Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 5 2008, 07:21 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Paramount Wants To Contract Creative Team For Sequel

Star Trek XI screenwriter Robert Orci revealed this week that Paramount is already trying to woo the creative team behind the new film to commit themselves to a possible sequel.

"[They] already want to lock us down to write the sequel. Take that as you will," Orci told TrekMovie.com. Orci's comment applied to the whole creative team, including his co-writer Alex Kurtzman, director J. J. Abrams, and the producers. However, he also clarified that this was simply the studio's standard way of making sure the same creative team would be in place for a possible sequel, not a confirmation there actually would be a sequel: "Unless the studio had a horrible experience with us, they would be trying to lock us down as standard operating procedure. They haven’t even seen the movie yet, so this news should not be taken as evidence that we are anything special. It’s a quite normal practice."

Of course, with the current film not even having been finished yet, let alone released, no work has yet been done on a possible sequel. But Orci did say the following when asked whether he'd put much thought into a sequel: "It depends on what you classify as 'much.' We’ve certainly thought about it some."

While Orci this week talked to TrekMovie.com, director Abrams briefly dropped by Entertainment Weekly to talk about his experience with Star Trek fans who want to know "every gory detail about a movie that's still a year away." Abrams advised Trek fans that they'd be better off not hunting down spoilers: "Learning raw detail and experiencing that detail as it was intended are two totally different things. [...] I would argue that not knowing those details in advance is a more refreshing way to live when it comes to entertainment."

Find more in the full articles at TrekMovie.com and EW.

Old June 5 2008, 10:05 PM   #2
T'Cal
Commodore

Re: Paramount Wants To Contract Creative Team For Sequel

If XI is successful enough to earn a sequel, I hope the team does what a few other franchises have done: film the sequel movies at the same time. Wasn't some of Superman I & II and some of Back to the Future II & III filmed simultaneously? I know LotR filmed the triology all at once but that was a bit different since the plan all along was to make all three. Still, the reason is the same. It saves money and time, and it allows the sequels to come out quicker while the earlier films are still fresh in the audience's minds. It's also better if the sequels are direct continuations of the earlier story as the actors don't have the chance to age noticeably between movies.
Old June 5 2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

I have a fantastic idea for a sequel!

Old Kirk (William Shatner) travels back in time to help young Kirk (Chris Pine) prevent Klingons from killing Spock and thus saving the Federation! Yay!
Old June 5 2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'd pay to see that if it were Done Well.

And I'm sure we'd all be very pleased.
Old June 5 2008, 11:01 PM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Sam, I dropped by the rather listless official forums at www.startrekmovie.com this afternoon and it struck me that they're probably really dying for a peek at the Sombreroprize.

Think how you'd brighten the day of those children struck down by the heartbreak of ADHD.
Old June 6 2008, 05:26 AM   #6
Pioneer
Captain

They're offering a sequel deal and they haven't even seen the movie suck and tank yet?!? Sounds risky.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old June 6 2008, 05:26 AM   #7
Pioneer
Captain

Just kidding.
Old June 6 2008, 05:33 AM   #8
Pioneer
Captain

" [...] I would argue that not knowing those details in advance is a more refreshing way to live when it comes to entertainment."
Hey, J.J.!
I'll decide for myself if, when, and what is a more refreshing way to live thankyouverymuch.

CAN I HAZ DAILIES NOW?
Old June 6 2008, 06:16 PM   #9
T'Cal
Commodore

If they do it right, they could make it a special valentine to the fans. We would all be very pleased.
Old June 7 2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I agree with Abrams that it'd be nice to see it all new and fresh at once, but it's so hard to live another YEAR without the movie
Old June 10 2008, 01:26 PM   #11
PumpHunter
Lieutenant

Yeah, the suits always loves those who work on their current installment. They loved it when Brannon and Braga were driving the show into the ground.
Old June 10 2008, 03:27 PM   #12
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The Franchise was headed for that crash, regardless of what anyone could practically have done.

Which was a good thing, for the moment, since now someone can take a fresh shot at the property and perhaps do something inventive with it.
Old June 10 2008, 05:34 PM   #13
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Brannon and Braga?!?
Old June 10 2008, 06:37 PM   #14
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Rick and Berman's replacements.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old June 10 2008, 09:43 PM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
Brannon and Braga?!?
Considering how much damage he wreaked, there must have been two of them!