Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 232 84.06%
Above Average 31 11.23%
Average 9 3.26%
Below Average 4 1.45%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 16 2008, 02:13 PM   #256
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x10: "Revelations"

David cgc wrote: View Post
I wonder why they picked that spot.
They were looking for the Met... the Opera House.

or maybe they knew that if they can make it there, they can make it anywhere.
Old June 16 2008, 02:48 PM   #257
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Excellent! The first excellent of this mostly slow, tedious season. I really enjoyed this episode. It was tense and action packed. The well realized characters finally had interesting things to do. However, this should've been episode 5 of the 4th season. There was way too much filler getting to this point. It would've been much more tight and intense if things had been streamlined. With 5 episodes you'd get to explore everything they did but just not as mired down.

A few points, we now know that Dee and Gaeta (Sharr = lock, stock, and barrel) are NOT Cylons. D'Anna said there were four in the fleet and we know those four. I see no reason for her to lie.

So, that was basically a signal to us to stop trying to guess who it is among the fleet. It's, as I postulated, something different. I think it's Head-Six. She must've come and spoken with D'Anna. Of course, we don't know the true nature of Head-Six either . . .

Interestingly, D'Anna originally said that they needed all 5 to get to Earth. But, in reality, all 5 were never by the Viper. In fact, the Viper revealed location of Earth when none of the final Cylons were near it. Starbuck was in it. We know she's not the final Cylon either. Clearly, something was sending the message which was triggering the four and the Viper at the same time.

I'm glad they found Earth, and I've long guessed that it was going to be a destroyed Earth in the future. I'm guessing the four will continue their reawakening. They will probably starting getting knowledge about Earth and what happened. This mid-season finale really did a great job and showing what an epic search this had been and the stark disappointment it was finding a ruined Earth. It'll be really interesting learning what happened. I'm glad we have time to explore this.

Apparently the bigger mystery is who is the 3rd party that is manipulating both the humans and Cylons. Is it the final cylon or something different? How is Starbuck connected. Clearly she has a destiny and she was in the Viper when it revealed its secrets.

And, did Lee's truce break the cycle of what's gone on before will happen again. Is that broken? Hard to say when you're not quite sure what's gone on before. A temporary truce might've been a part of what has happened!

Mr Awe
Old June 16 2008, 02:56 PM   #258
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I'm still wondering where Head Six is. She was really annoying in Season 1, but now when we need her and need an explaination about who or what she is, she's no where to be seen.
They're holding her back in order to reveal her as the final Cylon later in the season. Or, so I'm guessing!

Mr Awe
Old June 16 2008, 03:05 PM   #259
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

[quote=Sharr Khan;1738753]
Oh, Dee is now off my list of Final Five suspects (was Geata on the surface?) she's had contact with Three. My new leaning is the last Cylon is the one who revived Kara, set her up with the cool vipers and has been pulling the strings from afar. Whomever it is ties in to the virtual-people.

Sharr
Yep, Dee and Geata are off the suspect list. And, earlier I had postulated Head-Six and the virtual people as the final cylon. Although, we're not sure if the 3rd party and the final cylon are one and the same or not. I'm guessing they are ... but they don't necessarily have to be.

Somethings I'm reasonably sure of:

Who and what Head-Six et al are will be an important revelation the 2nd half of the season.

If there is any sort of physical base for the virtual characters, they'll find it on Earth. I suppose there doesn't have to be a physical location but finding and exploring it would give the characters something interesting to do.

Mr Awe
Old June 16 2008, 03:13 PM   #260
Swarles Barkley
Commodore

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
I've said this before, but nobody seems to have gotten it yet.

If this was NYC, then....

The Statue of Liberty could be Aurora, goddess of the dawn, because of her torch. The Ellis Island complex would the Temple of Aurora. So, they landed at the site of the Temple of Aurora.
Problem is, there is no bridge to/from Ellis Island. So the ruins of the bridge clearly seen in the last shot are problematic if that's supposed to be Ellis Island. (Unless of course this is some future Earth and at some point prior to whatever apocalypse happened, someone built a bridge there.)
Old June 16 2008, 03:43 PM   #261
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Luke Lightsaber wrote: View Post
We saw this planet at the end of Season 3. It is Earth. I don't know why people say it's not.
Because we saw no proof that the planet they landed on was Earth. We didn't see any continents.
They just wanted to disguise the fact that it was a destroyed Earth by obscuring it with clouds. If they hadn't, it would've ruined the surprise ending. Really, people, it *is* Earth.

Mr Awe
Old June 16 2008, 03:47 PM   #262
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
It's not Earth...it's Counter-Earth, an identical twin in the same orbit, but on the opposite side of the sun!
Ah, so it's Mondas then!

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
It's not Earth...it's Terra!!!!!!!
That would make Peacemaker very happy!

Mr Awe
Old June 16 2008, 03:57 PM   #263
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Mr Awe wrote:
They just wanted to disguise the fact that it was a destroyed Earth by obscuring it with clouds. If they hadn't, it would've ruined the surprise ending. Really, people, it *is* Earth.
They wouldn't have to hide it since there is no way you'd see ruins from orbit. I just don't understand why they didn't show the planet in all it's glory like at the end of season 3.
Old June 16 2008, 04:00 PM   #264
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Think that means back to the colonies?
I'd be more inclined to head back to Kobol, instead, since there's no concern about radiation there. That said, I suppose there's no reason the fleet couldn't settle on the least damaged colony world and start rebuilding. There aren't enough people left for more than one planet, after all.
I posted this after reading STG's spoiler preview in his thread, I think Kobol still has a role. As far as we know, it's the one known inhabitable planet that hasn't been nuked. The only reason they couldn't colonize it before was because the Cylons were crawling all over it. If they now have a truce, they could colonize it together. I suppose that is the kumbayah ending some oppose . . .

So, perhaps the fleet and Cylons leave Earth for Kobol, what has happened before, happens again . . . despite Lee's truce? Or perhaps before it wasn't done cooperatively?

But, first, they have some things to learn . . .

Mr Awe
Old June 16 2008, 04:03 PM   #265
Swarles Barkley
Commodore

Leroy wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote:
They wouldn't have to hide it since there is no way you'd see ruins from orbit. I just don't understand why they didn't show the planet in all it's glory like at the end of season 3.
Agreed. I think there are enough (seemingly intentionally planted) seeds of doubt, between the way the arrival at "Earth" was shot, to Eick's cryptic comments, to the Pythian prophecy problem, to wonder about the exact nature of this Earth. I think something's going to come out of left field in the final 12 episodes. What that is I have no idea. But something's fishy here.
Old June 16 2008, 04:18 PM   #266
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Leroy wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote:
You don't think they have telescopes? And, the general appearance of a destroyed Earth wouldn't be the same as a healthy Earth. The producers know people will take screenshots and such. They wanted to keep the surprise and cover their behinds as much as possible. They didn't want people saying (as they are saying about the S3 shots), it looks fine from oribt!

Mr Awe
Old June 16 2008, 05:01 PM   #267
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Average

Sorry, but while it did have a good scene:

Tigh coming clean to Adama and the subsequent breakdown.

The REST of it was rather cliche (imo).

It took 3 months for someone to check Kara's Viper and find it was recieving a signal from Earth. Sorry, but that just seemed like a last minute hail maey since one of the BSG writers said the final Cylons knew the way to Earth - yet we (the audience) knew the 4 we had didn't have a clue.

Also, GIVEN the actions of Diana (totally in character for her so no problem there); AND the recent Cylon actions and the incidents at New Caprica; sorry, but I just do not buy Adama, Lee, or Roslyn just going "Let's ALL go to Earth (including the Cylons)" I mean, come on - the Cylons nuked 12 habitable planets defended by 140 Battlestars 3 years earlier; and the Humans have no issues just taking them to their 'promised land'? (I'll get to the ending in a bit; but come on at the time they thought Earth was teh new Human home; and with a Cylon civil war going on still; NONE of the Humans even question "Hey, maybe doing this right now ISN'T such a bright idea?"

Lastly - the (literally) 'scorched Earth' ending. Sorry but could we have any BIGGER cliche? Sorry, but all that was missing was the upper half of the statue of liberty on the shore - and a scouting party coming back saying

Galactica Scout: "Hey we found a guy and a woman in front of a horse - and all the guy said was: "We did it, we finally actually did it! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

Roslyn: "Must be the fifth Cylon - an actual human would have said, 'Gods damn you all to hades...' "

Galactica Scout: "Yeah, that's what we thought too; but there's also some REALLY STRANGE apes running around here too..."

But, at least this answers a multitude of questions about why we saw/heard soooo many Earth sayings although I'll be really curious if they ever decide to show just how many millenia in the future all this is. Did life begin on Kobol and everyone just go their own way from there; and the 13th tribe became our civilization, which proceeded to nuke itself (the radiation readings of the soil) - or did life start of Earth; mopve to Kobol post holocaust - and the 13th tribe just didn't believe whatever myths existed regarding the fate of Earth, etc.?

So, yeah, there's enough for the remaining 10 (which I hope they don't pad because all the useless 'Baltar is a messiah' and 'lets kill some characters for the shock value' (Sorry, the whole Cally death sequence comes across as that to me); because I would like to see something original, and not more of a cliche by numbers myself. I guess I'm surprised (with all the 'it's sooo original' hype) that RDM did decide to go with one of the three cliches available - either the:

1) It whittles down to an 'Adam and Eve' (with one being Human the other being Cylon) - although technically this could still be a possiblility).

2) They're the 'ancient astronauts' resposible for EgyptianGreek/Roman civilizations

3) (Which is what we got): The 'scorched Earth survivors went to the stars' ending (And he MIGHT have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for the Rod Serling version of 'Planet of the Apes' - not to mention 5 seasons of 'The Twilight Zone'.)

So again, that's my rationale for rating this Average.

YMMV.
Old June 16 2008, 05:16 PM   #268
D Man
Commodore

Other than Planet of the Apes, how often is the "ruined Earth" reveal pulled in the same way BSG just did? I keep hearing it was such a cliche, but to me it seemed like a great idea that worked perfectly. Maybe I just haven't seen the right movies/shows?
Old June 16 2008, 06:17 PM   #269
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

One thing occurs to me.

Go back to that scene where Lee is looking through the book with the picture of "the temple of Athena on Earth". Look closely at that picture. A kind of round-roofed structure, with a dome shape on top.

Then look at the ruins at the end, as the camera is panning right. I *swear* it looks like there's a collapsed, roundish roof with a dome-shaped bit at the center.

Tony
Old June 16 2008, 06:42 PM   #270
Steven Of Nine
Commodore

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Average

Sorry, but while it did have a good scene:

Tigh coming clean to Adama and the subsequent breakdown.

The REST of it was rather cliche (imo).
YMMV.

100% complete agreement. Add a Poor for me, raised from crap by Tigh.