Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 232 84.06%
Above Average 31 11.23%
Average 9 3.26%
Below Average 4 1.45%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 16 2008, 02:34 AM   #241
Tomato
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x10: "Revelations"

Being a major S4 doubter. This was a great episode. A couple more like these and I will be back on the BSG bandwagon. BTW Tigh is always bad ass.
Old June 16 2008, 03:24 AM   #242
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I thought of that, but do they have enough supplies to get back? Maybe the rebel cylons do. That would serve to establish some good will. They can't get any food or fresh water from Earth, and the algae planet is nuked. No more yummy high protein algae mash. Don't the cylons believe if you die on Kobol, there's no afterlife?

However, Kobol does seem the only alternative, doesn't it? Maybe it's the promised land of the scriptures. Head!Elosha said the prophets got some of it wrong.
I don't know, Kobol is a lot closer to the colonies, which is most likely a lot closer to the Cylon homeworld then Earth. I'm sure the rest of the Cylons will be out for blood if they can rebuild the hub, and being closer to the Cylons (at a planet known to them no less) isn't the best idea.

Heck even if the Cylons can't rebuild the Hub I'm sure they have more then enough Basestars to wipe out both the Galactica and the rebel Basestar while taking minimal casualties themselves, which would be easy to do if they had to protect people living on Kobol.

Old June 16 2008, 03:33 AM   #243
Snaploud
Admiral

They can't get any food or fresh water from Earth,
We don't know that for sure. Much of the planet could be healthy. All we saw was what happened to much (or all) of the civilization.
Old June 16 2008, 03:35 AM   #244
David cgc
Vice Admiral

I wonder why they picked that spot. I mean, out of all of the planet to choose from, why there? Completely arbitrary? Maps from the Sacred Scrolls? Did it look promising from orbit (that's why they landed at the City of the Gods on Kobol: Those were the only (or biggest) ruins they found)?
Old June 16 2008, 03:37 AM   #245
Luke Lightsaber
Captain

Why didn't they just land next to the transponder? It was still broadcasting right?
Old June 16 2008, 03:48 AM   #246
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Didn't they say something like "Let's pick a shore and land on it" or am I imagining things?

Old June 16 2008, 04:01 AM   #247
Dark Gilligan
Writer

David cgc wrote: View Post
I wonder why they picked that spot. I mean, out of all of the planet to choose from, why there? Completely arbitrary?
Likely they went to the urban area with the largest infrastructure they could see from orbit, which would suggest New York.
Old June 16 2008, 04:36 AM   #248
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

I wonder why they picked that spot. I mean, out of all of the planet to choose from, why there? Completely arbitrary? Maps from the Sacred Scrolls? Did it look promising from orbit (that's why they landed at the City of the Gods on Kobol: Those were the only (or biggest) ruins they found)?
I've said this before, but nobody seems to have gotten it yet.

If this was NYC, then....

The Statue of Liberty could be Aurora, goddess of the dawn, because of her torch. The Ellis Island complex would the Temple of Aurora. So, they landed at the site of the Temple of Aurora.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Old June 16 2008, 04:43 AM   #249
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

I thought of that, but do they have enough supplies to get back? Maybe the rebel cylons do. That would serve to establish some good will. They can't get any food or fresh water from Earth, and the algae planet is nuked. No more yummy high protein algae mash. Don't the cylons believe if you die on Kobol, there's no afterlife?

However, Kobol does seem the only alternative, doesn't it? Maybe it's the promised land of the scriptures. Head!Elosha said the prophets got some of it wrong.

I think the supplies issue is very important. To get more supplies, they'd have to mine for tylium. They'd need to find water to get them to the algae planet at least. Then they'd have to get through the star field a second time. There's also the question of the Cylons along the way. Add to that, there's the promise of death to those who set foot on Kobol. Also, in the extended cut of the Pegasus 3 parter, they made it clear to Starbuck that Colonial jump drives have problems tracing their way long distances. The further from the target, the more uncertainty attaches. So, it doesn't seem that it's as simple as just tracing their way back the way they came. They'd actually find themselves searching for their targets along the way.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Old June 16 2008, 04:45 AM   #250
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
I wonder why they picked that spot. I mean, out of all of the planet to choose from, why there? Completely arbitrary?
Likely they went to the urban area with the largest infrastructure they could see from orbit, which would suggest New York.

They would have been able to tell from orbit that the planet was dead and the cities destroyed. They certainly would have known on approach in their shuttles.

We see them standing on Earth and being disheartened, but that doesn't mean that they first discovered the planet's condition the moment they disembarked from their ships on the surface.

As for New York - who knows whether that would be the largest city in the world at the time that everything falls apart?

Or maybe they're just somewhere in New Jersey, in 2008.
Old June 16 2008, 05:06 AM   #251
Luke Lightsaber
Captain

Adama should have turrned to the others and said, "I was RIGHT! There is no Earth! You damn, dirty Colonials!"
Old June 16 2008, 05:31 AM   #252
Snaploud
Admiral

I think they were purposely looking for some signs of civilization. In particular, they were trying to find the buildings described in the scrolls/prophesies. Those building remnants were likely a match for those pictures/descriptions.
Old June 16 2008, 06:33 AM   #253
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
As for New York - who knows whether that would be the largest city in the world at the time that everything falls apart?
Point taken, though it really did look like the Brooklyn Bridge.

Personally, I wish it was Australia with the ruined Sydney Opera House in the background. There's a logic to that as well, with Australia likely hanging on a bit longer after nuclear oblivion wrecks the rest of the world. A nice homage to "On the Beach". (And the Galacticans really were standing "on the beach" in that final scene.)
Old June 16 2008, 09:22 AM   #254
James Bond
Rear Admiral

I just saw it tonight, and it was fucking fantastic. Just brilliant.
Old June 16 2008, 10:01 AM   #255
Saul
Rear Admiral

Took a while to get over that episode. Brilliant and heart wrenching. An emotional roller coaster This could have easily been the series Finale. I could almost imagine something as dark as that happening. But mid way through season 4 I never expected it and was totally surprised. Ron Moore had always said that the series would end with Galactica getting to Earth. Now I feel things have totally changed and the rug once again pulled from under our feet. Certainly the most stunning cliffhanger I have seen. They really out do themselves each time. Adama losing it was some fine acting.

Where next? No idea. I can't even guess.