TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old May 30 2008, 10:00 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

The High Ground

Plot Summary: When the Enterprise arrives at Rutia IV to bring medical supplies to the government, an explosion injures several Rutians. Dr. Crusher rushes to help the wounded and is taken hostage by the leader of the Ansata separatists, who was responsible for the terrorist attack. Finn treats Crusher well and persuades her to tend to the wounded on his side, many of whom are dying of a mysterious ailment. While the Enterprise tries to track Crusher's whereabouts - a task made difficult by the untraceable rebel transporter - Crusher realizes that the reason so many Ansata are ill is that their interdimensional transporter has damaged their DNA. Picard and Riker ask for help from Alexana Davos, the head of the government's security division, who explains that the Ansata have sought independence for 70 years. Unwilling to become involved in the planet's politics, Riker refuses to let Davos torture one of Finn's men and instead sends a message that Starfleet will negotiate for Crusher's release. Believing that Riker is only try to trap him, Finn launches an attack on the Enterprise, planting a bomb that LaForge detonates and abducting Picard from the bridge. Data and Wesley Crusher have learned to track the Ansata transporter and provide Riker with the coordinates of their underground base, enabling him to take a team including Davos below the surface to try to rescue the Enterprise crewmembers. Finn decides to execute Picard to send a message to the Federation, but Davos shoots and kills him, telling Riker that his death will cause less bloodshed than trying to fight off would-be rescuers if Finn were imprisoned. When one of the Ansata children pulls a weapon on Davos, Crusher is able to convince him to put it down, and Riker tries to persuade Davos to try to make peace now that no weapons are drawn.

To read the full reviews, please click here.

Old May 31 2008, 12:20 AM   #2
BoyNamedSue
Lieutenant

Re: The High Ground

Oddly enough, when this first aired in 1989 (or 1990), two people in my area of Louisiana got into an argument about this episode.........and one person killed the other.........ODD, I KNOW........BUT I SWEAR I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP!
Old May 31 2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Geck
Rear Admiral

Easily one of my favourite episodes. It's not flawless, but it has so much more to say that 99% of Trek episodes and seems increasingly potent and relevant every time I see it. It's extremely fairly written with both sides of the conflict well fleshed out, brilliantly acted (easily one of Gates McFadden's best shows, in particular), and well directed and paced - the attack on the Enterprise is incredibly intense. Excellent review this time.
Old June 3 2008, 10:53 PM   #4
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

There's just one thing that always bugged me about this episode, and that is the dimensional shifting transporter.

If such a weapon really existed, it would upset the entire "balance" of Trek technology. Such a weapon would be devastating in the hands of any of the Trek powers, as it renders shields pretty much useless. Why bother sending a person across at all, to have his DNA scrambled? Why not just dimensional shift a bomb or a photon torpedo directly into the engine room of any enemy vessel?

To suggest that such a powerful technology is known, old hat, and simply not used because of its affect on living tissue, anyhow it seemed like sort of a cop out to me. Or at least the implications of the tech simply were not thought through fully. Even if you had to beam a living person across, it seems like the terrorists wouldn't be the only ones willing to sacrifice a crewman to deliver explosives to an enemy ship. It doesn't seem like useless tech (unless you're a "suicidal terrorist") to me; quite the contrary.

Anyhow, that is the treknology geek that I am speaking. In terms of the message and the narrative, and ignoring the problems with dimensional shifting technology, which probably most people wouldn't even think twice about - yeah it was pretty good. The review was pretty good too.

One other comment about the ending. Riker's "You didn't have to kill him" at the end is probably the most ironic line in all of Trek, considering his completely unnecessary vaporizing of Youtah (sp?) just 2 weeks prior.