Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 14 2009, 10:02 PM   #136
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

Re: Modified TOS Ent - Wallpapers

Images? We need video!
Old July 14 2009, 10:21 PM   #137
James Bond
Rear Admiral

Anticitizen wrote: View Post
Images? We need video!
This.
James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 02:39 AM   #138
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Nice update on the site!
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2009, 08:59 PM   #139
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I actually have some updates to show. As I've been saying for a while, I'm still not finished with this project despite all the finished-quality renderings I've been posting. There are some further modifications I want to make and quite a bit of detail I want to add. This weekend I managed to spend some time working on the primary hull, mainly modeled grid lines, refinements to the RCS thrusters and a few other things here and there. The textures have been removed for now since most of them will eventually have to be re-mapped anyway.

Old August 10 2009, 10:20 PM   #140
deg3D
Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to deg3D

That's awesome, my friend, lovin' it!!!

I am also as we speak porting my TOS.5 E into LightWave (from modo) and redoing all her surfacing and her bussards efx, and perhaps tweaking some odds-and-ends to the geo as well.

Here's a peak at the WIP. I am still working creating a lighting rig, that will include a test for a self-lighting rig along the lines of TMP E.

I so look forward to see your finished re-do, my E-buildin' brother!

deg
http://deg3D.biz
deg3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2009, 10:52 PM   #141
Birdog
Commander

Vektor's or Deg's versions are what we should have had in Trek XI.
Birdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2009, 10:58 PM   #142
deg3D
Commander

birdog wrote: View Post
Amen birdog. I would have been happy with either. I like mine for the purity of line, but I feel if you were gonna change her lines a bit, V did it with perfect respect to Matt's original design. He tweaked her just the right amount.

deg
Old August 11 2009, 12:24 AM   #143
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

deg3D wrote: View Post
birdog wrote: View Post
Amen birdog. I would have been happy with either. I like mine for the purity of line, but I feel if you were gonna change her lines a bit, V did it with perfect respect to Matt's original design. He tweaked her just the right amount.

deg
Well, we won't be seeing "her" onscreen for a while, it seems...

But, there are always possibilities...

Personally, the more I see the "new" ship, the less I like it. I'd have rather had a "Moia" type ship as the Enterprise than what we got, because at least then, the whole "well, it's close enough" strawman wouldn't get used.

Between Deg's and Vektor's "improvements" here... I love both of 'em, but I'd still really like to have seen the general approach used by either or both, but with less deviations overall.

I really think that the original design works pretty darned well, and doesn't even need the "minimal" changes you guys have done (changes to nacelle shape, etc, for Vektor and the dish stuff for Deg, mainly). Both would have made me happy to see on-screen, but if it were up to me, I'd have done a sort of "hybrid" of both of your takes, culling the most TOS-ish elements from each and combining them into something totally TOSish yet also tremendously improved in terms of polish and detail.

The one "significant deviation" that I think really, really works, and works well, is the change that Deg did to the aft end of his nacelles... that's just gorgeous.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2009, 01:12 AM   #144
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I am also as we speak porting my TOS.5 E into LightWave (from modo) and redoing all her surfacing and her bussards efx, and perhaps tweaking some odds-and-ends to the geo as well.

Here's a peak at the WIP. I am still working creating a lighting rig, that will include a test for a self-lighting rig along the lines of TMP E.
I love your version as well. In terms of a “faithful” update that makes no real changes to the ship’s major structures or proportions, I’d have to say yours is the best out there.

I, too, am planning to go the self-illumination route with my version, and I’ll be doing something more like the production nacelle caps rather than the solid copper versions I’ve been showing in all the latest renders. Still figuring out exactly how I want to do that.

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
I really think that the original design works pretty darned well, and doesn't even need the "minimal" changes you guys have done (changes to nacelle shape, etc, for Vektor and the dish stuff for Deg, mainly). Both would have made me happy to see on-screen, but if it were up to me, I'd have done a sort of "hybrid" of both of your takes, culling the most TOS-ish elements from each and combining them into something totally TOSish yet also tremendously improved in terms of polish and detail.
I’m a big fan of the original design, but I have my doubts that it would have been viable on the big screen without even minimal changes. Even allowing for some added surface texture, aztecing or whatnot, I think it needed some additional updating.

