Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 28 2008, 03:57 AM   #76
Mantyclause
Rear Admiral

Re: Modified TOS Ent - Wallpapers

My experience with Maya is that it's by far the most controllable of the mainstream packages, if you can dig deep enough. However, for the average user, it's extremely weak on the basic side of things. The potential's there, but you have to really know what you're doing. The main thing that I like about Lightwave is its price, and the fact that the modeler is split from the animator/renderer. That takes some getting used to, but it's nice. However, the lack of any kind of batch render outside of network rendering, or anything resembling scene states or render layers (Max and Maya relatively speaking) really hurts it.

Of the "Big 3", I find that Max has the best mix of power and useability (though this may be because I've got more experience with it than the other progs, and have been using it for longer. ) But the non-node-based material system really hurts it big-time, and I don't understand why they still use such an obsolete system, especially since it's particle system is node-based, and one of the best out there. I can get a nice plugin to make it do node-based materials, but that's not a perfect solution. That said, I much prefer the way it handles lighting compared to Maya, because I feel as if I have a lot more control, useful to me as someone who specializes in lighting. I've also found that Max's default scanline render...well...renders faster than Maya Software, with better looking results. However, I feel that Scene States are much clunkier than Maya's equivalent Render Layers, for the most part, though they also have some advantages as well.

The main thing that I'm liking about Max 2009, compared to earlier versions, is the incredible render element support for mental ray, especially the arch&design material. Yowza that's insane. And I love that, using mental ray, I can basically designate any map/map tree as a render element. That'll make rendering self-illumination maps much easier, as I can just designate different maps as different elements with their own output paths, and they'll save out seperately.

Right now, I either render out each self-illumination element as its own pass, which is time-expensive, or I render out several maps at once, and then a "matte pass" with each map as a seperate, distinct color, and use that to mask out the bits that I don't want in each pass. Bit easier on render time and disk space perhaps (though the new method will actually be worse on disk space than this...can't have everything), but it's a bit of a pain to set up. Now I can just say "warp drive, render as 'filename_warp#####.exr', windows, impulse engines, etc. etc." Definitely looking forward to playing with that in my next project!

I'll stop rambling now, if I must.

Ummm...to answer your question Cary, I'm not sure if it is possible to access mental ray's shader library in Maya. I'll have to reinstall Maya and check it out.
Old August 29 2008, 06:20 PM   #77
Blip
Fleet Captain

Sweet Jesus!!!
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2008, 02:56 AM   #78
ncc-1017-e
Captain

ncc-1017-e wrote: View Post
Vektor wrote: View Post
And one more for your viewing pleasure.

God I love this!^
We need some more pleassssssse!
Old September 24 2008, 12:52 PM   #79
Jefferies
Captain

This update of the original Coni is utterly amazing. It is so beautifully modest and unpretentious, unlike most refits - a real tribute to Matt Jefferies’ design. If only they would use this for Star Trek XI. Thank you Vector for sharing this with us.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 07:57 PM   #80
jezor
Lieutenant Commander

Here's a little something.

Vektor,

If I didn't feel obligated to keep my Alex Ross Obama-as-Superman on my desktop until the election, I'd have this one there in a heartbeat! {ProfJonathan}
Touro Law Center
jezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 11:36 PM   #81
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I've gotten a lot of requests from people asking how I did the textures for this ship, so I decided to post a sampling of the diffuse maps. Most of these are reduced by anywhere from 50-75% from the ones used on the actual model.

Saucer Top:

SaucerBottom:

B/C Deck Command Module:

Secondary Hull:

Nacelle:

Nacelle Inner Body Grill - Diffuse, Bump and Opacity Maps:

The specular maps are, for the most part, just darkened and higher-contrast versions of the diffuse maps. What really sells the textures is the material setup in Mental Ray, which I unfortunately don't have time to go into right now, but maybe some time down the road.
Old December 7 2008, 11:49 PM   #82
lennier1
Rear Admiral

So basically you refined the techniques from your (by now legendary) FJ Connie?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 07:00 PM   #83
Santaman
Rear Admiral

^^ Now that was a beauty as well.

As for the rest I guess like everyone else I'll just nag for more views/wallpapers and so on.
Old December 9 2008, 07:33 PM   #84
Johnnymuffintop
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Yahoo to Johnnymuffintop

Hey Vektor, maybe you can help me with a little something:
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/g...-new-post.html
Johnnymuffintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2008, 02:41 PM   #85
ancient
Vice Admiral

Wow, the texture really sells this ship. Amazing work!
Old December 10 2008, 10:10 PM   #86
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

I've gotten a lot of requests from people asking how I did the textures for this ship, so I decided to post a sampling of the diffuse maps. Most of these are reduced by anywhere from 50-75% from the ones used on the actual model.

(images omitted for post size)

The specular maps are, for the most part, just darkened and higher-contrast versions of the diffuse maps. What really sells the textures is the material setup in Mental Ray, which I unfortunately don't have time to go into right now, but maybe some time down the road.
Vektor,

I'm still developing my "texturing" techniques. I'm curious... how much of that is painted "in-place" on the model, then UV-unwrapped, and how much is painted in 2-D?

It seems like some of it would be difficult to get "right" either way... like the lines on the B/C-deck superstructure, for instance. The saucer, on the other hand, I could see being done in pure 2D... and the secondary hull LOOKS like it would have been painted, then UV-unwrapped, then have 2D elements added, then rewrapped and retweaked.

That stuff just kills me... :\
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2008, 11:33 PM   #87
Vektor
Rear Admiral

All of the pictures were painted purely in 2D using PhotoShop. I did unwrap the objects in question beforehand and create background templates to use as a guide for the textures, which made it a bit easier.
Old December 13 2008, 08:10 PM   #88
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

Sweet Jesus that's the best 3D Constitution-Class model I've ever seen. I really like that white glow coming off the warp-grilles (though I'd only have them on when at warp...)

CuttingEdge100
BTW: Is the surface detail less than, equal to, or more so than the actual Constitution-Class miniature?
CuttingEdge100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 08:25 AM   #89
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Had some more fun with my Modified TOS Enterprise over the weekend. I was so happy with the deflector dish I built for my Starhawk project that I decided to swap it over to this model as well. I have to say that I really like the result. Truth is, this model is still more or less a work-in-progress and I may tweak it even more as time goes on.

For now, here's a new batch of wallpapers for your viewing pleasure. There are regular and widescreen versions of each of these. Clcik the thumbnails below for full-size images.

And here's one more just for fun:

That's me in my driveway showing off my new ride I picked up at the used starship lot. Or it's a little experiment I did in 3D photo compositing. Whichever you prefer to believe.
Old April 7 2009, 10:38 AM   #90
Relayer
Lieutenant Commander

Very inspirational work! There's so much to steal here.