RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,682
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 829
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 30 2008, 03:44 PM   #211
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: Top Gear New Series

It was. Rounded off an excellent series all round I'd say. That bar they had to get to at the end was stunning.
Old December 30 2008, 05:07 PM   #212
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Born in the USA! Poor, D'arsay's head. James May looked genuinely upset when she lost her head.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2008, 05:32 PM   #213
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Well looks like we might be seeing a pared down Top Gear next year...

From Digital Spy

Top Gear executive producer Andy Wilman has admitted that the BBC Two motoring show will be hit by severe budget cuts next year, reports The Guardian.
Wilman, who is also Jeremy Clarkson's business partner, wrote on Top Gear fansite Transmission that "nobody's got a pot to p*** in anymore".
Wilman's posting, which was later altered, initially read: "No point in moaning about that - all shows are suffering and nobody's got a pot to p*** in anymore anyway, so no reason why we shouldn't suffer as well.
"Our problem though is that there is no fat to trim off the show, in that we waste almost nothing behind the scenes and the old cliché of every penny goes on screen is actually true."
Discussing ways in which the programme will change next series, he continued: "In 2009, the budget cut has to affect what you watch, and Clarkson has had a brainwave in making this as painless as possible.
"Basically instead of trimming back a little bit on every show - losing a helicopter here or a truck crash there - we'll endeavour to make 13 of our 14 shows as per the usual Jerry Bruckheimer standard, and then the last one, when we only have a tenner left, will be utter, utter s**te."
Old December 30 2008, 05:43 PM   #214
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

I just hope Doctor Who's budget doesn't get humped for Moffat's first season in 2010.

Right BBC, it's time to cull the herd. Strictly Come Flailing, Songs of Piss and Graham Norton are all expendable.

As is everything on BBC 3 (that isn't re-runs of Doctor Who and Top Gear).
Old December 30 2008, 05:48 PM   #215
Pingfah
Admiral

No worries guys, i'm sure they will be slashing the license fee along with the budgets...

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2008, 05:50 PM   #216
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

I'll happily pay double if it guaranteed an entire season of Doctor Who that didn't feature the usual "shitty 3 episodes (and unsatisfying finale)".
Old December 30 2008, 07:33 PM   #217
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Well looks like we might be seeing a pared down Top Gear next year...

From Digital Spy

Top Gear executive producer Andy Wilman has admitted that the BBC Two motoring show will be hit by severe budget cuts next year, reports The Guardian.
Wilman, who is also Jeremy Clarkson's business partner, wrote on Top Gear fansite Transmission that "nobody's got a pot to p*** in anymore".
Wilman's posting, which was later altered, initially read: "No point in moaning about that - all shows are suffering and nobody's got a pot to p*** in anymore anyway, so no reason why we shouldn't suffer as well.
"Our problem though is that there is no fat to trim off the show, in that we waste almost nothing behind the scenes and the old cliché of every penny goes on screen is actually true."
Discussing ways in which the programme will change next series, he continued: "In 2009, the budget cut has to affect what you watch, and Clarkson has had a brainwave in making this as painless as possible.
"Basically instead of trimming back a little bit on every show - losing a helicopter here or a truck crash there - we'll endeavour to make 13 of our 14 shows as per the usual Jerry Bruckheimer standard, and then the last one, when we only have a tenner left, will be utter, utter s**te."
I wouldn't worry too much about this as far as Top Gear goes. There are plenty of ways they can trim the budget, the easiest of which is getting rid of the Top Gear Stuntman segments and some of the more crash-oriented segments (like destroying buses or caravans). Instead of a "find a classic (or not so classic) car" challenge for $1000, they'll pare it down to $250 and hilarity ensues.

IMO, as much as some car nuts despise it, the show's as much about the presenters screwing around as it is about the cars. They'll be fine.
Old December 31 2008, 06:50 AM   #218
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Finally watched this episode--excellent stuff on par with their other international adventures.

I rewatched this part several times, but how did Clarkson manage to wipe out? It doesn't look like he's doing anything particularly dangerous or stupid (all things relative), and then he just falls over. Thankfully his injuries weren't worse than they were.
Old December 31 2008, 09:36 AM   #219
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Inexperience (on a bike) maybe?
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 10:26 AM   #220
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Pingfah wrote: View Post
No worries guys, i'm sure they will be slashing the license fee along with the budgets...
A late contender for quote of the year.
Old December 31 2008, 11:03 AM   #221
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
I know you're kidding but...
Well they kinda already did, hence the slashed budgets. The increases used to be linked to inflation, so it's always be an above inflation increase, but at the last charter settlement the government took that away and now they're getting a below inflation increase for 4 years with possibly no increase at all on the 5th year, with increased costs for digital switch over, changing over to HD production etc. it means the BBCs budget is really smaller even with the increase of the licence fee. And now with the government ideas on top slicing the licence fee to pay other PSBs with it seems like it'll be getting worse.
Old December 31 2008, 11:05 AM   #222
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Isn't Top Gear one of the programs that's making money for the BBC?
Old December 31 2008, 11:59 AM   #223
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Isn't Top Gear one of the programs that's making money for the BBC?
Depends on how you look at it, all the stuff on sale is making money for BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC, which gets it's budget from the sales of rights from BBC properties, any profits they then make go back in to the BBCs budget. So any show they sell the rights for internationally or on to pay TV makes them money. But I guess Top Gear has more than most with the magazines, dvds, international sales and format rights, plus it's one of BBC Two's highest rated shows.
Old January 2 2009, 06:30 PM   #224
payndz201
Commodore

Unfortunately, all the money that Top Gear makes through BBC Worldwide doesn't go back to Top Gear. If it did, they really would be able to afford to drive a Ferrari on the moon. (Well, maybe not quite, but they'd probably at least be able to punt one into low orbit... or blow it up spectacularly on a moor somewhere.)

The BBC's current biggest earner is, of all things, Strictly Come Dancing, which according to an article I read a few weeks ago accounts for close to half of Worldwide's takings from foreign rights sales - tens of millions of pounds.
payndz201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2009, 06:53 PM   #225
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Starts tonight at 8pm and have been told if you are recording it you have to set your device for 65 minutes not 60 minutes.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote