Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 30 2008, 06:30 PM   #1
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

TV & Media Hunk of the Week Tribute: Paul Newman

This week's hunk thread is devoted (by suggestion) to Paul Newman, the actor, director and philanthropist. There is no poll.
(imdb)
Screen legend, superstar, and the man with the most famous blue eyes in movie history, Paul Newman was born in 1925 in Cleveland, Ohio, the son of a successful sporting goods store owner. He acted in grade school and high school plays and after being discharged from the navy in 1946 enrolled at Kenyon College. After graduation he spent a year at the Yale Drama School and then headed to New York, where he attended the famed New York Actors Studio.

Classically handsome and with a super abundance of sex appeal, television parts came easily and, after his first Broadway appearance in "Picnic" (1953), he was offered a movie contract by Warner Brothers. His first film, The Silver Chalice (1954) was nearly his last. He considered his performance in this costume epic to be so bad that he took out a full-page ad in a trade paper apologizing for it to anyone who might have seen it. He fared much better in his next effort, Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956), in which he portrayed boxer Rocky Graziano and drew raves from the critics for his briliant performance. He went on to become one of the top box office draws of the 1960s, starring in such superior films as The Hustler (1961), The Prize (1963), Hud (1963), Cool Hand Luke (1967) and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969). He also produced and directed many quality films, including Rachel, Rachel (1968) in which he directed wife Joanne Woodward and which received an Oscar nomination for best picture.

Nominated nine times for a best actor Oscar, he finally took one home for his performance as an aging pool shark in The Color of Money (1986). Though well into his 70s as the century drew to a close, Newman still commanded lead roles in films such as Message in a Bottle (1999). He lives with his wife in Westport, Connecticut. A caring and supremely generous man, he is the founder of "Newman's Own" a successful line of food products that has earned in excess of $100 million, every penny of which the philanthropic movie icon has donated to charity. Renowned for his sense of humor, in 1998 he quipped that he was a little embarrassed to see his salad dressing grossing more than his movies.

PS...feel free to post any photos you may have, or are your favorites, that you don't see here. For instance, I couldn't find any good shots from Absence of Malice, The Drowning Pool or Mr and Mrs. Bridge.

Somebody Up There Likes Me

The Long, Hot Summer

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

The Hustler

Sweet Bird of Youth

Hud

Torn Curtain

Cool Hand Luke

Winning

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

The Sting

Continued on next page
Old September 30 2008, 06:36 PM   #2
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: TV & Media Hunk of the Week Tribute: Paul Newman

The Towering Inferno

Slapshot

Fort Apache, The Bronx

The Verdict

The Color of Money

Fat Man and Little Boy

The Hudsucker Proxy

Nobody's Fool

Road to Perdition

Publicity shots

Old September 30 2008, 07:31 PM   #3
RevdKathy
BobTheSkutter's wife

View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile

Oh yes! Thumbs up from me for that one!
Old September 30 2008, 07:39 PM   #4
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

What a sexy, handsome, classy man. I know this will age me, but he was a movie star from a time when that meant something. Although he was never really a heartthrob of mine, he was always there. I've just remembered how much I love The Towering Inferno and how much he, alongside Steve MacQueen, will be missed. Goodbye, Mr Newman. Thanks for the stardust.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I know what you mean. ^

He was a star, when being a star actually meant something--it meant you had a gift, a presence, something that garnered affection or respect. Not like now, when people are famous simply for being famous. He had talent, class and was a great humanitarian.
Old September 30 2008, 09:11 PM   #6
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Good idea, auntiehill.

Paul Newman was one of those men who got better looking as he aged. Up until about 3-4 years ago, he was still downright breathtaking, IMO. And we are talking here about a man who at that point was in his late 70's. Not bad at all.

Plus, I think that concepts like 'modesty' and 'keeping it real' are very attractive on a movie star. Paul Newman wore both of those qualities VERY well.

All in all, a class act guy, right to the very end.

Huge thumbs up.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Caleuche
Commander

Its a little scary to realise I've only seen three of those movies!

Interesting one. As I scrolled down through the pictures I asked myself if he started his career now would he have been considered sexy by todays casting directors standards and the answer is I think is that he probably wouldn't. His sexiness like Steve McQueens and James Dean, et al comes from their attitude, personality and screen charisma whereas today it is more a purely physical thing. Someone is judged 'sexy' because he has a six pack and muscles and the right style of hair. The only modern star who can I think of who was sexy in the charisma/screen interaction way that some of these older actors were is Heath Ledger. I can't think of another one.
Caleuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2008, 09:13 PM   #8
Sheliak
Commodore

He's dead sexy!
Sheliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2008, 09:22 PM   #9
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Caleuche wrote: View Post
Someone is judged 'sexy' because he has a six pack and muscles and the right style of hair. The only modern star who can I think of who was sexy in the charisma/screen interaction way that some of these older actors were is Heath Ledger. I can't think of another one.
If you think that Paul Newman never had a six pack, you seriously need to watch The Long Hot Summer.

OH. MY. GAWD.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2008, 10:40 PM   #10
Caleuche
Commander

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
Caleuche wrote: View Post
Someone is judged 'sexy' because he has a six pack and muscles and the right style of hair. The only modern star who can I think of who was sexy in the charisma/screen interaction way that some of these older actors were is Heath Ledger. I can't think of another one.
If you think that Paul Newman never had a six pack, you seriously need to watch The Long Hot Summer.

OH. MY. GAWD.
No, I can see from above that he had a six pack! I didn't miss it! My point was he was muscular in a heathly way, not the extreme steriod-enhanced way leading men now are expected to be. Also his physical appearance was one aspect of his sexiness, not all of it (unlike the current screen himbos). Thing is, guys like him and Steve McQueen seem a lot more masculine for it.
Caleuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2008, 10:53 PM   #11
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I see what you're saying. There was a quiet, smoldering aspect to them. There was a very macho, but at same time, intellectual aspect to both Newman and McQueen. Newman was also able to convey his very sly sense of humor, where as McQueen came off as more serious and stoic--to an extent.

Very few actors today---at least those that have achieved the BIG STAR status--- project that kind of image. Kind of sad, really.
Old October 1 2008, 01:01 AM   #12
TrekNut87
Captain

View TrekNut87's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to TrekNut87

Very very handsome fella. This lady gives him Two thumbs up .
TrekNut87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 01:16 AM   #13
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Now that is what you call a man. A handsome, masculine, sexy man. Mr. Newman, Mr. Newman, you made my momma drool for you. Me, too.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 01:38 AM   #14
ladyheather69
Captain

Oh most definitely a THUMBS UP! Very sexy, very classy, very humble. And I found it wonderful that he and Joanne Woodward stayed together until his untimely death. That is sexy in and of itself---loyalty, integrity.

He will be missed.
Old October 1 2008, 03:22 AM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Thumbs as far up as thumbs will go!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote