IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old May 23 2008, 07:52 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek The Tour' To Tour Again

After settling a financial dispute with the owners of the Queen Mary and after a change in ownership, Star Trek the Tour is ready to travel again.

As reported by The District Weekly, a $200,000 debt for security, lodging and food kept the tour from departing Long Beach after the show closed in March. "There is still a lot of equipment over there, because [if] we let them take the equipment then we don’t have anything to hold over them," said a source, speaking before the dispute was settled. "It is not a pleasant situation as I understand it."

Complicating matters was a change in ownership, from SEE Touring, who owned Star Trek the Tour, to Plainfield Asset Management. "Plainfield put up the money for the promoter and they got into a dispute, the exact extent of which I'm not familiar with–nor do I care to be," said Joe Benzivenga, who works for Plainfield. "They have been going back and forth for probably the past two months. They actually, finally reached an agreement this past Sunday which in turn resulted in Plainfield acquiring everything, rather than just having a security interest in [the exhibit]. It's my understanding that they have a new promoter who is going to pick up and run the show."

Paul Konapelsky, general counsel for Save the Queen (owners of the Queen Mary) said "We reached an agreement with Plainfield. They paid us yesterday, and they are going to have the dome loaded out by June 6."

To read more, head to the article located here. Thanks to Shatna for the tip.

Old May 25 2008, 01:32 AM   #2
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Re: 'Star Trek The Tour' To Tour Again

Great, something Trek related to look forward to.
Old May 25 2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

This is exactly why I checked out the tour at its first stop. I was afraid this kind of bullshit might prevent it from completing its five year mission.
Old May 30 2008, 01:29 AM   #4
saarlacpit
Cadet

I am concerned that IF the Tour does actually start again, why is it going to San Francisco next? Los Angeles is not that far away. Why not the east coast or middle of the country. Also, the next cities, Minneapolis, Chicago and Detroit are all within a few hundred miles of each other. Use some logic and spread the tour around a little PLEASE.
Old June 6 2008, 09:06 PM   #5
Biggshow
Fleet Captain

It's a bus-and-truck show. That means it's all travelling by road. It is easier and cheaper to do short drives (not to mention greener), put up shop , and then move to the next fairly close destination. I'm guessing it'll be Seattle next.
Old June 7 2008, 05:59 AM   #6
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Biggshow wrote: View Post
I'm guessing it'll be Seattle next.
I hope so!
Old June 9 2008, 06:09 AM   #7
PhaserJunky
Ensign

I've heard some rumors that the Tour might re-launch in San Diego. Has anyone heard anything?
Old June 13 2008, 04:52 AM   #8
PhaserJunky
Ensign

I've heard some more information about the tour. Looks like it may really launch in San Diego and soon! Also, since SEE is no longer involved, they've gotten another more experienced company to take over. So the tour may be new and improved when it launches.

I'm very excited! Especially since I never got a chance to visit it when it was in Long Beach...
Old June 13 2008, 06:00 AM   #9
PhaserJunky
Ensign

Sorry for the multiple posts, but just found out some more info.

It's set to open June 21st at the San Diego Air and Space Museum (http://www.aerospacemuseum.org), but nothing official on their website yet.

Looks like it will be a great venue for the exhibit though and probably a much better location than Long Beach. It's a beautiful building with real spacecraft for a great comparison to Star Trek.

Also, tickets are suppose to be cheaper than Long Beach, and they even have free parking.

It has been renamed "Star Trek: The Exhibition."

Again, very excited!
Old June 13 2008, 03:40 PM   #10
Rabittooth
Commander

Wonder how old I'll be by the time it reaches New York.

-Rabittooth
Old June 13 2008, 11:53 PM   #11
PhaserJunky
Ensign

Hi All! It's official, the Star Trek: The Exhibition will open on June 21st at the San Diego Air and Space Museum. From their video, it looks pretty darn cool.

Check it out:

http://www.aerospacemuseum.org/

or

http://www.startrektickets.com
Old June 14 2008, 01:34 AM   #12
Biggshow
Fleet Captain

HUH. I wonder if it will still be there when the Comic-Con is in town. That would be an excellent side trip.
Old July 10 2008, 06:31 AM   #13
PhaserJunky
Ensign

Biggshow wrote: View Post
HUH. I wonder if it will still be there when the Comic-Con is in town. That would be an excellent side trip.
Yeah, it will still be in town when Comic-con is going on. It's definitely worth going to if you're in SD. Lots of great and interactive stuff to see!