Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 15 2008, 07:21 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Rod Roddenberry Unveils Plaque At Vulcan

Rod Roddenberry, son of Gene Roddenberry, is in Vulcan, Alberta, Canada this weekend to unveil a plaque to honor his father.

As reported by CTV.ca, Roddenberry was in attendance at the fifteenth year of the annual Vulcan celebration, which doubles the size of the small town of two thousand residents.

"It was beautiful," said Roddenberry. "It's a tasteful and classy thing they did. I appreciated the town of Vulcan for doing it. I very much appreciate this tribute to my father, who would be humbled by the continued popularity of Star Trek in big cities and small towns around the world." Roddenberry went on to add that, "I've never seen an entire town that has converted itself into a Star Trek universe. I'm shocked by it and I love it."

"Vulcan is proud to be coincidentally associated with the Star Trek phenomenon, said Dayna Dickens, Vulcan tourism coordinator. "We are thrilled to host Eugene Roddenberry Jr. at this year's convention, and especially to have him unveil a memorial plaque dedicated to his father." Vulcan has been trying to get the producers of Star Trek XI to premiere the film in their town.

In addition to the unveiling of the plaque, events which took place were: a sky diving demonstration by "The Flying Trekkies", who landed on the main street of Vulcan dressed in Star Trek costumes; the official opening of a large collection of Star Trek memorabilia and collectibles donated to the town by Star Trek fan Albert Cave; a Star Trek Intergalactic Fan Fiction Exhibition where Star Trek hobbies, artwork and fan fiction was shared with fellow fans; and an outdoor event stage featured Klingon karaoke and a Star Trek inspired fashion show.

To read more, head to the articles located here and here. The plaque can be seen by heading to the article located at TrekMovie.com.

Old June 15 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
cubbie
Vice Admiral

Re: Rod Roddenberry Unveils Plaque At Vulcan

The flying trekkies? Reminds me of the flying elvis' from Honeymoon in Vegas
Old June 16 2008, 03:59 AM   #3
Pioneer
Captain

Re: Rod Roddenberry Unveils Plaque At Vulcan

And yet, the event wasn't canceled due to low attendance. They had over 2000 attendees and they're a little dinky Canadian town out in the middle of nowhere. But a big US city like Dallas Texas couldn't draw a crowd. Hey pardner, everything's bigger in TEXAS. Yep. Right. I can smell the bullshit way up here in Pennsylvania.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)