Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 232 84.06%
Above Average 31 11.23%
Average 9 3.26%
Below Average 4 1.45%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 14 2008, 06:08 PM   #136
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x10: "Revelations"

^It's hard to grade objectively based on elements that were probably best experienced as surprises. It wasn't much of a problem in the past, but I may have to stop watching the previews if they're going to keep showing us too much.
Old June 14 2008, 06:56 PM   #137
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

Story line wise, I'm totally okay with the whole Earth is destroyed oh, no now we've gotta work together to built a society thing.

But what bugged the living SHIT out me is that the finding Earth thing was so abrupt. One jump? One frakkin jump and we're there?????

And c'mon, you're telling me that something so monumental only got a five minute treatment? You spend what, 40 minutes with a stand off and just tack on "Well, we found what we're looking for!" in a matter of minutes?

Loved the story twist. The shoehorned feeling of the pacing of the final five minutes just made me angry.

And I can't help but wonder if some of the Earthlings made it off of the planet before it was destroyed. Maybe they managed to do some colonizing of their own before everything on Earth went to ashes.
Old June 14 2008, 07:04 PM   #138
Hermiod
Admiral

^I sense the effects of the writers' strike on that. If necessary, this could have been the final episode. It would have been the biggest f*** you ending to a television series ever, though.

Spending the entire series looking for a planet only to find it nuked to hell in the closing scene beats blasting John and Aeryn in to pieces any day.
Old June 14 2008, 07:09 PM   #139
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who was dismayed to behold Adm. Adama's tearful breakdown? This never would have happened to __________ (insert name of STAR TREK character and wait for flames).

Tigh, on the other hand, volunteered to give his life up. I was more impressed with him.
But that's what makes this show so good, the stalwart leader at last reaches his breaking point, it was at least as understandable as Picard's headstrong hissy fit in "First Contact". I mean Adama did just learn his best friend is one of the "enemy".

I to was impressed by Tigh.
And found it of interest Roslin's new humbleness (though motivated by the preservation of the human species) when confronted by Tory.

But what bugged the living SHIT out me is that the finding Earth thing was so abrupt. One jump? One frakkin jump and we're there?????
I don't think it was one jump, from what Lee said we're supposed to have the impression there were a series of jumps -but it was only dramatically relevant when they reached the final jump just before Sol.

Sharr
Old June 14 2008, 07:16 PM   #140
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post

And c'mon, you're telling me that something so monumental only got a five minute treatment? You spend what, 40 minutes with a stand off and just tack on "Well, we found what we're looking for!" in a matter of minutes?
There was a fair amount of time compression, I thought. And there wasn't really much reason to drag it out. The next interesting thing that would happen is getting to Earth, so they may as well skip the three days of hard jumping to get there.
Old June 14 2008, 07:22 PM   #141
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

David cgc wrote: View Post
Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post

There was a fair amount of time compression, I thought. And there wasn't really much reason to drag it out. The next interesting thing that would happen is getting to Earth, so they may as well skip the three days of hard jumping to get there.
I think this is why I was getting so ticked and impatient earlier in the season. We had at least 2 or 3 episodes that really could have been blended into 1 (And Road Less Traveled didn't need to happen at all) and then we could have had more time to tell Revelations and make it even better and more developed than it already was.
Old June 14 2008, 07:26 PM   #142
Hermiod
Admiral

It was a little bit better than Voyager's "We just beat the Borg and got home! THE END!!!" ending.
Old June 14 2008, 07:30 PM   #143
Lookingglassman
Admiral

It was a really good episode.
Old June 14 2008, 07:31 PM   #144
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

tomalak301 wrote: View Post

I think this is why I was getting so ticked and impatient earlier in the season. We had at least 2 or 3 episodes that really could have been blended into 1 (And Road Less Traveled didn't need to happen at all) and then we could have had more time to tell Revelations and make it even better and more developed than it already was.
Yeah, I think that was the week that I felt we'd wasted 40 minutes twiddling our thumbs.

And I think Hermy's got a point about the writer's strike affecting things.

Jeez, I'd forgotten about the writer's strike already.
Old June 14 2008, 07:34 PM   #145
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

SiddFinch1 wrote: View Post
You jump in and no space stations or ships to investigate come out? You as military commander don't find that suspicious?
Which could just mean the 13th tribe gather laurel leaves and live in naked hedonistic splendor minus technology. The lack of space stations and orbital defenses doesn't indicate much except a lack of space stations and orbital defenses.

But what about the colonial distress signal that the mystery Viper locked onto? Is that a real signal, or just something about that ship?
Old June 14 2008, 07:38 PM   #146
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

In Stargate the Nox are very technologically advanced, but they hide their technology by making their floating city invisible in the sky. They come down to the planet looking like primitives, but they are not. Perhaps the people of Earth are also this way.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old June 14 2008, 07:42 PM   #147
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

Yeah, there's no reason (and by the way only a scifi geek would even care about such things or find their lack of being there curious) anyone in RTF would even assume there would be things in orbit. Also this has never been the kind of show that takes time out of a dramatic moment to go all: "assemble the research team...", the heart of the matter was seeing Adama picking up that handful of earth and the click of the Geiger counter.

But what about the colonial distress signal that the mystery Viper locked onto? Is that a real signal, or just something about that ship?
I have a good notion what the source of that signal is...

Sharr
Old June 14 2008, 08:33 PM   #148
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Anybody found screencaps of the ending yet?
Old June 14 2008, 08:38 PM   #149
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Average.

I was really thinking I'd rate it a flat-out Poor when it became clear that my fears were coming true, and they were going for that unconvincing bullshit kumbayah plot twist of let's-all-hold-hands-and-trust-the-Cylons (their motives for the initial attack still being still unexplained to this day, it's the height of foolishness to EVER trust them - D'anna has it absolutely right).

But when it became clear that God had played a cosmic joke on all of them by leading them to an obliterated Earth, I started to feel better about the situation. At least now the Cylons have received the punishment they've always deserved and while the humans don't deserve similar punishment, they've so completely lost my sympathies that I don't much mind if their final fate is to die cold, lonely deaths in the vastness of space...

Here's what would have prompted an enthusiastic Excellent from me: they arrive at a fully populated, advanced-technology era Earth and are greeted with open arms. When TPTB of Earth realize that there are genocidal robots among them, they do what the dumshit Colonials haven't managed to - try em for war crimes and execute em. Justice at last is served.

Of course, I'm not talking about Tigh, Tyrol or Anders, who have committed no crimes warranting the death sentence. As far as anyone knows, Tory hasn't either, tho her defection will make her very unpopular from now on...
Old June 14 2008, 08:58 PM   #150
The Black Stig
Rear Admiral

A weepy, heart-rending Excellent.

Good God.

If Michael Hogan doesn't get an Emmy nod this season, there's even less justice than there was when he was passed over last season. His scene with EJO was shattering, as was the aftermath with Jamie Bamber who also knocked it out of the park last night.

And the ending, Jesus fucking Christ...

After making me believe for a split second that something real and pure and glorious would happen on this godsforsaken show, RDM throws that in our faces.

Hey, you found Earth. Congra-tu-fucking-lations. Enjoy the ashes.

This was probably the strongest single episode of the series, '33' notwithstanding.

Where do we go from here? What will the show do for 12 additional hours?

If this had been the finale, it would have served its purpose admirably. Here's hoping the actual finale lives up to the standard set last night.

All we know is that he's not The Stig, he's The Stig's drowned predecessor.