Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 1 2010, 04:37 PM   #1006
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Re: The unofficial Rock Band thread.

It is a bit scary that this game keeps track of the total number of tracks you have: I've cleared 350! I remember when GHI had 30 main tracks and 20 bonus tracks.

Pro Drums is a lot of fun. Have the extra cymbals makes the drum fills so much better.

I failed exactly where I thought I would in "Free Bird": where there is a constantly snare roll and then crashes are being added on that. I've almost got it down.

I almost sight read "I Can See For Miles" on Pro-Expert, but my leg gave out. I'm going to plug in my extra bass pedal for that.

Anyone know if you can play the Pro-Guitar Charts without having a Pro-Guitar plugged in? I wanted to learn a few songs on my actual guitar and I would feel silly buying the Squire when I have a much nicer Strat already.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 09:16 PM   #1007
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I know it won't let you even select the trainer, so I wouldn't think so... but if you can read tabs, wouldn't that be better?

Also, it looks like the game bombed in the UK along with Guitar Hero. Unless the US numbers are much better, I think the genre is dead now.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 10:48 PM   #1008
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
I know it won't let you even select the trainer, so I wouldn't think so... but if you can read tabs, wouldn't that be better?

Also, it looks like the game bombed in the UK along with Guitar Hero. Unless the US numbers are much better, I think the genre is dead now.
The game didn't bomb...
The launch bombed...
Old November 2 2010, 05:28 AM   #1009
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Will RB have a long tail? Maybe. But starting at 8k copies is kind bad either way.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old November 2 2010, 03:52 PM   #1010
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

According to a press release, "Subdivisions" comes out today.

However I haven't seen it in the Rock Band store for the Wii.

Any idea what time (EST) it may be released?
Old November 2 2010, 04:31 PM   #1011
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I haven't checked the Wii store in ages, but I think only MS updates during the morning hours.

Old November 2 2010, 08:52 PM   #1012
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Fender announced their Squier pricing: 279.99, with a release date of March 1, 2011.
http://www.fender.com/rockband3/excl...-YHJ7R-A437-v1

Old November 3 2010, 06:27 AM   #1013
Aragorn
Admiral

Is something different about the RB3 gameplay? I'm trying to play a song I rock on, using the same level, and something is just off about it. I can't really explain it, but I'm missing notes I never miss. I calibrated and everything.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 06:45 AM   #1014
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Calibration sucks. I used the RB2 guitar autocalibrate on both games, RB2 was perfect... RB3 I have no idea what's going on. The number says 30ms difference for video, same on audio... it feels wrong... the old numbers feel better but I don't have much confidence in them.

What really gets me is the extra transparent fretboard. Makes it really hard to pick up notes with breakneck speed on, which is how I normally play. They really need to darken that thing up, I'd prefer an option for solid black actually, and make it a bit longer overall too. They really love all the cutesy dress-up avatar bullshit in the background that I have no use for, and pay no attention to.

For all it has done well, the Rock Band series has really sucked on fretboard customization and speed modifiers. Also.. March for the Squier guitar? Ouch... I guess I'll pick up the Mustang and try to sell it down the road when I want to upgrade.

Disappointing that the biggest draw for me comes out 4+ months after the release of the game.
Old November 3 2010, 01:24 PM   #1015
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
Calibration sucks. I used the RB2 guitar autocalibrate on both games, RB2 was perfect... RB3 I have no idea what's going on. The number says 30ms difference for video, same on audio... it feels wrong... the old numbers feel better but I don't have much confidence in them.

What really gets me is the extra transparent fretboard. Makes it really hard to pick up notes with breakneck speed on, which is how I normally play. They really need to darken that thing up, I'd prefer an option for solid black actually, and make it a bit longer overall too.
I played the demo just now, but i had no problem with cailbration or the fretboard, which is only half transparent...
Old November 4 2010, 11:36 PM   #1016
Yoda
Rear Admiral

For hard stuff I need two things to hit it. First, the notes have to be spaced out enough and be scrolling fast enough so that I can read the pattern/rhythm on the fly, and second I need to see 'em early enough to read them. The spacing and scroll rate was always handled fine by Breakneck Speed in RB2, even though I would've liked more options than just a whopping two speeds... but the way the neck is more transparent, it becomes infuriatingly difficult to read the notes in time and very easy to lose some completely to the flashy background crap.

Haven't played Guitar Hero in a while, but it seemed like they were doing a much better job right from the get-go when the franchises switched. GH3 had like 5 or 6 speeds, and the fretboards weren't bad.

With pro keyboards, if anything, I'd want a slower scroll speed.
Old November 4 2010, 11:53 PM   #1017
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Can I use RB2 instruments on Warriors of Rock for wii
Old November 5 2010, 02:23 AM   #1018
Aragorn
Admiral

I used Rock Band instruments on the last two Guitar Hero games that came out (which are also the last two GH games I'll ever play), so you're probably good. Of course, Wii might be a whole different beast than Xbox and PS3 when it comes to the plastic instruments.
Old November 5 2010, 05:30 PM   #1019
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Also the commercials say that there is support for over 2000 songs, but when log into the music store, it says there are 1,300 songs?
Old November 5 2010, 05:51 PM   #1020
Aragorn
Admiral

Perhaps they're including the Rock Band Network songs in addition to the songs you can import from RB1, RB2, Lego Rock Band, Green Day Rock Band and the AC/DC track pack.