Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 18 2008, 09:32 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Picardo on 'Stargate: Atlantis'

Taking a character who is not a leader and turning him into one will be a challenge for Robert Picardo.

As reported by newsarama.com, Picardo's initial enthusiasm for his new job was tempered with a bit of caution due to how the character had already been established. "Frankly, when they hired me for the job, I went 'Oh God, that's interesting!'," said Picardo. "Of course I love working here. I love the company. I'm treated beautifully and I love coming to Vancouver. So all the outside things were like 'Yes, yes, of course I want to do it!' Then there was a little voice going 'Wait a minute! You've set this guy up as kind of an annoyance, a bit of a prig. I come in and evaluate you so you all better watch out and be on your best behavior! I'm going to find out who screwed up!' Now suddenly he's the guy in charge and he's a briefing room guy. He's a think tank personality. Woolsey is not a leader. He evaluates other leaders. He's got a terrific legal mind, he knows the military rule book, knows all the rules about protocol, eliminating collateral damage, and acceptable losses but he doesn't make decisions. Woolsey just comes in and tells you how you screwed up."

In addition, Woolsey is not the bravest of men. "I thought it was very interesting but we've also set up that he's not terribly courageous," said Picardo. "We had great comic mileage in the SG-1 episode 'The Swarm', where Woolsey is running away faster than anybody else. So we had set up certain precedents that I was a little concerned about because I didn't want to suddenly become a different character. But on the other hand, I thought if the writers are choosing to do this, it's for the exact reason to put someone in charge who's not a born leader, to see what happens, how he develops, and how he's accepted."

Picardo also spoke about the differences between working on Stargate: Atlantis and Star Trek: Voyager. "There's a kind of freewheeling humorous, we're winking a little at the genre thing, that they do on 'Stargate' very well," he said. "'Star Trek' tends to take itself a little too seriously. They were either very dramatic shows, or if we did a humorous show, it was always a little like 'Oh, we're doing humor on 'Star Trek',' especially on the original series. I shouldn't say this in print but it was always a little painful when they were funny on 'Star Trek'. My character on 'Voyager', because of the way he was presented, I could go either way. I could be a real buffoon, a windbag, be self-involved, and we could get a lot of comic mileage from him. However, the audience accepted me with gravity when I was in a dire situation so they would follow me in comic or dramatic stories. What I like about this show is they do both at the same time."

To read more, head to the article located here. Thanks to Trekweb for the story.

Old June 18 2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Picardo on 'Stargate: Atlantis'

Sounds interesting, but isn't that basically McKay's character arc? Not that McKay is making much progress on his arc. I guess this is another example of how secondary characters are allowed to develop because the writers don't want to muss up the dynamic between main characters, so the secondary characters end up being more interesting.
Old June 19 2008, 01:08 AM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I don't know why he's so surprised that Star Trek takes itself seriously. Of course it does. That's part of what *makes* it Trek (and why I like it so much).
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old June 19 2008, 02:33 PM   #4
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
I don't know why he's so surprised that Star Trek takes itself seriously. Of course it does. That's part of what *makes* it Trek (and why I like it so much).
I don't think he was surprised. He was asked what the differences between the two shows were.
Old June 19 2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Pioneer
Captain

It will be interesting to see how this "Woolsey as Leader" thing plays out.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old June 20 2008, 01:43 AM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Pioneer wrote: View Post
It will be interesting to see how this "Woolsey as Leader" thing plays out.
How many 'leaders' has SG:A had, anyway? That must not be a very popular posting, if they keep clearing out like that. What's this, the third? Fourth?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old June 20 2008, 08:09 AM   #7
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

And he is right that Star Trek said "Let's do a humour episode this week" rather blatantly.

But SG1 has its humour music. So they may have it within a dramatic episode, but every time the comedy character comes on screen you have to have that bombastic comedy music.

Oh, and I think he's trying to guess why they want him on SGA, but they probably don't know. Talk about lurching from one problem to another over the last year. It's turning into Andromeda. We just need to radically change a female character now and it's done.
Old June 20 2008, 09:25 PM   #8
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Oh, and I think he's trying to guess why they want him on SGA, but they probably don't know.
The one thing Stargate excels at is glomming into fan favorites from other series to shoehorn into their shows. I just wish some better sf/f shows out there would start grabbing the Browders, Trinneers, Picardos, Pileggis, etc of the world.

Not to mention the BSG cast, who will be at liberty soon. If I see any of them on Stargate, I'm throwing my TV out the window. (This time, I'm serious. ).

Not that I begrudge them the paycheck of course. I'd blame the people who weren't hiring them.
Old June 21 2008, 12:43 PM   #9
DWF
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Oh, and I think he's trying to guess why they want him on SGA, but they probably don't know.
The one thing Stargate excels at is glomming into fan favorites from other series to shoehorn into their shows. I just wish some better sf/f shows out there would start grabbing the Browders, Trinneers, Picardos, Pileggis, etc of the world.

Not to mention the BSG cast, who will be at liberty soon. If I see any of them on Stargate, I'm throwing my TV out the window. (This time, I'm serious. ).

Not that I begrudge them the paycheck of course. I'd blame the people who weren't hiring them.
Aaron Douglas, Grace Park and Tahmoh Pennikett were all on Stargate SG1 long before there was a new Battlestar Galactica.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old June 23 2008, 12:07 AM   #10
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post

Aaron Douglas, Grace Park and Tahmoh Pennikett were all on Stargate SG1 long before there was a new Battlestar Galactica.
And I was thinking of...none of them!

Douglas is good. Park and Penikett could fall off a cliff for all I care.