Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old June 14 2008, 09:43 PM   #91
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

Re: Earth

It just occured to me. What if they entire journey to Earth...what eventually leads to a truce with the cylons was just a way to unite us and show us that we did it in the past...we did it in the present and we'll do it again. Just like little Adama said. We need to change.
And now for the real twist. Yes Earth is iratiated. But they realize that they cant stay there and the Kobal is really their Earth. For both of them to exist on...
Old June 14 2008, 09:47 PM   #92
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

watermelony2k wrote: View Post
just because the area they touched down on was a raddiated piece of crap doesn't mean that the rest of the planet is the same. More rural areas away from previously heavily-populated urban locations have probably recovered faster.
Indeed...if that is the Brooklyn Bridge, then they're within spitting distance of New Jersey...that would explain the irradiated soil.
Old June 14 2008, 10:29 PM   #93
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

The 13th tribe did go back to Earth a long time ago. Perhaps they thrived there for several thousand years and then war broke out between them. Perhaps they made their own Cylons and the Earth was nuked a few centuries before the events in Revelations. That would account for there still being radiation. If Earth was devastated millenia ago the radiation would be gone by now, right?
Old June 14 2008, 10:37 PM   #94
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

scotthm wrote: View Post
]It would be pointless to call it "Earth" for the past several years, and have it not be our Earth.

---------------
Yeah, except there's that pesky remark of David Eick's:

David Eick: At the end of season three, we showed you a glimpse of Earth. You actually saw it and I think you will see more of it. We will get to a place that we're going to call Earth, by the end of the series. And yeah, you'll get to see it.

It could be "Earth as we know it" - but then, it doesn't really matter all that much what planet this is - it's their final destination. It's "Earth."
Old June 14 2008, 11:17 PM   #95
Acidrain
Commander

watermelony2k wrote: View Post
just because the area they touched down on was a raddiated piece of crap doesn't mean that the rest of the planet is the same. More rural areas away from previously heavily-populated urban locations have probably recovered faster.
I would have to agree, they landed on this spot though there is no indication that the entire Earth is like that. Even from Orbital screen shots it doesn't look that bad and why the location in which they landed on?
Old June 15 2008, 12:05 AM   #96
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

A devastated empty Earth was the most predictable outcome, at least to me. Ever since they mentioned that they will find Earth I expected this. But a pleasant surprise was that they arrived there with half a season to go.
Old June 15 2008, 12:44 AM   #97
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

^ A devestated, empty Earth was the only real possibility I didn't think of.

ETA: One possibility I haven't seen mentioned: Maybe it's Mars.
Old June 15 2008, 04:40 AM   #98
Aragorn
Admiral

The year on earth is 2009, and this was the "change" that Obama promised.
Old June 15 2008, 05:17 AM   #99
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

There might still be ocean life. Maybe they could get some fishing in. Beats algae.

Tigh could go crazy and chase after a white whale, taking Starbuck along with him.
Old June 15 2008, 06:04 AM   #100
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Cyrus wrote: View Post
A devastated empty Earth was the most predictable outcome, at least to me. Ever since they mentioned that they will find Earth I expected this. But a pleasant surprise was that they arrived there with half a season to go.
Really?

As soon as the ships started breaking into the earths atmosphere I started screaming at my Monitor... Gil Jerrad! Dinosaurs! the middle ages! 2020? ...Then I started looking for the statue of Liberty because it's THE PLANET OF THE APES!

It's nice to blame it on Obama, but Nixon is where my money is on after reading Warren Ellis blaming a dysfunctional timeline on tricky Dick wining out in 1960 in last weeks New Universal.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; June 15 2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old June 15 2008, 06:23 AM   #101
Tarek71
Commander

I immediately thought of Terra. Randolph Mantooth did tell TOS Apollo that that world was sometimes called Earth. TOS Galactica stopped their world war by blowing the Eastern Alliance missiles out of the sky. But suppose they werent there to stop it this time, and the two sides annilated each other?

Could still be our Earth of course. Nevertheless, there are possibilities.

And Starbucks disappearence is still unexplained. Her ship apparently destroyed, a brand new one apparently constructed to duplicate it. It and only it can pick up this "colonial signal" (signals which our Earth does not, and would not use). Certainly a nuked civilization didnt save Starbuck, build a new viper or send signals that only one ship could pick up.

Last edited by Tarek71; June 15 2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old June 15 2008, 08:39 AM   #102
hxclespaulplayer
Commander

I WAS SPOILT - after ages of doing it to other, karma finally did me in (I thought the title meant "up until but not including revelations"). Damn! Oh well... up until reading this, I thought the "final four" were the titular revalation, I still rate this an excellent (oops not the poll thread)
Old June 15 2008, 08:46 AM   #103
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I did too, because that's what the wording does mean.

Up to Revelations does not mean including Revelations.

Well I suppose it could, it could have meant up to the conclusion of revelations which is just insane. If it becomes a treatise on the entire season why even bring up a single episode as a marked threshold?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Old June 15 2008, 09:10 AM   #104
Skywalker
Admiral

That still of the destroyed bridge makes me think of the Golden Gate Bridge, rather than the Brooklyn Bridge.
Old June 15 2008, 10:31 AM   #105
N-121973
Commander

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
spocksbrain wrote: View Post
Well, in the original, they came across an Earth-like planet, Terra, which was pretty much desolate and blown-up just like we just saw last night.
Terra wasn't either of those things. It was a thriving world filled with life, just like Earth.
Actually Spocksbrain is referring to a colony of Terra's called Perradeen which featured in the feature-length 'Greetings from Earth' episode. Starbuck went exploring in the ruins of a city there that had been decimated by the Eastern Alliance in a WMD attack. Apollo speculated that it involved either neutron or bacterialogical warfare. In reality Dirk Benedict and a portion of the crew traveleld to Canada (prophetic eh?) to the site of Expo '67 and filmed in and around the remains of the British and French exhibits. Some of that footage was later recycled as New Chicago in Buck Rogers.

Last edited by N-121973; June 15 2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: spelling errors