New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

View Poll Results: Which "view" is correct?
Picard's view - Right thing for the Wrong reason 11 35.48%
Guinan's view - Prematurely forced an unnecessary encounter 4 12.90%
Additional view - Q was doing the best thing for the Federation 16 51.61%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 22 2008, 05:45 AM   #16
RaymondJames
Captain

Re: Q Who? - What were Q's Motives?

personally I feel is was neithe rof these options/choices. I feel Q did it for pure entertainment, The federation/Starfleet was a"super power" going aroun dlike they can take on anything, solve any problem and are the top. Q gave them a slap in the face saying look idiots your not un beatable, there are things out there you don't know how to handle.

I think of it as Picard being a child who for some reason though he couldn't be burned by fire, and up until that point the heat was tolerable but Q put Picard's hand right into the fire (borg encounter) and it hurt like hell, a wake up call at its most shocking.
RaymondJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2008, 07:15 AM   #17
shatastrophic
Commander

RaymondJames wrote: View Post
personally I feel is was neithe rof these options/choices. I feel Q did it for pure entertainment, The federation/Starfleet was a"super power" going aroun dlike they can take on anything, solve any problem and are the top. Q gave them a slap in the face saying look idiots your not un beatable, there are things out there you don't know how to handle.
I tend to agree with this. I think up until this point in the series the crew, mainly Picard, were able to get past him. Because of this Picard and Co said his assistance is not required, he wanted to show them it was. This was something he could do and force a win for himself from Picard. But I also agree with Q's knowledge of the future. Maybe thats why he is always nonchalant about everything, he's been there and done that.
Old June 22 2008, 03:21 PM   #18
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

matthunter wrote: View Post
If Q is indeed omniscient, then he was already aware that Picard was capable of passing his test in All Good Things. Since that indicates to the Q that humanity are potentially on an evolutionary track that will result in them becoming equals to the Continuum, Q may have had a vested interest in giving them a slight helping hand - after all, the Borg aren't likely to evolve much further than they already have, humanity very well might.
I think that Q indulges in partial truths where his own omniscience is concerned. Although he is able to predict and manipulate humans, he doesn't really know what they're going to do. I think his fascination with Picard has as much to do with Picard's overall maturity - there are buttons Q can push, but overall Picard is the most resistant to him.
Other advanced beings have indicated humanity's potentials, but in Q's case there is a real perplexment. Q draw their energy from chaos and impulse and almost just a pure evolvement of the id. I think his motives in dealing with Picard and Co. always were to study that completely alien balance that evolved humans occasionally attain. In a way Q's mission was the same as the Enterprise, he is almost an inversion of the whole concept. One man instead of thousands, self interest being the rule, interfering and involving oneself being the cheif way of attaining experiences and information.
So I went with the Guinan choice. Though it may have worked out well for humanity. The Borgs' constant assimilation could have easily given them a total battle dominance which they nearly had anyway, had they encountered humanity in a few hundred years, it would be a roll of the dice whether humanity or the Borg would have advanced relatively further.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2008, 10:47 PM   #19
Red Ranger
Admiral

I voted for option 3, although I think there's a bit of option 2 there, and as some have said, Q did it for his own amusement, too. However, I think it amuses the Q to help humanity advance as part of a long-range plan whose real intentions only they know.

You see, by forcing the Federation to face the Borg then rather than later, they helped the Federation eventually learn how to combat a superior enemy in the form of the Borg. And the fact that they developed other advanced defenses to deal with the Borg means they could take advantage of these new defenses when it came time to fight the Dominion, as well. Think of the Defiant and its quantum torpedoes, which helped it ace Dominion fighter ships.

I see Q as a mischievious, almost sadistic instructor, like a Marine Corps drill instructor or like Professor Kingsfield from The Paper Chase -- filled with good intentions but not caring to sugarcoat their brand of instruction.

Remember, Q did say in All Good Things that the "trial never ends," and that the Q never reached a verdict in their first appearance. So the forced encounter with the Borg was part of this long trial.

Red Ranger

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2008, 01:58 AM   #20
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I think he did the right thing for the wrong reason. Starfleet was all nice and comfortable, and Picard did have the air of, "We will be fine without your magical powers! We can handle ourselves!". I think this sort of arrogance pissed Q off, and he wanted to show them that they weren't the biggest bullies on the block.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote