RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 540
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old July 24 2009, 08:50 AM   #151
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions

A lot of love and work put into that. Clearly someones love TAS!
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 02:41 PM   #152
NEO f/x
Lieutenant Commander

After coming back from the TrekMovie site and reading the comments there, I get the feeling that most people there don't get it. The true Trek fan-film fans do...and I appreciate it!

Anyway, thanks for the kind words everyone...Act 2 is being prepped and it appears we are ready for the week of August 3rd!

**Update** I misstated in my original post. I did not mean to imply that TrekMovie posters were not fans....they are! And are probably the most hard-core fans you will find. Some of them simply aren't in to the 'fan-film quirks' that a lot of us are willing to tolerate. Hope no one took offense as this...I go to TrekMovie 3 times a day or so, but I am also a fan of fan films (in a way).

Last edited by NEO f/x; July 24 2009 at 06:44 PM.
NEO f/x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 03:49 PM   #153
Rattrap
Commander

NEO f/x wrote: View Post
After coming back from the TrekMovie site and reading the comments there, I get the feeling that most people there don't get it. The true Trek fans do...and I appreciate it!

Anyway, thanks for the kind words everyone...Act 2 is being prepped and it appears we are ready for the week of August 3rd!
We definitely appreciate it. I think current movies create the feeling that the way to create a retro experience is to combine flashier effects with a "See, don't you feel stupid for actually liking that junk" conceit.

No, give us our old feel, warts and all. The warts are part of the charm. You guys are nailing it. Can't wait for future releases.
Old July 24 2009, 04:31 PM   #154
Sharkey
Lieutenant

Amazing amount of work and love in this one! Funny to think how much time and effort it must have taken to match the cheap look. I mean, how many close-ups do we need of the captain pushing that damn intercom button? (something they did all the time in the original.)

My only negative comment: A four-minute Briefing Room scene in a ten-minute episode? That's a hell of a lot of nothing but talk.

Anxious for the next one.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 05:34 PM   #155
NEO f/x
Lieutenant Commander

Sharkey wrote: View Post
My only negative comment: A four-minute Briefing Room scene in a ten-minute episode? That's a hell of a lot of nothing but talk.

Anxious for the next one.
Yeah....that one was a struggle, but we cut a lot of out it. From a directorial standpoint, much of that had to be in there to set up what was going on. 4 minutes was nothing compared to what could then be cut out once you establish Glenn, the globes, and what the background of the story is.

Act 2 takes the pacing up further. We see that the energy is not only affecting people, but mechanical devices as well.
Old July 24 2009, 07:15 PM   #156
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

After coming back from the TrekMovie site and reading the comments there, I get the feeling that most people there don't get it. The true Trek fan-film fans do...and I appreciate it!

**Update** I misstated in my original post. I did not mean to imply that TrekMovie posters were not fans....they are! And are probably the most hard-core fans you will find. Some of them simply aren't in to the 'fan-film quirks' that a lot of us are willing to tolerate. Hope no one took offense as this...I go to TrekMovie 3 times a day or so, but I am also a fan of fan films (in a way).
I congratulate you for your even-handed responses to the posts over there. There's a right way and a wrong way to offer criticism, and most of the critical comments at trekmovie.com definitely fell into the "wrong" bucket (not to mention the childish, rude, and downright nasty buckets).
Old July 24 2009, 07:38 PM   #157
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Trekmovie is a pretty heavily trafficked site. Michael, you seeing any bump-up in your downloads?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 08:04 PM   #158
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

I do agree with a lot of Trekmovie comments about the Captain. Another thing, I hate the comment about "they knew exactly where to hit us". no shit, it was another Starfleet vessel firing at you. That means they will have a schematic of you in their database. Stupid Spock saying that line in TWOK.

I enjoyed the cartoon.

Last edited by ProwlAlpha; July 24 2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Forgot a part
ProwlAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 08:13 PM   #159
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

ProwlAlpha wrote: View Post
Stupid Spock saying that line in TWOK.
Loved that line in TWOK - it's really hard to care about fans nitpicking the logic of it.
Old July 24 2009, 08:27 PM   #160
NEO f/x
Lieutenant Commander

Dennis wrote: View Post
Trekmovie is a pretty heavily trafficked site. Michael, you seeing any bump-up in your downloads?
Yeah...by about 500% on the YouTube site by itself.

Also, I wouldn't be too hard on the TrekMovie fans...some of them didn't like JJ's movie, so I feel in good company

But seriously, some of the folks made good comments. And if it was childish or rude, what is the use in replying to those? Not interested in a flame war...just want to do good work that is appreciated!

Last edited by NEO f/x; July 24 2009 at 09:12 PM.
NEO f/x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 08:28 PM   #161
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

That line doesnt make sense. If it was an unknown ship firing on the Enterprise, then I would say it would make sense; but it was a Starfleet vessel firing on a Starfleet vessel.
Old July 24 2009, 10:33 PM   #162
Mallory

It was necessary exposition, at least in my eyes. I wouldn't have assumed automatically that hits on the forward edge of the saucer would have disabled the warp drive.
Old July 25 2009, 05:33 AM   #163
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

ProwlAlpha wrote: View Post
That line doesnt make sense.
It makes all the sense it has to. It's simply a character's reaction to the precision with which the other ship fired on them; it's scarcely an expression of surprised astonishment either here or in TWOK.
Old July 25 2009, 11:43 AM   #164
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Sharkey wrote: View Post
Yeah....that one was a struggle, but we cut a lot of out it. From a directorial standpoint, much of that had to be in there to set up what was going on.
I have to agree that the 4 minute scene was far too long. I could see about a half dozen ways to tighten it down, including splitting it into two scenes.

That's not to pick on this particular episode. Frankly, it's a common malady in virtually all fan films: lack of brevity. Its tough to try to pare exposition down to its bare essentials, but you just have to be brutal. A good for-instance that's all-too common in fan films and happens in the scene under discussion: character A says something about character X, so character B asks A how he knows X, which then leads to the answer. Faster and better to just have character A say, "when I worked with X, this happened". It's crisper, more professional sounding, and moves the plot along faster.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2009, 04:20 PM   #165
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

No, that line makes no sense. Of course they knew exactly where to hit them. Its another Starfleet vessel that fired on them, not some unknown vessel. It would be a correct assumption that the Reliant had plans or schematics of a Constitution class vessel in their computer, since the Enterprise had the Reliant's override codes.

In the Farragut's case, that line still didn't make sense or at least said something else to the effect.

Last edited by ProwlAlpha; July 25 2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Forgot a part
ProwlAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote