Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old June 14 2008, 04:48 PM   #76
Assimilated Tom
Vice Admiral

Re: Earth

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Maybe Earth had its own Cylon rebellion.
Isn't that kind of the point all along? All this has happened before...

It happened to the 13th tripe and then they sent back 5 cylons to do it again or something.
Or perhaps the humans actually evolved on Earth, migrated to Kobol, and then to the Colonies. The faction who migrated to Kobol was responsible for destroying the Earth, and there's another faction of humans who views the Colonials much like the Colonials view the Cylons.
Old June 14 2008, 05:11 PM   #77
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

How long does an area stay a nuclear wasteland? If this is Earth, and its out future, it'd be something like 6000-8000 years in the future, yeah? That far in the future, would geiger counters still be set off my radioactivity? I guess if there's no one around to clean it up, it'd just stay that way.

I'm not nitpicking, I'm just a dope and generally am curious.
Old June 14 2008, 05:26 PM   #78
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
How long does an area stay a nuclear wasteland? If this is Earth, and its out future, it'd be something like 6000-8000 years in the future, yeah?
I realize this is stretching things a bit, but if Admiral Adama's bio screen as seen in "Hero" is any indication, we are now 20,000 years into the future.

Of course the Earth was probably not a wasteland all that time. The ruins are impossible to pin down as to a date, as there is nothing left but unidentifiable junk.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old June 14 2008, 05:42 PM   #79
Mal
Rear Admiral

Philo wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Fixed it for you.

Obviously, that structure on the right is the Tillman Reclamation Plant.

awesome!
Old June 14 2008, 06:13 PM   #80
Hermiod
Admiral

^Genius!
Old June 14 2008, 06:20 PM   #81
Phyzzx
Lieutenant

spocksbrain wrote: View Post
Though this is "new" Battlestar Galactica, a lot of things in the main story have followed the original BSG, such as going to Kobol to find the way to Earth, the Adm. Cain story, etc. Well, in the original, they came across an Earth-like planet, Terra, which was pretty much desolate and blown-up just like we just saw last night. Though I suspect that this really is Earth, it could very possibly be the new version of Terra, some kind of outpost on the way to the "real" Earth. I'm going to have to dig out my season 2 DVDs because I don't remember paying attention to what the constellations looked like, I just listened to the names ... what if the constellations shown on Kobol don't look like the ones that we know in real life? Then it's definitely Terra.
Or, Earth and this "colony" are close enough in space that the nav computer is still able to match up constellations.
Old June 14 2008, 06:45 PM   #82
multitrek
Lieutenant

Could be some space-faring pre-Plato civilisation that has wiped itself out with some survivors on Earth and other planet. Galactica crew cleans up the planet (radiation). Galactica people could be what Plato later calls Atlanteans. They then mix with some survivors through time (post-apocaliptic primitive groups we have yet to see on the show). Hides some of its own technology that gets forgotten with generations passing. Technology is found by some military body or archeologists at the beginning of the 20th century, hence our technological development in the last hundred years and the similitude between Galactica radios and 1950s radios. We started by secretly copying their tech and evolved our own actual tech from there... but they figured out the transistor first.
Old June 14 2008, 07:33 PM   #83
Lookingglassman
Admiral

It is the Earth. The constellations matched up from the ones they got from Kobol. I read somewhere it is a 22nd Century earth though. I cant wait to find out what happened to it.
Old June 14 2008, 07:38 PM   #84
Starwind
Fleet Captain

Phyzzx wrote: View Post

Or, Earth and this "colony" are close enough in space that the nav computer is still able to match up constellations.
The only system close enough for the constellations to match is Alpha Centauri, which is a trinary. Everyone seemed to know Earth was a single-star system.
Old June 14 2008, 07:43 PM   #85
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Did the Constellations actually match up with real life? If so, then it must be Earth. Maybe the final Cylon is here? I can't wait until Season 4.5.
Old June 14 2008, 08:59 PM   #86
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Spider wrote: View Post
I've always felt they'd find Earth in ruins because it fit the mood of the show, so I'm not really suprised.
Same here. I felt kinda meh, predictable, that's all they can think of to do?

Dealing with a populated Earth, but with a population and/or a mindset we don't expect, could have been a truly ass-kicking way to do a 180 for the balance of the season. But now I'm just left with an overwhelming sense of ennui about the rest of the season, which maybe is a good thing considering how long the wait will be.

I do want to find out who the Fifth is, and in what sense the Final Four (Five?) have "been to Earth." Maybe the Fifth Cylon is the sole surviving inhabitant of Earth and will stumble out of a hole in the ground to greet everyone in the next episode?
It was "our" Earth, they showed what was left of some bridge in NYC. If you can't see that you haven't watched enough movies or need glasses, or both.
I also instantly "read" that as "Brooklyn Bridge," and several people in this forum have said the same. If RDM did not mean to give that impression, he should have chosen to show us different looking ruins, that would give no strong impression that can easily be derived from the many times we've all seen similar scenarios. Anyone familiar with popular culture should be able to figure all this out, and I can't believe RDM could be so clueless that it was an accident, but who knows, it's possible it was.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; June 14 2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old June 14 2008, 09:17 PM   #87
Verteron
Rear Admiral

It's definitely Earth.

What I want to know is what happened -- and when.

Considering the lush visions of a forested Earth that our chaps previously experienced when they saw the constellations, it's a shame to see the old girl in such a dilapidated state.

I suppose what has happened happened some ages ago (I think we'd be talking about longer than the 22nd century, I think if the year is 22,000 then it's the 221st century), or, there's a slim chance it could've happened very recently.

I wonder if ultimately they could all just go back and settle on Kobol? It remains a lush, non-irradiated world with a functioning ecosystem that seems to have recovered from whatever horrors it was previously subjected to...
Old June 14 2008, 09:17 PM   #88
Hobs202
Commodore

Here's the question:

Is the planet still habitable? It didn't look like a nuclear hell-hole from orbit. This would indicated that if there was a nuclear war, it happened a while ago. At least long enough for the radiation clouds to dissipate and for a certain amount of green plants to grow.

So, will the crew stay on Earth and try to make do with what they've got, or will they move on in hopes of finding a better planet?

From now on, I will not try to reason with the idiots I encounter. I will dismiss them by waving my paw and saying "Bah"
--- Dogbert
Old June 14 2008, 09:17 PM   #89
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
I think they may remain cagey about showing us a recognizable globe - not because this is a "red herring planet" and they haven't found really found "Earth" yet, but to maintain some ambiguity about whether what they call "Earth" actually is our Earth.
It would be pointless to call it "Earth" for the past several years, and have it not be our Earth. It's not a question of where, but when.

---------------
Old June 14 2008, 09:26 PM   #90
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral

just because the area they touched down on was a raddiated piece of crap doesn't mean that the rest of the planet is the same. More rural areas away from previously heavily-populated urban locations have probably recovered faster.