One thing that always struck me about the original design is that it wasn’t as… cohesive as it might have been. On the one hand you have these rounded shapes with sculpted cross-sections all through the primary hull, as well as the angled and tapered interconnecting dorsal, but then you have fairly simple, tapered cylinders for the secondary hull and nacelles, straight, stick-like pylons, s-curved cowlings on the backs of the nacelles, a clunky-looking dish on the front, etc. As I said, I’m a big fan of the original design and it’s not my intention to second-guess the great Matt Jeffries, but I’ve always wondered how it might have looked if they hadn’t been limited by budget and model manufacturing techniques.

What I did with my version was take a basic shape, the tapered oval already present in such features as the B/C deck module or the cross-section of the dorsal, and apply it to a bunch of other areas of the ship. For example, the warp nacelles when viewed from the side are now tapered ovals instead of tapered cylinders. The same is true of the secondary hull, though the front and rear have been cut off. The nacelle pylons are thicker, wider, and also tapered ovals in cross-section. The three features on the sides and bottom of the secondary hull surrounding the deflector dish are tapered ovals with blunt front ends. Matt Jeffries was an aircraft engineer, so I took a lot of my cues from the field of aeronautical design from the ‘40s through the ‘60s, where fuselages and engine housings often have some curvature and slightly more complex shapes to them, without becoming so complex that they are unnecessarily difficult to manufacture.

In addition to adding a repeating shape, I eliminated a couple of shapes that I felt were rather dated, namely the s-curved cowlings on the backs of the nacelles and the contour of the shroud over the hangar deck doors. Instead, I sliced both of them off at a straight angle. I also angled the nacelle struts backward and gave them a slight flare to blend them in better with the rest of the ship’s sweeping lines. This had the added benefit of making those big warp nacelles look a little more balanced on their supports and it gave me some extra room to play with when I get around the building the interior of the hangar deck.

Everything else is just surface detail, a lot of it extrapolated from the early pilot version of the filming model, like the spikes on the nacelles or the dark bands at the right and left edges of the saucer. I’d like to think that I’ve made all the disparate parts fit together a little better and that Matt Jeffries might have done something similar with sufficient money, time and resources.
Old August 11 2009, 04:01 AM   #145
deg3D
Commander

And a great job, IMO, you have done, eh. And an excellent approach to go about it.

And yeah, straight lines are easier and thus less expensive to build, thus what we got. We did get to see what Matt may have done differently with the Phase II Enterprise. And this was of course refined into TMP-E. The lines on TMP-E, esp. the departure in the overall shape of the nacelles, with their own angled sweeping lines at the aft ends (ala your own) really add a lot to the exceptional improved "flow" of the design.

Yours reminds me a lot of that feel, while still keep the general TOS touch-stone of the lady intact.

deg
Old August 11 2009, 04:08 AM   #146
deg3D
Commander

And yeah, I was not against updating her (again) for the film, I just did not really care for what was done with her overall. That's just an opinion (mine) though. I just think the balance could have been handled better from the neck down/back. Like your "chunky" call on the TOS dish, I feel the same about the new gal from the neck down/back.

deg
Old August 11 2009, 04:09 AM   #147
Disillusioned
Commander

I really like what both of you have done to update the old design. Seeing one of these in a new movie that had a plot that actually made sense would have been an added bonus.
Disillusioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2009, 04:53 AM   #148
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Disillusioned wrote: View Post
I really like what both of you have done to update the old design. Seeing one of these in a new movie that had a plot that actually made sense would have been an added bonus.
Man, you expect a PLOT? Sheesh, there's no pleasing some folks...
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2009, 05:13 AM   #149
Disillusioned
Commander

I'm trying to think of a movie that I watched and liked based purely on eye candy, and the only one I can think of is Starship Troopers (in name only).
Disillusioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2009, 10:54 PM   #150
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

I dig your's and Vektor's redesigns for different reasons. Variations on a classic--can't wait to see what Vektor comes up with next, and looking forward to more of your E deg!