 7 days for? The only good thing was Bolt's SIARPC... that was pretty good. Other than that, was a waste of an hour...
thedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 09:50 AM   #309
Starkers
Admiral

How are the British Army supposed to defeat the Taleban if they can't even kill Jeremy Clarkson?
Old July 13 2009, 04:13 PM   #310
thedude
Lieutenant Commander

Starkers wrote: View Post
How are the British Army supposed to defeat the Taleban if they can't even kill Jeremy Clarkson?
I saw a funny quote on Jalopnik today from a poster...

"In other news, the Taliban recently purchased 50 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO's from eBay in a surprising move"

Kinda funny, but true.
thedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 05:56 PM   #311
Sheep
Vice Admiral

thedude wrote: View Post
Anybody catch Sunday's episode? Rubbish, to quote Jezza. I watched it with a few friends who hadn't seen the show before, thinking I'd turn them on, and low and behold we see this abortion of a Porsche racing a f'ing envelope across the UK... really??? THIS is what we waited 7 days for? The only good thing was Bolt's SIARPC... that was pretty good. Other than that, was a waste of an hour...
That episode was the worst one in awhile, with the only redeeming parts being the initial Focus RS/Renault review. The Panamera abortion driving across the UK felt like it was in fast-forward and missing the usual polish of the car vs. whatever challenges.

I don't mind the fact that the challenges are scripted, but Clarkson declaring they were using live ammo and very obviously not being in the car when it got crushed was a bit much for my suspension of disbelief. They should have just focused on the military vehicles without the stupid chase--I was fully expecting a "British Army" logo to pop up at the end of that segment anyway.
Old July 13 2009, 07:43 PM   #312
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Yeah, I much preferred the Fiesta review where they just had the British Army there to make the film look cool. Last night's part with the Evo was kind of embarrassing.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 09:09 PM   #313
payndz201
Commodore

"Worst" episode for a while - but "worst" was in quotes there for a reason, as it was still entertaining enough. Top Gear's biggest problem is that they've set the bar so high that they will inevitably fall short every once in a while. And all the pieces seemed quite long - normally they break things up more. I wasn't expecting the Panamera vs Letter race to be shown in one long lump (which is a good description of the Panamera! )

The Clarkson vs Army piece was ridiculously and obviously staged, more so than usual, but as a showcase of the Army's latest fancy kit it was pretty impressive. The Trojan looked ready to transform into a damn Decepticon at any moment. However, according to a news report I saw today, British forces won't actually be getting things like the Mastiff in combat zones for six months to a year! Does chasing Jezza around Dorset count as testing?
payndz201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 09:20 PM   #314
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Meh, I don't know what your problem is, I liked this episode and last week's. I prefer them to do some ridiculous crap, wreck cars etc., but what they did lately was fine too imo, I was plenty enterteined.

It's not Top Gear at it's best, but it's fine imo.
Old July 13 2009, 09:27 PM   #315
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Yeah, I feel the same way. While these last two eps weren't some of the shows best, they were still very entertaining.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote