TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old June 19 2008, 10:44 PM   #151
Swarles Barkley
Commodore

Re: Earth

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
I think they may remain cagey about showing us a recognizable globe - not because this is a "red herring planet" and they haven't found really found "Earth" yet, but to maintain some ambiguity about whether what they call "Earth" actually is our Earth.
I think they just didn't want to ruin the surprise that Earth was a destroyed Earth by giving it way through orbital shots. They wanted to keep it a secret until they landed and reveal it that way.

Mr Awe
From orbit it would be easy to show land masses without enough detail to spoil the condition of the civilization. Just say it was a relatively high orbit. Not saying you're wrong, just saying there are still a lot of possibilities still on the table.
Old June 20 2008, 09:46 PM   #152
vedek
Commander

View vedek's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to vedek Send a message via AIM to vedek Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to vedek Send a message via Yahoo to vedek

I am thinking 2 possibilities:

1. It is indeed Earth and all thier hard work and effort is in vain. Basically, they have nothing left, no where to go. Thier Earth Brothers are dead. End of Story.

or

2. They are being misled by the Cylons. This is not Earth, its a Earth-like planet. It's a trap to lure the Colonial's to thier doom. The Cylon did tell Starbuck she was the harbinger of Death.

Anyone? Anyone?
Old June 20 2008, 10:00 PM   #153
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

^^^

Can't it be both?
Old June 20 2008, 11:30 PM   #154
Dark Gilligan
Writer

vedek wrote: View Post
Anyone? Anyone?
It's Earth. The metaphor here is that the destruction of the planet symbolizes the destruction of the Colonials' beliefs. Everything they thought was true has been turned upside down. Pythia's scriptures are wrong, either purposely or simply because history was lost to the ages. Earth isn't the 13th colony, it's the homeworld.
Old June 21 2008, 12:58 AM   #155
IvosevicJ
Rear Admiral

The touch down screen is definitely NYC. I thought the island in the distance with the crumbling skyscrapers was too close to Manhattan to be coincidental.

I think this has to be Earth anyway, as the fourt of the Final Five cylons are supposed to know the way there and pointed it out. It looks frankly like the Cylons win. They are coming to terms with the Cylons and merging their societies in some way, which will include accepting the beliefs of the Cylons. After all, that is already happening.

Am I the only one who DIDN'T like the cliffhanger?
Old June 21 2008, 07:42 AM   #156
hxclespaulplayer
Commander

IvosevicJ wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who DIDN'T like the cliffhanger?
No, I either expected (from spoilers) that the Roslin kidnapping would end on a cliffhanger, or the on-earth segment lasting at least a few more minutes, like New Caprica in LDyB. In fact, I bet there's a blooper real with Adama pounding the ground, Charlton Heston, Planet of the Apes style :P
Old June 22 2008, 12:17 AM   #157
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The touch down screen is definitely NYC.

Looks more like Sydney.
Old June 22 2008, 01:23 AM   #158
Hobs202
Commodore

2. They are being misled by the Cylons. This is not Earth, its a Earth-like planet. It's a trap to lure the Colonial's to thier doom. The Cylon did tell Starbuck she was the harbinger of Death.
I think we can count this one out. D'Anna could have just nuked the whole Fleet like she threatened to do, but she chose not to.

Also, the Cylons looked just a surprised as the humans when they got to Earth.

From now on, I will not try to reason with the idiots I encounter. I will dismiss them by waving my paw and saying "Bah"
--- Dogbert
Old June 22 2008, 01:27 AM   #159
Hobs202
Commodore

Mitty wrote: View Post
I wonder if 4x11 will pick up directly after this scene, or if there'll be an explanatory type voice over from Roslyn or Adama or someone...

"We've discovered that the 13th Colony split into hundreds of nation countries. There was a war between several of the major powers, which killed off large proportions of the population. We have however discovered a family in an area called "Walnut Grove" who have invited us to stay nearby. A local shopkeeper called "Nels" is also being helpful.
Actually, they find a giant Twinkie factory.

From now on, I will not try to reason with the idiots I encounter. I will dismiss them by waving my paw and saying "Bah"
--- Dogbert
Old June 22 2008, 02:19 AM   #160
Gregsmack
Captain

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Anyone? Anyone?
It's Earth. The metaphor here is that the destruction of the planet symbolizes the destruction of the Colonials' beliefs. Everything they thought was true has been turned upside down. Pythia's scriptures are wrong, either purposely or simply because history was lost to the ages. Earth isn't the 13th colony, it's the homeworld.
Good point about Pythia.

For a lot of the season it's been shown how the One God appears to be more powerful (or at least be present in some form) than the Lords of Kobol (who, really, have never been shown to exist on any level). If Pythia is a gospel for scriptures that promote the Lords of Kobol, then how can she be trusted 100%? Maybe we are going to find out not only that the Lord of Kobol aren't real, but the scriptures are around 50/50 in their fact-to-BS ratio. In the end, the Colonials are going to eventually drift from their Kobollian faith, which the show has been showing, and the hogwash/false prophecy/whatever regarding the gospel of Pythia is going to be one of the final nails in the coffin.
Old June 22 2008, 02:46 AM   #161
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Dodana Selloi claimed to be in contact with Zeus, who passed on a message to D'anna from the Cylon God by way of Selloi. I'd say that the Oracles seem to be the ones with the best understanding of what's going on in the hereafter, so it looks like the Cylon God and the Lords of Kobol are both sitting up on their clouds.
Old June 22 2008, 03:07 AM   #162
Gregsmack
Captain

Good point. I forgot about that. That was in one of the New Caprica episodes, right?
Old June 22 2008, 03:17 AM   #163
kipron
Rear Admiral

^ Ya, Exodus I iirc.

I can't help but wonder if there's some deeper link between Oracles and Hybrids. They both share an uncanny talent for precognition, as if they're getting information from the same source, possibly even through similar means.
Old June 22 2008, 03:19 AM   #164
kipron
Rear Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
The touch down screen is definitely NYC.

Looks more like Sydney.
Yay!

I mean, oh crap.
Old June 22 2008, 10:28 PM   #165
Hobs202
Commodore

After having watched certain youtube videos today, I'm starting to think that someone literally STOLE the original Earth and replaced it with a phony one. The REAL Earth is off in another dimension.

--- Dogbert