Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old June 14 2008, 07:58 AM   #61
Endymion
Captain

View Endymion's Twitter Profile
Re: Earth

I remember hearing a Ron Moore interview, where he said he was fairly sure that the Fleet would reach Earth before the show ended. He said that the Fleet reaching Earth would be the end of the show, although he didn't know how many episodes that story might last, implying that it was possible they'd reach Earth before the last episode. I think this is Earth, but we'll see. Maybe RDM will give us something in the upcoming podcasts.
Old June 14 2008, 08:33 AM   #62
TheOnes
Lieutenant

Did anybody notice the crucifix in the background of Earth, possibly indicating that the one god the Cylons and Baltar worship is the Christianity God?
Old June 14 2008, 09:20 AM   #63
Aragorn
Admiral

You know, post-apocalyptic Anchorage just doesn't have the same ring to it. Who cares if it's NYC or not? These type of settings always require recognizable skylines.

How about if Earth was a Cylon homeworld and had a human rebellion?
Old June 14 2008, 09:53 AM   #64
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I'm about 96% certain that what we saw was indeed Earth, and if it wasn't a devastated New York we were looking at, then it could have been San Francisco, IMO (yeah, there's yer Starfleet HQ for ya--take that!).

And if it is truly Earth, then we naturally have more questions than answers, the main one being "What happened here?"
Old June 14 2008, 01:14 PM   #65
Romulan_spy
Commodore

I think it is the real Earth. We know that it takes time for radio signals to travel through space so any signal is going to come from the past. If the fleet were say 30 light years away, then the signal was coming from 30 years ago. Maybe earth was ok when the signal was sent but suffered an apocalyptical disaster before the fleet arrived.

Here is my theory: earth is in the middle of its own cylon rebellion and it sent the signal because they needed the fleet to come home to help them. That's why earth needed both cylons and humans to return together because only both humans and cylons working together will be able to get earth humans and earth cylons to also make peace.
Old June 14 2008, 02:10 PM   #66
SciFi75
Captain

It's Earth. The City that you saw wasn't destroyed. It's Detroit. It always looks like that.
Old June 14 2008, 02:38 PM   #67
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Maybe this isn't the real Earth, just an outpost of the lost tribe or something. The final Cylon is on this planet, something like that? I could only make a tiny bit of some landmasses out. But I did think of New York as soon as I saw the landscape, mainly because of the bridge and the set up.
Old June 14 2008, 02:48 PM   #68
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I also had a look at the book Lee was reading, and it just looked like Kobol to me. It didn't share anything with the ruins and there wasn't any bridge.
Old June 14 2008, 02:54 PM   #69
Hermiod
Admiral

My bet is that this really is Earth.

It's not clear from the episode how long ago this happened, but somehow sufficient plant life must still exist on the planet as the air was still breathable.
Old June 14 2008, 04:03 PM   #70
N-121973
Commander

You are aware of course that if this isn't Earth that the Voyager scenario is still a possibility. Over the course of the next ten episodes they piece things together, come to the conclusion that they got off at the wrong stop and get back in their ships and head out into space. And, once again, the final scene will be of the fleet approaching Earth ala Voyager. A variation of this might show them standing on The Earth with them gazing out over green fields and/or an intact city with Laura Roslin's grave by them, perhaps her funeral.
And wait a minute, I know how to answer some Earth questions in that context. The last shot could be the camera closing in on the inscription on thew tombstone and it could read something like "Here Lies Laura Roslin, President of the Colonies. 6730CE - 6775CE (emboldened for emphasis)". The dates on the tomb, clearly marked using the present calendar system would indicate whether the BSG Earth is a future Earth and if so people can guess what happened.
On another note I think there'll be survivors living a meagre existence found amidst the ruins and among them will be the 12th Cylon.

Last edited by N-121973; June 14 2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old June 14 2008, 04:12 PM   #71
Slappy The Vulcan
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Slappy The Vulcan wrote: View Post
Yes its earth...there was a frackkin CAR frame on the beach, so this tells me 2 things 1. ITS EARTH, OUR EARTH!!! 2. IRAN GETS NUKES
We've never seen cars before in this series, you must be right!

Touche! really, how many human planets with that level of development or we going to see in this series?, Kobol didn't seem to have any "Advanced" ruins on it (save the hologram chamber) I think it would be silly for it not to be earth, (unless its the cylons homeworld) and it turns out theyve been on the run from something, which I doubt. I'm pretty sure this is earth, and that we meet our end not too long from now.
Old June 14 2008, 04:20 PM   #72
spocksbrain
Lieutenant Commander

Though this is "new" Battlestar Galactica, a lot of things in the main story have followed the original BSG, such as going to Kobol to find the way to Earth, the Adm. Cain story, etc. Well, in the original, they came across an Earth-like planet, Terra, which was pretty much desolate and blown-up just like we just saw last night. Though I suspect that this really is Earth, it could very possibly be the new version of Terra, some kind of outpost on the way to the "real" Earth. I'm going to have to dig out my season 2 DVDs because I don't remember paying attention to what the constellations looked like, I just listened to the names ... what if the constellations shown on Kobol don't look like the ones that we know in real life? Then it's definitely Terra.
Old June 14 2008, 04:23 PM   #73
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

Another possibility is that this really is still the distant past. It makes no sense that in the far future a worship of ancient Greek gods will come back into vogue and that a Temple of Aurora would be a prominent feature on earth. I do think humans originated on earth in the nuBSG universe, but I think this groups that has made it back may still be our ancestors.

The kink in this theory in the Bob Dylan music and the cultural similarities which make it seem more likely that the Colonists are our descendents.

Another, far reaching possibility is that the Ship of Lights people visit earth in our future and are revealed to be the origins of the Greek gods. Cylons are invented and rebel, causing a massive destruction on earth. The Ship-of-Lights people save those humans and take them to Kobol, where man and the gods lived in harmoney together. The Ship-of-Lights people become the protectors of Kobol and take on the title "Lords of Kobol".
Old June 14 2008, 04:23 PM   #74
Philo
Commodore

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Fixed it for you.

Obviously, that structure on the right is the Tillman Reclamation Plant.

Old June 14 2008, 04:28 PM   #75
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

spocksbrain wrote: View Post
Well, in the original, they came across an Earth-like planet, Terra, which was pretty much desolate and blown-up just like we just saw last night.
Terra wasn't either of those things. It was a thriving world filled with life, just like Earth.