Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 5 2008, 10:27 AM   #1
The Master of Tarquin Hill
Commodore

Tom Cruise=Damaged Commodity

Tom Cruises's latest endeavor "Valkyrie" is yet another title which I find compelling, but I am at the same time repulsed by because of the fact that it showplaces a cultist.

I would love to learn more about the man who planted a bomb that could have rid us of the scourge of Adolpf Hitler.

The fact that a delusional person like Cruise would try to take on the mantle of a true free-thinker is very saddening.

Hopefully, this film will be one day remade by people who aren't part of a cult.
Old June 5 2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Tom Cruise=Damaged Commodity

This couldn't have been posted in the current Valkyrie thread because...why, exactly?

I say, if you're interested in the story, just go and see the movie. Forget the fact that Tom Cruise is in it, since he bothers you so much. See it for Brian Singer, Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, and Eddie Izzard.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2008, 11:29 AM   #3
The Master of Tarquin Hill
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
This couldn't have been posted in the current Valkyrie thread because...why, exactly?

I say, if you're interested in the story, just go and see the movie. Forget the fact that Tom Cruise is in it, since he bothers you so much. See it for Brian Singer, Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, and Eddie Izzard.
BECAUSE I AM ME AND I AM SPECIAL AND I WILL NOT BOW TO AN ONGOING THREAD. XENU WOULD BURN ME IF I FOLLOWED YOUR ADVICE.
Old June 5 2008, 11:46 AM   #4
blaXXer
Fleet Captain

Master of Tarquin Hill wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post

BECAUSE I AM ME AND I AM SPECIAL AND I WILL NOT BOW TO AN ONGOING THREAD. XENU WOULD BURN ME IF I FOLLOWED YOUR ADVICE.
Obsess, much?
Old June 5 2008, 01:06 PM   #5
rType
Commander

Hopefully, this film will be one day remade by people who aren't part of a cult.
Like the cult of those who obsess over the private lives of people they don't know?
rType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Haytil
Captain

What about the other actors? The director? Writer? Cinematographer? Soundtrack artists? Crew?

Do they not deserve your time or money? Is their work and product automatically inferior just because of the politics and beliefs of one of their coworkers?

Cruise has lots of money. He doesn't need any more, and your ticket sale won't help him any bit at all. But the others do need it. If you want people to make well-written, well-produced product, you need to support it with the vote of your dollar.
Haytil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Pingfah
Admiral

Oh gee, well Tom Cruise isn't a hitman either, yet amazingly he did a good job playing one in Collateral.

This must be that thing they call "acting".

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Tulin
Vice Admiral

And he always plays straight men so convincingly.

Wow.......he REALLY is a GOOD actor!!!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2008, 05:44 PM   #9
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

I would love to learn more about the man who planted a bomb that could have rid us of the scourge of Adolpf Hitler.

If you're really interested about Operation Walküre go find a good history book since all i've heard about the movie is that it's the "hollywoodized" version of it (think U 571).
Old June 6 2008, 12:09 PM   #10
blaXXer
Fleet Captain

Yep, those people weren't fighting for democracy at all. They simply wanted Hitler out of the picture, win the war and establish a military dictatorship in Germany.

Heroes my shiny German ass.
Old June 7 2008, 02:55 AM   #11
Velocity
Commodore

Didn't the conspirators think that Hitler was destroying Germany and they wanted to save their country. They considered themselves patriots. Democracy didn't really enter into it and I don't think anyone here mentioned democracy anyway. Hollywood makes movies to make money, not to be historically accurate. They'll change historical facts to make the story more dramatic, so if you want to learn more about a historical event, you'd be better off reading about it from different sources.

And I don't see anything wrong with saying that scientology is a cult either.
Velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2008, 04:07 AM   #12
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Just buy a used copy of it when it comes out on DVD.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2008, 05:07 AM   #13
Philo
Commodore

Velocity wrote: View Post
And I don't see anything wrong with saying that scientology is a cult either.
Indeed, the German government does.
Philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2008, 07:56 AM   #14
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Tom Cruises's latest endeavor "Valkyrie" is yet another title which I find compelling, but I am at the same time repulsed by because of the fact that it showplaces a cultist.

The fact that a delusional person like Cruise would try to take on the mantle of a true free-thinker is very saddening.

Your inability to separate Tom Cruise's character in the movie from his real life personality is your failing, not his.
Old June 7 2008, 05:14 PM   #15
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

I feel like discriminating against Cruise for his beliefs is as dispicable as any other kind of discrimination. As far as I know, scientologist are not hurting anyone, so why should I care? Cruise is a great actor.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote