Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 2 2008, 11:14 PM   #16
NiteTrek
Captain

Re: deg3D_TOS.5 Enterprise

baxart wrote: View Post
Really Nice!
Looking forward to your bridge.
Oh yeah....can't wait to see the bridge!! Use a naked female this time!
NiteTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2008, 12:07 AM   #17
deg3D
Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to deg3D

Thanks guys.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
...even though it's not strictly faithful to what's shown onscreen.
Indeed, as NiteTrek shared in his POV, it's not my intention to build a 3D model of the series' practical filming model, or rather a model of a model. The shuttlebay, like the whole ship's neo-detailing is my concept, based on classic E, with TMP(s)' Es influencing and thus dovetailing back in time into some of the aspects of her detailing upgrades.

Of note, the shuttlebay in the end will probably be tweaked color-wise, losing the garish bright 60's palette colors, and I may lose the blue side landing lights in lieu of putting lighted landing strips into the actual deck itself. Still, with tractor-beam shuttle landing procedures, there not really a point and I like to keep things as realistic as my industrial design sense in able to conceive of extrapolating sci-fi ideas into reality. We'll see about the blue lights, they may be binned altogether...

A big pet-peeve of mine is stuff that doesn't look like it serves any logical mechanical purpose. I like to make stuff look (as much as I can) like it would actually "work" and serve a purpose as opposed to just looking sci-fi cool for the sake of sci-fi cool. I have had to hold back from some stuff, lest I wander off down the E "re-imagined road," and that I do not want to do, as I love E basically as she is, and there is a reason for her inspiring that feeling in me: she's beautiful, in her less-is-more, sublime, and graceful design esthetic, IMO.

This is the main reason, for the first time, that I feel a fear in my heart about new and incoming Trek, this based on the "bloated" new E design glimpsed in the trailer. Her grace is gone IMO. Even in all the previous films and series (of which I have never missed one single second of any-and-all Trek, not one second from day one, 09.08.66), while refitting her, they always retained/maintained her graceful lines. The new E looks like a bloated beast with those fat nacelles IMO. More and bigger is not better as far as I am concerned, esp. when it comes to E.

Out of all the "new" Es on the net (aside from my own that is) I really like Vektor's subtle upgrade version of E the best, but even that is a tad too much IMO, case in point, the sweeping of the nacelle struts. In my view, there's no reason for it (other than an esthetic change, and I think I have been clear on what I think about TOS E's existing esthetics), as there's no drag in space. And Gabe's was a nice take, but again, a bit too much for me personally.

But to each his own vision eh. The spice o' life IMO. I always enjoy seeing other artist's competent and considerate "re-envisioning" takes on E. However, for me, I just want to maintain her wondrous, timeless, and iconic profile while re-tooling her detailing to bring her into the 21st century (relatively speaking).

NiteTrek wrote: View Post

Oh yeah....can't wait to see the bridge!! Use a naked female this time!
I'll see what I can do about a gal.

deg
http://deg3D.biz

Last edited by deg3D; June 3 2008 at 12:16 AM.
deg3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2008, 07:06 AM   #18
Just_Bob
Commander

Hiya, Deg!

Beautiful, sir, just beautiful! I do so like what you have done with the nacelle caps and your updated impulse engine detail is excellent.

I agree with NiteTrek....."Use a naked female this time!"

Old June 3 2008, 02:01 PM   #19
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

deg3D wrote: View Post
Thanks guys.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
...even though it's not strictly faithful to what's shown onscreen.
Indeed, as NiteTrek shared in his POV, it's not my intention to build a 3D model of the series' practical filming model, or rather a model of a model. The shuttlebay, like the whole ship's neo-detailing is my concept, based on classic E, with TMP(s)' Es influencing and thus dovetailing back in time into some of the aspects of her detailing upgrades.

Of note, the shuttlebay in the end will probably be tweaked color-wise, losing the garish bright 60's palette colors, and I may lose the blue side landing lights in lieu of putting lighted landing strips into the actual deck itself. Still, with tractor-beam shuttle landing procedures, there not really a point and I like to keep things as realistic as my industrial design sense in able to conceive of extrapolating sci-fi ideas into reality. We'll see about the blue lights, they may be binned altogether...

A big pet-peeve of mine is stuff that doesn't look like it serves any logical mechanical purpose. I like to make stuff look (as much as I can) like it would actually "work" and serve a purpose as opposed to just looking sci-fi cool for the sake of sci-fi cool. I have had to hold back from some stuff, lest I wander off down the E "re-imagined road," and that I do not want to do, as I love E basically as she is, and there is a reason for her inspiring that feeling in me: she's beautiful, in her less-is-more, sublime, and graceful design esthetic, IMO.

This is the main reason, for the first time, that I feel a fear in my heart about new and incoming Trek, this based on the "bloated" new E design glimpsed in the trailer. Her grace is gone IMO. Even in all the previous films and series (of which I have never missed one single second of any-and-all Trek, not one second from day one, 09.08.66), while refitting her, they always retained/maintained her graceful lines. The new E looks like a bloated beast with those fat nacelles IMO. More and bigger is not better as far as I am concerned, esp. when it comes to E.

Out of all the "new" Es on the net (aside from my own that is) I really like Vektor's subtle upgrade version of E the best, but even that is a tad too much IMO, case in point, the sweeping of the nacelle struts. In my view, there's no reason for it (other than an esthetic change, and I think I have been clear on what I think about TOS E's existing esthetics), as there's no drag in space. And Gabe's was a nice take, but again, a bit too much for me personally.

But to each his own vision eh. The spice o' life IMO. I always enjoy seeing other artist's competent and considerate "re-envisioning" takes on E. However, for me, I just want to maintain her wondrous, timeless, and iconic profile while re-tooling her detailing to bring her into the 21st century (relatively speaking).

deg
This is a great point of view, respectful of what made the original model iconic in the first place, and yet not ignorant of the needs of the big screen or HD-TV to provide additional layers of detail and scale.

I'm increasingly intrigued by the notion of a massive anti-modern Trek artistic campaign, that instead of again and again trying to translate the TOS design into some Star Wars-ified ubership clotted with purposeless detail, takes all the other designs from modern Trek and renders them with the Jefferies aesthetic of "less is more".

I suspect that would require some real artistic skill to pull off, and is the reason we see it done so rarely.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2008, 03:08 PM   #20
GilmourD
Lieutenant Commander

I like what you're doing here.
GilmourD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2008, 04:02 PM   #21
deg3D
Commander

Thanks very much guys.

aridas sofia, you and me, sounds like we kinda ride the same wave-length eh.

And while I love Star Wars and it's uber-utilitarian detail encrusted ship designs (which I have built a couple myself), I don't want to see E as you so accurately put it: Star Wars-ified.

What's the point? Copy that which already exists, and of a completely different style to boot? That's not the heart of creativity IMO. And there's a reason Matt's E is as iconic as it is. Why bin that proven design style?

But, IDIC eh. What others do is cool by me eh, as I'll just keep at doing what I like to see done eh. It's all good.

deg
Old June 3 2008, 04:16 PM   #22
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I agree. It's all good. I'm actually interested in seeing what somebody starting the whole thing over will come up with. However, I also wish somebody would do one as if it was Jefferies, only with loads of bucks. If for no other reason than to show all the 1960s design bashers that there is a big difference between the inherent quality of a design and the way the design ends up looking on film because of SFX limitations.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2008, 04:54 PM   #23
deg3D
Commander

Indeed, I'm stoked about new old Trek eh. Even if I have some new E concerns. Still, I'll love it because it is Star Trek, as well, I love Star Trek, and as I have a saying for myself: Even bad Trek (ala Spock's Brain, The Way To Eden, The Apple...) is good Trek.

As to the Jefferies' design, well, that's what I'm kinda sorta tryin' to do with my E, if only in my own mind.

deg

deg
Old June 3 2008, 09:52 PM   #24
Wingsley
Commodore

A while back, Vektor did some 3D illustrations of a cosmetically redone NCC-1701 Enterprise that did something similar with the spherical aft nacelle caps, (SANCs?) but Vektor's did not incorporate the leaking of internal lighting as you have. Vektor did make some changes to the Enterprise's lines and shapes, but kept the overall ship the same as in TOS.

It would be very interesting to see both Vektor's images and yours, side-by-side.

One minor detail that I really appreciate about your images: I like how you've kept the original TOS-style Starfleet "boomerang" pennant. That's one thing I was sad to see absent from TMP on.

Nice work!

Last edited by Wingsley; June 3 2008 at 10:01 PM.
Wingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2008, 05:25 PM   #25
deg3D
Commander

Thanks dude.

Yeah, I wanted to keep her make-up the same (other than changing the font) along with her overall profile.

Phase 7_Detailing_Main Hull

Modeled grid on top and bottom of saucer and added some detail to the impulse collector... (can't recall what the rail in front of the impulse engines is called...)

deg

It's only a model. - Patsy, Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Old June 5 2008, 04:27 AM   #26
deg3D
Commander

Closer look at the impulse rig, and the addition of eight attitude thruster 3-packs to the top and bottom edges on the saucer...

deg

Old June 5 2008, 08:27 AM   #27
Just_Bob
Commander

deg3D wrote: View Post

Closer look at the impulse rig, and the addition of eight attitude thruster 3-packs to the top and bottom edges on the saucer...

deg

Deg, your detailing is incredible! You have given the impulse forward detail (nurnie/rail) some "character" that was lacking on the original design, with all due respect to Matt J. It's welcome candy to my eyes.....well done, sir.
Old June 6 2008, 12:00 AM   #28
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

deg, you know I think you rock... but could you turn up the lights a wee bit?

(p.s. she's a beauty... at least what I can make out of her )
Old June 9 2008, 08:02 PM   #29
asdf1
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to asdf1

Wow, these look great, keep going, would love to see it when its all done
asdf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2008, 03:16 PM   #30
judexavier
Commander

Wow, that is really fantastic. I hate to repeat things, but your nacelle concept and detail are perfect; my new favorite design for this area, something that refines Jefferies original spinning lights without "trashing it"..
and to me it has that mysterious element that...well it looks functional, that something is working there, and not just "army tank parts and bits glued on".

Awsome.
judexavier is offline   Reply With Quote