Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 17 2008, 09:05 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Orci And Kurtzman On Why A Prequel To Original Series

Unexplored territory made for a storytelling opportunity when it came to deciding on what time frame to use for the new Star Trek movie.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, there were several reasons why a prequel to the original series era was chosen for Star Trek XI. "We all had to agree that area would interest us, and we're all fans to varying degrees," explained Roberto Orci. "Everyone could agree that the original series was something that we all loved dearly. Also there seemed to be the fact that Roddenberry had done exactly as you described, so it would have been doing it again. Thirdly, there seemed to be a genuine gap in what we knew about these characters' origins. It wasn't just remaking an origin story, it was telling it for the first time. There seemed to be unexplored territory. We couldn't believe it when we sat down to think about it."

Alex Kurtzman agreed with Orci. "It was shocking that after forty years that there was still a story to tell about the characters that started it all. That alone was a reason to do it."

Another reason to start at the beginning of Star Trek had to do with attracting new fans to the franchise. "Creatively that was a reason to do it and on the other side of it, we wanted to introduce 'Star Trek' again to a new generation and the people who had been around who felt that they were never able to jump onto the bandwagon because they felt they'd missed too much," said Orci. "The idea of making an introduction that anyone can come into, and find out what it is that all of us love about 'Star Trek', without having to know anything about 'Star Trek', was something we just couldn't pass up. The two of those together made it inescapable."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old June 18 2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Pioneer
Captain

Re: Orci And Kurtzman On Why A Prequel To Original Series

Now see, that makes perfect sense to me. His logic is impeccable.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old June 18 2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Augustus
Fleet Captain

No it does make sense. I mean, you have legendary TV characters and know a ton about their time together, yet we do know nothing about how they got together or before that.

Now if the movie is horrible, well their reasoning will be forgotten. But if it is great, as I hope it to be, then these guys are brilliant!!
Old June 19 2008, 01:33 AM   #4
Procutus
Admiral

I just hope that they don't overlook Kirk's established history, prior to becoming captain of the Big E: His first assignment out of the Academy was on the U.S.S. Farragut, and he also served on the U.S.S. Republic as well). Although I have no problem with the idea of seeing Kirk and Spock at the Academy, logically, there's no way he could go from cadet to captain without stops in between.

That said, I'm still excited about this film.
Old June 19 2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

^^ The funny thing about Kirk is that his backstory is so muddled with inconsistent and/or vague facts that you can really do a LOT with young Kirk.
Old June 20 2008, 03:27 AM   #6
Procutus
Admiral

^^^

Good point.