RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 511
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 3 2008, 11:43 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Ellison Documentary To Open

A new documentary about Harlan Ellison opens tomorrow in New York City.

As reported by New York Sun, the seventy-four-year old Ellison is featured in Erik Nelson's Dreams With Sharp Teeth, a new documentary on the colorful writer.

In addition to the standard old television clips, interviews and historical montages, Ellison was given plenty of time to spout off about his favorite topics; the abuse of writers, Hollywood stupidity, cruelty of his fellow man and about Ellison himself.

The project was begun in 2002. Age has not mellowed Ellison, who is still cranky and combative, perhaps a legacy of his childhood where he was obliged to learn how to outwit larger bullies. "He's like a skin graft on a leper," said Robin Williams who is an old friend. As one might expect, there are plenty of shots of Ellison screaming at (or about) other people.

Ellison gives short dramatic readings in the documentary including one from his teleplay of The City on the Edge of Forever, an episode that became a fan favorite.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old June 4 2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Pioneer
Captain

Re: Ellison Documentary To Open

Ellison's a real bandy rooster. Those little guys are always scrapin' for a fight.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old June 4 2008, 06:45 PM   #3
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

I'd love to see this documentary .. I hope it makes the independent theatre circuit, I'd go see it.
Old June 4 2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Whatever Ellison has to say is just about automatically a hundred times smarter and more interesting than commentary by actors and TV producers concerning anything/
Old June 4 2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Whatever Ellison has to say is just about automatically a hundred times smarter and more interesting than commentary by actors and TV producers concerning anything/
And also a hundred times crankier.
Old June 4 2008, 09:21 PM   #6
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

His interviews with Tom Snyder were better than most.
Old June 4 2008, 09:33 PM   #7
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
Those were great fun.

Ellison is always interesting, often very amusing and generally dead on, no matter what the subject. I'd be quite interested in seeing this documentary.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old June 5 2008, 02:01 AM   #8
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
Damn, the night Snyder had Ellison as his only guest I thought Snyder was going to throttle him about three-quarters of the way through.

Or the time he was on with the Trek actors and annoyed Doohan by calling Trek "another cop show."
Old June 5 2008, 02:04 AM   #9
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Here's a good clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yaY98GTCYM
Old June 5 2008, 03:10 AM   #10
Procutus
Admiral

Or the time he was on with the Trek actors and annoyed Doohan by calling Trek "another cop show."

I remember that! That was Harlan at his best!

I had the pleasure of meeting him many years ago at the Superman Exposition here in Cleveland. He was funny, witty and generally a real riot. I'm glad I had the chance to meet one of my very favorite writers.
Old June 5 2008, 03:04 PM   #11
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Actually, on the clip I linked to one of the more interesting exchanges is at the very end and involves Kelley - it's 1976, and Snyder asks the cast whether they enjoy Trek conventions or are tired of them. DeForest Kelley says, wearily, "Well, I've done a couple and I'm getting kind of tired of them, yeah."
Old June 5 2008, 05:54 PM   #12
Tralah
Wasting Time Until May 2009

Poor Kelley! He had no idea what he was in for in the future.
Old June 6 2008, 05:50 AM   #13
Pioneer
Captain

@Starship Polaris: Thanks for the link. Those outfits and haircuts are wild. Really took me back. I thought I'd forgotten about Disco (God knows, I tried) and then WHAM! there it is. And all that smoking!?!

Harlan Ellison is really funny, especially when he is "committing the truth". He's one of the few people I can think of who hates the suits more than I do.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old June 6 2008, 06:10 AM   #14
garamet
Writer

Pfft! He certainly seems to think he holds the copyright on the f-word.

- Isaac Asimov (Newsweek, 1980)

Old June 6 2008, 07:42 AM   #15
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I have a love hate thing with Harlan. He's great sometimes while other times I just moan.